cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Back Up cameras.. The sub $100 wireless ones any good?

afishinado
Explorer II
Explorer II
I need to put a camera system on my new to me TV... Can't see squat behind the tailgate. I was perusing ebay looking for one, there are thousands of them for under $100 some wireless. Anybody with experience that can help me out with a review?
2006 KZ - 37 my first RV of any kind
06 Dodge 3500 Mega Cab Dually Cummins
Travel 2+ months a year with wife, 2 dogs and 2 Harleys
13 REPLIES 13

Dragonfly
Explorer
Explorer
My under $100 (on sale) back up camera from an auto parts chain works OK for the money. It picks up interference every now and then but is mostly reliable. It is great for lining up on a trailer hitch. For more extensive back up use I might step up the quality.

I mounted my screen on a shelf I installed that runs above the windshield, behind the visors, so I don't have to hide it from thieves like I do with my GPS. I also plugged into a 12 volt outlet with a switch so the monitor isn't on all the time, only when I need it. The camera is wired to the back up lights.

I want to add a camera to the back of the trailer and am considering options. One has two cameras and one monitor which shows the truck view when disconnected, the trailer view when connected. Whatever goes on the back of the trailer I have my doubts wireless will cover the distance but, many folks have had it work (with more expensive set ups than the $100 kind). If the cheap wireless I have would work, I might consider putting a plug connection on the camera / back up lights connection then, unplug it, move it to the trailer license plate and plug it in there.
DRAGONFLY - 2011, Provan Tiger CX, on a F350, 4WD, regular cab chassis

mooky_stinks
Explorer
Explorer
I got one at Advance Auto. It's one that goes on the license plate. I paid $120. It's wireless, has infrared and a bigger screen than their $100 version. I use it year round in upstate NY and it's performed flawlessly.
2020 F150 XL Screw 4x4 6.5”box
3.5 ecoboost Max tow HDPP
7850 GVW. 4800 RAWR
2565 payload

2020 Cougar 29RKS 5th wheel

jmcgsd
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a $20 solution that works well for me:
Hitch alignment
I got mine at Harbor Freight at a parking lot sale.
'09 Pacific Coachworks Tango 276RBS
95 Lance 880 Truck Camper

'91 F350 Dually 2WD CC 7.5L (76K Original miles!)
AirLift Bags, Reese Titan hitch, Rancho 9000X

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you shop on Amazon you can set your self up with a nice wired version for less than $100. I bought my camera for my Pioneer stereo and it was around $20. A decent monitor is around $70 or so. I priced it because my wife would like one for her van.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Iraqvet05
Explorer
Explorer
I went the eBay and Amazon route and spent about $50 for a wired back up camera. Here is the camera I bought linky that has lasted almost 2 years and several trips thru the car wash. I bought a $20 TFT monitor on eBay and a 15' RCA extension to complete the package. The video quality is not as stellar as the factory set up on my wife's Exlorer but it gets the job done. As KMP44 stated, there is no depth perception with the camera mounted low but I learend where the shadow the tounge casts on the ball to figure out where I need to be.
2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Look at this set up. Piece of cake to install...It's permanent and works great.

Hopkins Hitch Cam Link.

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
My 2010 F150 Truck came with one and it is the cats meow... This has the foot markers shown on the screen and does beeping when things in view get inside the marker area. You can back right up to the trailer hitch and see the hitch go right over the top of the truck mounter trailer ball. I hit the mark first time everytime now...

The lens is part of the the FORD REAR logo on the tail gate. The only problem I have with mine is when backing up it will flare up on if it picks a light source. Rain drops does a number on the view as well... mounted on the bottom of the LOGO catches all the rain water rolling off the logo..

I guess the newer trucks probably are prewired for these systems.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

afishinado
Explorer II
Explorer II
I can use the wifeiball in some situations. But it will lead to getting wife version 1.2...
2006 KZ - 37 my first RV of any kind
06 Dodge 3500 Mega Cab Dually Cummins
Travel 2+ months a year with wife, 2 dogs and 2 Harleys

Fastfwd75
Explorer
Explorer
Does it really work to 100'? I already have the backup camera but no way to see behind the trailer. Is the view wide enough to backup a trailer solo?
Eco Camp 20BH
Ford F250 Lariat 4x4 4.30

KMP44
Explorer
Explorer
the_happiestcamper wrote:
I use the iBall - works for me.

X2. We use the iball. Works really well and much cheaper than a divorce lawyer.

Whatever setup you go with, I found that putting the camera up towards the top of the tailgate makes it easier to tell when you have the ball under the tongue. Mounted it too low the first couple times and had no depth perception - which defeated the purpose.
2005 F-150 FX-4
2013 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
Should've bought one of the new GMC's they show all in their back up camera. you can back up on a dime. I've driven my BIL's new 2500 and it is the best truck I even driven. Mine comes in in mid June can't wait!
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

i_Corky
Explorer
Explorer
Check Home Depot online!
"Corky" & Marj Sullivan

If you focus on the problem, it gets bigger
If you focus on the solution, it gets bigger
You decide!

the_happiestcam
Explorer
Explorer
I use the iBall - works for me.
Me ('62), DW ('61), DS ('97), DS ('99), DD ('03)
2003 Yukon XL 2500 8.1L 4.10 axle
2010 Dutchmen 28G-GS

CG's we've been to