cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Average Fuel Mileage

West_Beachhouse
Explorer
Explorer
We are updating our tt from less than 5000'. We are looking at a Wind River GVWR of 8300'. Our TV is a 2003 Dodge 2500 quad cab diesel. If your rig is similar what kind of fuel mileage could I expect overall (flat/mountainous).
21 REPLIES 21

powderman426
Explorer
Explorer
Last time I went from Ohio to Yellowstone and back at total of 5300 miles pulling the 10k fiver in my profile, I got 9.85 mpg. My truck is also a similar truck to yours.
Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
32' Gulfstream Ameri-Camp & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work

nohurry
Explorer
Explorer
While I agree with those that say that you get an RV, you expect not to pass to many gas stations. I like to keep track of my mileage just as an early indicator of of a possible problem.
Carl
2007 National RV, Sea Breeze

Turbo_Diesel_Du
Explorer
Explorer
I just hook and go. Not worried about milage. Wrong game if you worry about milage. JMHO
charles weidman

Bill___Kate
Explorer
Explorer
Even though we have a completely different TV, towing capacity is about the same. I think the frontal area of the trailer is a bigger factor than the weight - at least at highway speeds. Our old trailer was 6500 lbs, and was about 10.5 feet high. The current trailer is 8600 lbs and is 12 feet high. Our mileage, with the same van was 10 mpg with the old trailer and dropped to 9.5 with the new one .....
Bill & Kate - Stone Harbor, NJ
w/ Bailey (standard poodle) and Zeke (partipoodle)- both rescues
2018 Ford F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab w/ 6.2L gasser
2014 Forest River Wildcat 272RLX fifth wheel

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Don't even worry about it. When we realized that towing a house size brick all over the country would take fuel and lots of it, we started having more relaxation and fun.

Mileage is for grocery getting and commuting, not RVing.

But, to answer your question, you will get about the same as you got before.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
About the same weight is my trailer. I average just over 10 MPH flat land or Colorado mountains. High has been 12.6 MPG and low has been 8.8 MPG (mostly depending on wind direction and strength). The only time going up hill should effect average MPG is if you don't come back down again.
Good luck / Skip
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ok, you must mean pounds, not feet.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman