cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Automatic Transmission Fluid Level

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II
2006 Toyota - Am I supposed to check the fluid level with the motor running or off? I assumed off, but someone told me today the motor should be running.

Thanks for any help,
Brad
Wake Up America
2019 Lance 1062 and 2018 F-350 CC PSD 4X4 DRW
Tembrens, Rear Roadmaster Sway Bar, Torklift 48" Extention and 30K Superhitch
Our New Lance 1062 Truck Camper Unloading at Dealer Photos
10 REPLIES 10

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
wilber1 wrote:
enblethen wrote:
It should not matter whether it is park or neutral. Probably manual says park so it doesn't roll away or get bumped into drive and run over you.

Quite possibly but it can make a difference depending on whether the pump fills the torque converter while in park. Not all transmissions do or anyways did.

X2

My 05 Ram does not pump fluid in park.
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for all the responses. They generally confirm what I just learned the other day that the motor should be running and the tranny in neutral.

What pissses me off about this is that it is NOT written on the tranny dipstick. The dipstick only has a Hot & Cold mark and then the type of tranny fluid: Toyota T-IV. The dipstick handle has a label that says the fluid โ€œnever needs changing under normal conditionsโ€. And the +300 page ownerโ€™s manual barely mentions the tranny. It only tells the type of fluid and the drain capacity. It never mentions when or how to check it.

This is a 2006 Camry which we bought new. Itโ€™s been a great car but I think I have been driving it a qt low for 165,000 miles.

Thanks,
Brad
Wake Up America
2019 Lance 1062 and 2018 F-350 CC PSD 4X4 DRW
Tembrens, Rear Roadmaster Sway Bar, Torklift 48" Extention and 30K Superhitch
Our New Lance 1062 Truck Camper Unloading at Dealer Photos

Mike_LeClair
Explorer
Explorer
Well, at least you can check it. On my brothers 2010 Tundra there is no way to check the trans fluid yourself. Yup, it is a dealer only item. There is no dipstick for the trans. We checked with Toyota and they confirmed it. Just another way for the OEM to force you to their shop even for the most mundane maintenance issue.

On another note, on our RAM diesel the truck MUST be in neutral to properly check the trans fluid level. Checking it in park will give a false reading.

Cheers All!

Mike
Something Old, Something New
2012 F350 SRW, 6.7l Powerstroke, 3.55's front and rear.
2008 Fleetwood Regal 325RKTS
Mike, Carol and our 4 legged "furry child" Kenzie Shweenie Tod

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
It should not matter whether it is park or neutral. Probably manual says park so it doesn't roll away or get bumped into drive and run over you.

Quite possibly but it can make a difference depending on whether the pump fills the torque converter while in park. Not all transmissions do or anyways did.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Look at the dipstick itself - it will usually tell you.

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
What does your manual say? I've always checked other transmissions while running in neutral but the manual for my 2011 Ram says to check it running in Park.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Should be running, warmed to normal operating temperature, checked with transmission in neutral.

X2
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

MARK_VANDERBENT
Explorer
Explorer
Always at idle. So yes it should be running. It will say that on dip stick.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Should be running, warmed to normal operating temperature, checked with transmission in neutral.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker