cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

awning leaking at the connection

janechucknicode
Explorer
Explorer
has anyone had this problem? I believe it is a carefree? any way as we have just started to get some real bad rain here in GA. we found right abouve THE DOOR, it leaks? Any soulutions? or suggestions on sealing?

Thanks a bunch
chuck
7 REPLIES 7

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
Mine does the same thing, though it's an antique. I sealed from the top at the end of last season. Haven't tested it yet. If you seal it from the bottom, the water can theoretically pool behind the gutter.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

Cecilt
Explorer
Explorer
I sometimes get some water dripping through the rain gutter where the awning attaches and see the beads on the side of the camper. Nothing major but things like this bother me. Are you caulking from underneath at the bottom of the rain gutter or on top the roof and above the raingutter? tks

pappcam
Explorer
Explorer
93Cobra2771 wrote:
handye9 wrote:
Here's a link to a video of replacing the awning fabric. Watching it, may give you some pointers on where to look, and what to seal.

My awning had a leak where there was a butt joint in the track that the fabric slides into. From the roof, I could see a bead of caulking that was supposed to seal that joint. The caulking had cracked. I cleaned it up and recaulked (non leveling dicor lap sealant). All is good.

x2 - mine had the same joint above the door that wasn't sealed well.

Exact same problem on my TT. I didn't use anything but clear exterior silicon and all is well.
2023 Grand Design Imagine 2970RL
2011 F150 XLT 5.0

alenk
Explorer
Explorer
I have had the same problem, and caulking finally stopped it. However, the manufacturers should take note of this and quit putting the awning in the rain gutter. That is the cheapest shot the manufacturers have taken on the public in a long time. I'll never buy another travel trailer with the awning in the gutter. Another metal rail just below the rain gutter with the awning in that is the only right way to do it.

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer
handye9 wrote:
Here's a link to a video of replacing the awning fabric. Watching it, may give you some pointers on where to look, and what to seal.

My awning had a leak where there was a butt joint in the track that the fabric slides into. From the roof, I could see a bead of caulking that was supposed to seal that joint. The caulking had cracked. I cleaned it up and recaulked (non leveling dicor lap sealant). All is good.

x2 - mine had the same joint above the door that wasn't sealed well.
Richard White
2011 F150 Ecoboost SCREW 145" 4x4
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs/Air Lift Wireless Controller
2006 Sportsmen by KZ 2604P (30')
Hensley Arrow

janechucknicode
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks a bunch on that link and the thought on sealant too.
๐Ÿ˜„
chuck

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II

18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)