Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Auxillary Fuel Tank ?

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
2006 Chevy 2500 - 6.0

My Chevy 2500 has only a 26 gallon gas tank and the range is not too far when towing a trailer.

Curious...is there an auxiliary tank available for gasoline?

Ideas?
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer
45 REPLIES 45

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
No thanks on $1500, I will just keep what I have.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
I know that deal with only a 26 gallon tank! My old 97 F150 with the 5.4 had a 26 gallon tank... It got to 1/4 tank so fast!

Got the 13 F150 with the 36 gallon tank and where I was stopping for gas on a 200 mile trip, I don't have to worry about gas at all until I get there.. I still stop every couple of hours just to stretch the legs and such, but not having to get gas makes it an easier stop..

As was said, if you can get a replacement tank with the extra capacity in the stock location, that's the way to go...

Good luck!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
I install a transfer refuel in my F350 from Trailer Supply. First 2 pumps were Fill Right 12V & both crapped out in under a month from another supplier. I now have the GPI pump from tractor supply about a year. I mounted the pump on the drivers side and always fuel the TV from it and refill the transfer tank from the station pumps, keeps fuel fresh. Otta see the attendants eyes when you hand them $200 on pump 3, 80 in the transfer and 38 in the TV. ๐Ÿ™‚ :W
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
Aluminum Tank Industries makes DOT refueling tanks suitable for gasoline. I have one of their diesel transfer tanks. It seems to be a well built product at a fair price.

happy2rv
Explorer
Explorer
I've been looking into the same thing for a 2017 RAM 1500. From everything I've been able find out, it appears that auxiliary tanks for gasoline have been outlawed. There are lots of options for diesel, but nothing for gasoline. There are a few options for transfer tanks. The difference being that a transfer tank sits in the bed and holds fuel, but is not plumbed into the fuel system or fed into the stock tank. You would have to pull over, get out, and pump the fuel into the onboard tank. I've found titan has 15 Gallon saddle tank but it doesn't have a built in pump only siphon. I've also seen combination toolbox / transfer tanks with built in pumps in the 50+ gallon range.

I have a 26 gallon tank and the only option I've come up with for a larger plumbed in tank is, as others have suggested, to replace the stock tank with a larger tank if it was an option or there is an aftermarket tank available. I followed the link enblethen posted above and it appears the tanks from summit are only for diesel as well. I haven't seen an aftermarket larger tank for the RAM. The OEM XL tank is 33 gallons and if you can find a dealer willing to quote it, most won't, the consensus seems to be it will be in the $3-4K range. Not worth it to me for 7 gallons.

With respect to others advice of just stopping, its not always that easy. It's a chore to get into and out of even the large Travel Stops with a 37' trailer in tow. I start looking to fill up around 1/4 tank and most times its not a problem, but on at least one occasion I have had to resort to finding a spot to unhook the trailer because I was running on fumes and there wasn't a gas station I could get the trailer into. I tend to stop and stretch my legs every couple of hours, but I prefer to do that where there's plenty of room to park. There are also still a few areas of the country and especially the trans Canada highway where I would definitely want more range than my stock tank offers.
2018 Forrest River Salem Hemisphere 282RK - 2017 RAM 1500 TV

Previous RVs and TOADS
2004 Fleetwood Bounder 32W on WH W20
2000 Four Winds 5000 21RB
1986 27' Allegro
TOADS
2005 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD
2004 Suzuki Aerio
1988 Chevrolet Sprint

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Why not replace the small stock tank with an after-market larger tank.
52 gallon fuel tank

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

LanceRKeys
Explorer
Explorer
Did any of the trucks of that year come with a bigger tank? If so you might get a good deal at a junk yard. If not that, I would second the titan suggestion.

Colo_Native
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on Titan. 500+ range. Took a little while to get used to the fill up cost.
2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
pushed by a 2011 Fusion Hybrid or 2020 Escape Hybrid
Retired DFD

Titan Fuel tanks... I have a 51 gallon that is sitting in the same spot that the original tank was sitting in under the truck
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
Second the post above to use Google and decide where to go from there.

FWIW, although diesel, I had a previous truck with a small-ish tank and a big 5th wheel. It was not a problem stopping, as per others, about every 200 miles....but we got an auxiliary tank (125 gallon) anyway. The biggest benefits were: a) if we wanted to stop every few hours we could, but we didn't have to; and b) with about a 1200 mile range between aux and factory tanks, even if we wanted to stop a lot, we never had to fuel during the day and could top off in the evenings after we parked for the night and no longer had to worry about maneuvering through the stations with a 39' 5th wheel on the back.<<<< that was worth the price right there.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
It's sure good to stop and walk around for a bit, it really makes the trip seem easier as we get older.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
I prefer not having an auxiliary tank so I have to stop every 200 or so miles to get fuel and stretch my legs.

When I was younger we would drive for 8 hours with fuel stops as needed. Now that we are older we try to limit our daily drive time to a maximum of 4 hours and usually hit 2-3 hours a day. Makes for a less stressful towing experience.

As others have indicated there are many options for auxiliary tanks or larger primary tank.

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
If Transferflow does not make an in-bed auxiliary gasoline tank (that pumps directly into the truck's main tank), they do make in-bed refueling tanks. Not as convenient as an auxiliary tank, but they give you the same additional range.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
We installed a Transferflow aux tank in our '99 F250 V10. At that time, towing our fiver, we got 9mpg. It stopped at every gas station. The aux tank helped, but we eventually traded in our current truck.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, there are several different brands out there, with prices all over the map. They aren't as common as diesel auxiliary tanks, but they do exist. It would probably be easiest to google "Auxiliary gasoline tanks". You should get a lot of hits, and decide where to go from there.

I have a 36 gallon tank for my diesel and it is wonderful. Very much a worthwhile investment IMO.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"