cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Awning LED Strip install

AaronV
Explorer
Explorer
Most every project that I attempt outside of work(I am a carpenter) ends up having complications or just not going smoothly, even the simplest things. This project actually went real smooth and turned out surprisingly well so I feel the need to show pictures!

I've seen some threads where people go through the power awning power access area but mine was full of foam. I had to think of another approach so I bought a PVC junction box to hold everything water tight.

Used an old laptop power supply plug end to wire up to the 12v.

Everything tucked in the box with IR sensor out the bottom. I got the 12v from fishing wire up over the roof, down through the refer vent and spliced in behind the refer.

All closed up.
2013 KZ Sportsmen 242SBHSS
2005 GMC Sierra 2500 HD 6.0L
71 REPLIES 71

Racefan1
Explorer
Explorer
Could you tie into the outdoor light? If so how would you wire it in?
Sounds like a good power source to me, but electrical is not my forte.
We put 3M tape on the back of Sylvania Moseic lights and have the PVC box all wired to convert to 12 volt I can hardly wait to install them, but some guidance on the electrical would really help. I really would like to tie into the outdoor light. The light is a typical oval beside door light.

pchartrand
Explorer II
Explorer II
hops wrote:
Can these be wired in the middle of the run easily?

I'd like to tap my porch light, but it is not near the end of the run.

Yes they can, just clear away some of the silicone gel covering the contacts that align with you porch light (preferably before you hang them). Add a little solder to tin the cut point and solder on a piece of wire. (You will want the wire to lay flat. Put the strip on the RV, and place a dab of silicone over the solder point to waterproof it. Run the lose end of the wire into the porch light and make your connection. Use some of the silicone to hold the wire in place on the side of the trailer. Geocell 2300MHRV works good maybe use clear for the light waterproofing and white for the tacking the wire to the side.

Enjoy,
Pat
2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR
2017 Chevy Colorado (Duramax)

hops
Explorer
Explorer
Can these be wired in the middle of the run easily?

I'd like to tap my porch light, but it is not near the end of the run.

MegaWonder
Explorer
Explorer
DD716TED wrote:
DD716TED wrote:
I have a fully operational LED Light strip now installed on my TT.. I used commercial 1/2" 3-m trim tape on the awning rail and then stuck the 3-m tape that came attached to the LED strip to the trim tape.. It is solid.. NOW the DW wants a strip under our patio cover on the house.. I am reluctant to use the same mounting method (3M trim tape + 3M tape on light strip) that I used on the TT because the additional 3M trim tape is black and would stand out against a white patio cover. IN YOUR OPINION, would just using the 3M tape that came on the LED strip work OK on a metal patio caver taht is stationary and not subject to the same conditions found on an RV?

After one season of use, many of the LEDs on the trailer failed due to what I believe moisture (older string of LED lights that I don't believe were waterproof).. Now I am going to replace them with a new waterproof set of lights.. PROBLEM... I mounted them to the underside of the awning rail using 3M trim tape.. when I removed the old set, they easily peeled away from the trim tape.. but now I am having trouble removing the trim tape.. the channel that the tape is in is only about 3/4" wide and hard to get at.. a plastic razor blade it to wide.. and a heat gun might damage the awning fabric.. any ideas on how to remove this trim tape??

How about trying to cut it out using fishing line. You might be able to make a tool (like a dental floss pick or this device itself with heavy duty floss ๐Ÿ™‚ ). wedge the string behind old adhesive strip and saw while pulling across cutting through as much of the old strip as possible. Finish up remaining glue residue with a โ€œgoo be gone?โ€ type product or possibly a little bit of kerosene on rag and old tooth brush. Please use necessary caution/care, eye skin protection etc. and read all safety labels while using these chemical products. Hope that helps you or someone else.
2010 EVERGREEN EVERLITE 31RLS

2010 RAM 3500 SRW MEGA CAB 4X4 with 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel Auto, 3.73 gears

DanKirk
Explorer
Explorer
This is the kit that I suggest: RGB+WW Strip with RF Remote

This strip has both RGB LEDs and Warm White LEDs, so that you can change colors, or get a true warm white. The remote is RF instead of IR, meaning that it will work from up to 30 meters away, and does not need to be line of sight, and you don't have to install a sensor that is visible to the remote. It has a silicone sleeve for outdoor waterproofing. It is pricier than the others, at $65 for the kit, but it has several advantages to the cheaper ones.
2017 Windjammer 3006WK
2011 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4 Crew Cab Cummins Turbo Diesel

CND_SuperCrew
Explorer
Explorer
Okay, in a couple of weeks my TT is coming out of storage and headed to the dealer to have hail damage repaired. The owner is a great person to deal with and said this would be a great time to install the LEDs. I need suggestion from ebay:

*Waterproof
*Extreme winter storage
*Multicolor/brightness

I've read that the 5050 are the best to use??

