cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

awning covers

dockmasterdave
Explorer
Explorer
I read a thread here several weeks ago about making your own awning cover out of PVC. I found a much lighter, much cheaper plastic drain pipe, cut about 25% out lengthwise. It snaps on and off easily, weighs about 1 pound, and has holes to allow the water to dry out, without the sun getting to my awning. Hope I load the pics right. This is my first try.
First time with photobucket. I copied the url but the image button isn't working. Any suggestions?

http://i960.photobucket.com/albums/ae83/dockmasterdave/awning%20cover/awningcover1.jpg

http://i960.photobucket.com/albums/ae83/dockmasterdave/awning%20cover/awningcover2.jpg
2014 F 150 ecoboost
2008 Chrysler Aspen
09 Amerilite 21 (modified)
2013 Bendron 14' enclosed cargo
2011 4x8 open cargo
25 REPLIES 25

1buda
Explorer
Explorer
I like the idea. Do you have to take it off or leave it on while driving down the road?

dockmasterdave
Explorer
Explorer
Covering the awning with a black cover will only make it hotter in the sun, making it counterproductive

And a petri dish of mold, because of the extra heat.

C'mon guys, I live in south west Florida. Had this on all through rainy season in the sub tropics. My awning never even needed cleaning. If you choose not to use it, fine. It is posted for the benefit of anyone who chooses to use the information. Isn't that the whole idea of this forum. I have learned a lot from people here, and appreciate it.

Come up with something better.

If you are just looking for an argument, have a nice time, let me know how it came out, I won't be there.
2014 F 150 ecoboost
2008 Chrysler Aspen
2011 4x8 open cargo

rgolding
Explorer
Explorer
wmoses wrote:
IAMICHABOD wrote:
A very good Idea. I am not throwing rocks, but wouldn't it be more productive if the cover was white like the rain gutters that have been used on other home made covers?

Covering the awning with a black cover will only make it hotter in the sun, making it counterproductive

Good point although the underside of my awning is black, so I have the warming effect built in whether I want it or not. But then it might not be a bad idea since the added heat would more easily evaporate the rolled up moisture in the awning if put away in the morning mist.

And a petri dish of mold, because of the extra heat.
Smooth Sailing,
Ric and Jan
Southern Illinois

2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS "Low Key"

dockmasterdave
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the input. I really like the idea of painting it white, but since the pipe is flexible I might have to try a couple different paints till I get the right one. I'm leaning towards the krylon for plastic.
2014 F 150 ecoboost
2008 Chrysler Aspen
2011 4x8 open cargo

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
IAMICHABOD wrote:
A very good Idea. I am not throwing rocks, but wouldn't it be more productive if the cover was white like the rain gutters that have been used on other home made covers?

Good point although the underside of my awning is black, so I have the warming effect built in whether I want it or not. But then it might not be a bad idea since the added heat would more easily evaporate the rolled up moisture in the awning if put away in the morning mist.
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

muelldawg
Explorer
Explorer
That is a neat cover and I'm going to do it also.
THANKS
Richard & Marilyn
2010 Jayco, Jay Feather, Sport 16.5 feet
2010 Ford F150, V8, 5.4 liter

muelldawg
Explorer
Explorer
That is a neat cover and I'm going to do it also.
THANKS
Richard & Marilyn
2010 Jayco, Jay Feather, Sport 16.5 feet
2010 Ford F150, V8, 5.4 liter

LynnandCarol
Explorer
Explorer
I like this allot! And it could easily be spray painted white.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

gaymeadowsman
Explorer
Explorer
Looks good to me. I may have to "borrow" that idea.
John ๐Ÿ˜›
Ted :R

in search of the next one
2010 Chevy Silverado Ext Cab LT
2015 Chevrolet Impala LT