cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

awning

elynnet
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased a new awning last September, didn't use it until this year. Because of the way it is manufactured (with a seam running the width of it, about 6 inches out from the camper) it leaks every time we have rain. The manufacturer says it's supposed to leak!!!! But it should seal itself in time as dirt accumulates in the needle holes. In the meantime, they suggested I run paraffin wax along the seam. I am flabbergasted that they realize the awning leaks, and they're okay with that!! Has anyone else experienced this?
12 REPLIES 12

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
JAYHAWKERS wrote:
Try SEAM GRIP (available at Amazon) on your awning seam. I have used it to repair leaks in breathable/waterproof chest waders. Wonderful product and very inexpensive/easy to use.SEAM GRIP

That is the stuff to use, it is a urethane product. Never use the garbage latex seam sealer.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
3 new awnings on 3 different trailers, none ever leaked! do you have a pic of the seam? I can`t imagine a seam in from the edges of the awning, unless it has a sun shield at the top.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Aluminum_Siding
Explorer
Explorer
JAYHAWKERS wrote:
Try SEAM GRIP (available at Amazon) on your awning seam. I have used it to repair leaks in breathable/waterproof chest waders. Wonderful product and very inexpensive/easy to use.SEAM GRIP

Hay thanks for this. I never knew such a ting existed.

JAYHAWKERS
Explorer
Explorer

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
That's ridiculous. Did they say that it was sewn with the kind of thread that's used in HTT tents? Is the seam near the top or middle....either would not be satisfactory, but wonder that their logic is. Sunshade, my......foot!
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Neither of my awnings leaked, and neither had seams.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Vet_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Had the same problem, it evenly slowed leaking, but never stopped. When I called the manufacture they said it was not suppose to be water proof, it was a sun shade. I believe mine was a CareFree.
2008 Itasca Sunrise 35A
2008 Honda CRV Toad
2016 Chev ZR1 Colorado Toad

"We Traveled To Alot Of Different Places While On Vacation, Until The wife Asked Directions"

Marauderer
Explorer
Explorer
JohnnyG73 wrote:
Strange that there is a seam in the awning at all. Walmart sells seam sealer in a small bottles. It's designed for use on any kind of tent fabric and easy to use. The bottle has felt/sponge for an applicator. It works similar to a bottle of shoe shine. Just rub it on both sides of the seam, let it dry for a day, and repeat. It works great for tents and I have used it to seal pin holes in my older awning.

X2 if the dealer/manufacturer doesn't make it right and that's what it sounds like. I have used that sealer a lot back in my tent camping years.
Barry:B
USN (Ret.)
20 GD Reflection 337RLS
07 GMC Sierra D/A CCSB, to many mods, Anderson Ultimate with B&W rollover ball gooseneck hitch, Torque Lift Stairs, 20 ft Flag Poll
15 Grand Cherokee Limited EcoDiesel
"Red" the little Bear Dog
12 Yanmar Sc2450

JohnnyG73
Explorer
Explorer
Strange that there is a seam in the awning at all. Walmart sells seam sealer in a small bottles. It's designed for use on any kind of tent fabric and easy to use. The bottle has felt/sponge for an applicator. It works similar to a bottle of shoe shine. Just rub it on both sides of the seam, let it dry for a day, and repeat. It works great for tents and I have used it to seal pin holes in my older awning.

You get what you pay for... And I hope you did not pay too much for that leaky awning!!!!!! There is no way I would accept that answer if ... Yes I may be 100% wrong... But in the 25+ years of camping , and a couple awning replacements. , I have never had a leak... Unless I caused if ! :B
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
The seam should not leak. That said, there is awning repair tape that could be used over the seam to cure the problem, which should not be there in the first place. Paraffin wax might melt in the sun, especially where I live.
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

McDaddy
Explorer
Explorer
Neither my original awning (which was destroyed in a microburst) nor its replacement have leaked.