cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad wander

cracker465
Explorer
Explorer
Have 2017 ford 450 with a 1172 Lance. When on the highway and the tires go over where the pavemet connwects the truck wander bad. Have fight the steering. Tires have 3500 on them. They are continetal I have contacted them and the dealer. The tire co said to lower the pressure on the front to 70. Made it worse. Its getting harder to drive. These are commercial tires. Help Thanks
11 REPLIES 11

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
bob_nestor wrote:
I had two 2004 E350 RVs. One drove like a video game - absolutely no road feel at all and if I didn't stay on top of it constantly it would wander all over. The second drove like a car - good road feel, no wandering and tracked straight as an arrow. Now the difference could have been alignment or caster as others have pointed out, but both were aligned by the same shop presumably to the same specs. I talked to a Ford engineer about the problem once, and he told me it was a simple firmware adjustment in the fly-by-wire system that just required a tweak to add more feedback into the system. He told me any Ford dealer could have preformed that adjustment.

Say whaaaaat??
It was probably just low on blinker fluid on one side or the other..
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Given the F450 of that year that we should be discussing info about 19.5s with stock Gs and a pronounced shoulder ... not Es or less.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

cracker465
Explorer
Explorer
I will for sure check it out

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had two 2004 E350 RVs. One drove like a video game - absolutely no road feel at all and if I didn't stay on top of it constantly it would wander all over. The second drove like a car - good road feel, no wandering and tracked straight as an arrow. Now the difference could have been alignment or caster as others have pointed out, but both were aligned by the same shop presumably to the same specs. I talked to a Ford engineer about the problem once, and he told me it was a simple firmware adjustment in the fly-by-wire system that just required a tweak to add more feedback into the system. He told me any Ford dealer could have preformed that adjustment.

cracker465
Explorer
Explorer
The wheel ruts are not that great. Its where the pavement meets. Middle of the highway and the shoulder

mi_drew
Explorer
Explorer
Another possibility could be the wheel ruts in the highway caused by heavy truck traffic. If it does it on any and all roads then it must be something on the truck. I ran into this once.

kohldad
Explorer III
Explorer III
From Popular Mechanics May 1973

QUOTE:
"If too little caster exists, the car will wander and weave, thus necessitating constant corrections in steering."

And for a heavier tire, the more caster needed. This is why off-roaders have the problem when they go to a larger tire and set the caster to factory specs after the lift.

I would insist that the dealership recheck the alignment and set the caster to maximum side of the specs allowed. IF that dealer doesn't work on a lot of large truck (i.e. only works mostly pickups and cars), find a dealer that has more experience with F450 and up trucks. Remember, the warranty is provided by manufacturer, not the dealership.

Also, as Old-Biscuit suggested, weigh the truck. Then you can check with the tire load chart and ensure you are running the proper pressure for the load.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think it must be the tires as my F350 with Lance 1161, what is very close set up - drives like Cadillac and most of the time it is 2 fingers control.
I have 62 psi front, 75 rear on 17" tires

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
19.5s do feel different than other tires. I can't say if you are feeling something strange or normal. I'm assuming they are tracking when there is a distinct indentation in the road. If so, that is just something to get used to.

80 is probably the pressure to have at max GVWR. The will get better with more wear. Some 19.5s are worse than others. NOTE: I've been running 19.5s for around 11 years with 4 different brands.

Oh, and the low profile tires on my Mustang track as well, so it's not just a 19.5 thing.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer
From Popular Mechanics May 1973

QUOTE:
"If too little caster exists, the car will wander and weave, thus necessitating constant corrections in steering."

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
GO weigh truck with camper on it........

Find out actual weights on front and rear axles.

What pressure WERE you using in tires?
Which 'Continentals' are they??
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31