Thanks in advance...
TV 2012 F150 loaded XLT EB SuperCrew 7700GVWR Maxtow 6.5'
TT 2021 Keystone Passport GT 2870RL

Spappy
Explorer
Explorer
I wish I was half as handy as you that are doing this yourself. My trailer is relatively new and I haven't even screwed anything onto the wall yet. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ I do appreciate all of the ideas tho and all of the installs look great. I think in two years I may get up the courage to try it myself. lol
Spap

TheGriswolds
Explorer
Explorer
Well after a few weeks of beating around the bush I finally ordered some LED light strips. They are on the way from China and I'll be installing them next Friday. My method will be as follows, please point out any problems you might see or potential pitfalls...
I will be taking power directly from the battery with two leads of 18AWG wire, tucked into 3/8" black wire conduit and zip tie it every few feet to the propane line that runs underneath the entire length of the trailer. I will use an inline fuse (5amp) and a toggle switch will be installed, hopefully in the PVC junction box that the OP used in his install. If not I'll weatherproof it with hot glue and mount it on the outside of the box. I figure sense it is hardwired to the battery and will be hot all the time I should put a toggle switch on it in case the lights go haywire. The controller will be in the PVC junction box and be screwed onto the outside of the stair frame with the IR sensor pointing down. I ordered a 8ft extension for the pigtail that will run from stair frame up the door frame to the top of the door where they will connect to the light strip that will be held in place with the 3M double sided automotive tape and the sticky tape that the strip comes with. Hot glue the other unconnected end of the light strip for weatherproofing purposes and then see what happens All splices will be soldered, heat shrank and I will use liquid electrical tape where needed.
2011 F-250 Supercrew 4x4
2013 Keystone Cougar 31 SQB

DD716TED
Explorer
Explorer
DD716TED wrote:
I have a fully operational LED Light strip now installed on my TT.. I used commercial 1/2" 3-m trim tape on the awning rail and then stuck the 3-m tape that came attached to the LED strip to the trim tape.. It is solid.. NOW the DW wants a strip under our patio cover on the house.. I am reluctant to use the same mounting method (3M trim tape + 3M tape on light strip) that I used on the TT because the additional 3M trim tape is black and would stand out against a white patio cover. IN YOUR OPINION, would just using the 3M tape that came on the LED strip work OK on a metal patio caver taht is stationary and not subject to the same conditions found on an RV?

After one season of use, many of the LEDs on the trailer failed due to what I believe moisture (older string of LED lights that I don't believe were waterproof).. Now I am going to replace them with a new waterproof set of lights.. PROBLEM... I mounted them to the underside of the awning rail using 3M trim tape.. when I removed the old set, they easily peeled away from the trim tape.. but now I am having trouble removing the trim tape.. the channel that the tape is in is only about 3/4" wide and hard to get at.. a plastic razor blade it to wide.. and a heat gun might damage the awning fabric.. any ideas on how to remove this trim tape??

ffbillyny
Explorer
Explorer
pchartrand wrote:
ffbillyny wrote:
I purchased and installed these China lights last summer. I spliced into the 12v from my porch light. I used the existing housing from the porch light to hold the receiver and sealed it with silicon. Finished the install and first try the lights went on...I was impressed. The only problem is the remote control did nothing. I emailed the company and have since received 2 additional remote controls and receiver boxes, none of which have worked. Does anyone have anything thought? Anything I can try? They do work with one color, so it is not a totally lost cause. I would just like to be able to use all of the colors.

The remote and reciever is IR (Infrared)and requires line of site. On the reciver there should be a small wire with a black tip on it. This would need to be outside the porch light housing. You would then point the remote directly at it. there are some pretty good WiFi and RF solutions for these as well that do not require line of site.

Yeah, I wired the receiver to hang on the outside of the porch light housing. I have tried the remote at every distance and angle imaginable and still nothing. I might just have to try the WiFi or RF options. Thanks!

ffbillyny
Explorer
Explorer
Rthomas61 wrote:
ffbillyny wrote:
I purchased and installed these China lights last summer. I spliced into the 12v from my porch light. I used the existing housing from the porch light to hold the receiver and sealed it with silicon. Finished the install and first try the lights went on...I was impressed. The only problem is the remote control did nothing. I emailed the company and have since received 2 additional remote controls and receiver boxes, none of which have worked. Does anyone have anything thought? Anything I can try? They do work with one color, so it is not a totally lost cause. I would just like to be able to use all of the colors.

One set I received had no connection from 2 of the 3 wires to the strip. Was able to solder them on but since fell off the TT.

GENTLY pull back the connection sleeve from the wire to the strip. You'll see the connection point. See if they are all connected

Thanks! I will double check all of the connections. I have a feeling the are all good because I can get the three different colors depending on how I make the connection. At this point I am at a loss, so I will try everything.

pchartrand
Explorer II
Explorer II
ffbillyny wrote:

The remote and reciever is IR (Infrared)and requires line of site. On the reciver there should be a small wire with a black tip on it. This would need to be outside the porch light housing. You would then point the remote directly at it. there are some pretty good WiFi and RF solutions for these as well that do not require line of site.
2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR
2017 Chevy Colorado (Duramax)

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
MARLANDO wrote:
Mine have a few more colors even white,

http://www.amazon.com/Sylvania-Mosaic-Flexible-LED-Light/dp/B00AAVLDOQ

Nice install and like the colors, but this kit only has 8' of LEDs...how long is your awning?

Racefan1
Explorer
Explorer
The lights that I have had success with are the Sylvania Mosaic brand. They seem to be of good quality and are American made.