cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery charge leads for pop up TC

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
My battery is inside the camper on the floor under the step up to the bed. It is enclosed in an airtight box vented to the outside. In other words, it is not fun to gain access to!!!

I want to be able to charge the battery with a stand alone charger instead of going through the inverter. Much less time on the generator.

I would like to permanently install some type of leads to the outside for easy access that would also be weather resistant.

Is there such an animal?

Thanks..........DJ
'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.
13 REPLIES 13

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
bb_94401 wrote:
DJ -

A place called VTE Warehouse sells power posts, terminals, terminal insulators, fuses and holders. I used them for parts when I re-wired the power lines inside the TC and wired power from the truck to the TC.

They have three versions of auxiliary power posts.

A 50A Auxiliary power connector that can be mounted through surfaces up to 3/8" (~$5 per post)

A Brass Core Jumper Bushing (350A) (~$10 per bushing)

A Through Panel Jumper Bushing (300A) where you use the plate it comes on as a drill guide (~$20).

Yeah!! These are the guys I wanted. Thanks bb.

I also bought some Anderson Connectors to do the same thing to my TT.

Thanks everyone!!
'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.

Oldtymeflyr
Explorer
Explorer
On our Outfitter we have an inverter/charger. It has worked very well.

Battery Minder of battery charger fame has a bunch of connectors listed on Amazon. We have one on a pesky BMW battery..... and its well made, cheap and works.

Good luck.

bb_94401
Explorer
Explorer
DJ -

A place called VTE Warehouse sells power posts, terminals, terminal insulators, fuses and holders. I used them for parts when I re-wired the power lines inside the TC and wired power from the truck to the TC.

They have three versions of auxiliary power posts.

A 50A Auxiliary power connector that can be mounted through surfaces up to 3/8" (~$5 per post)

A Brass Core Jumper Bushing (350A) (~$10 per bushing)

A Through Panel Jumper Bushing (300A) where you use the plate it comes on as a drill guide (~$20).

An alternative to the metal liftgate dual contact plug and socket is the Anderson PowerMod HP "A" series. Unlike the Anderson PowerPole connectors (great inline, in cabinet connectors), the HP series has a nice panel mount socket and plug. I've mounted this under the wing of my camper to provide alternator charging of the TC battery bank. Worked great. Can order online at Mouser Electronics out of Mansfield, TX using the Anderson part number (~$25 ea).

You might consider adding a megafuse at the battery or a switch so the posts are not always powered, in case of a short. Can sometimes be found a local autoparts, marine supply or battery dealer.
'05 Ram 3500, 4x4, DRW, LB, 6spd man, CTD, PRXB exhaust brake, Roadmaster bar

'01 Corsair 10'8" - 4,200 lbs., Xantrex XADC 80A, Link 20, 4-Lifeline GPL-4CT, PowerGate Isolater, 2 AWG wire, PI 30A EMS, 2 Honda EU2000i, parallel kit, ext. duration tank.

bka0721
Explorer II
Explorer II
Geewizard wrote:
whizbang wrote:
Go with a 30A Anderson powerpole.

see powerwerx.com

My battery is equally inconvenient in the bed of my truck. I have a cable in a cloths closet with a 30A connector so I can plug in a charger, or, for that matter, plug in the computer or whatever.

X2

Just a reminder, as i posted earlier in this thread, these same connectors can be found at your local NAPA and other Auto Parts Stores. Or, order them and pay shipping, your choice. If they don't have them in stock, they will bring them in, and you don't pay shipping. If you need the part number for NAPA's Anderson Connector (Powerpoles), PM me. If you need some suggestions on how to crimp the connectors to your cables, let me know.

b
08 F550-4X4-CC-6.4L Dsl-206"WB GVWR17,950#
09 Lance 1191
1,560wSolar~10-6vGC2-1,160AmpH~Tri-Star-Two(2)60/MPPT~Xantrex 2000W
300wSolar~2-6vAGM-300AmpH~Tri-Star45/MPPT~Xantrex 1500W
16 BMW R1200GSW Adventure
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
whizbang wrote:

see powerwerx.com

My battery is equally inconvenient in the bed of my truck. I have a cable in a cloths closet with a 30A connector so I can plug in a charger, or, for that matter, plug in the computer or whatever.

X2
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
300W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
Xantrex Freedom X Inverter 3000W
2 Fullriver 105AH AGM batteries
Air Lift WirelessAIR and air bags
Hankook Dynapro ATM 10-ply tires

whizbang
Explorer II
Explorer II

see powerwerx.com

Whizbang
2002 Winnebago Minnie
http://www.raincityhome.com/RAWH/index.htm

Wheelholder
Explorer
Explorer
dj, you could also use a type of lug they install for jumping off semis. Under the hood, I have just a lug (bolt like) that has a plastic cover that is threaded onto it. Hook jumper cables to it and then to ground, can jump the truck off without going into the battery box.
2008 Silverado crew cab Duramax/Allison
2008 Lance 830

Mello_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
cewillis wrote:
There's this - (unless you're looking for some 'standard' connectors)

Socket
Plug

I use it in my alternator charge circuit.

I like that metal connector, Cal. I was going to suggest that DJ use a plastic two prong connector, but I like yours better.
2016 Northstar Laredo SC/240w Solar/2-6v Lifeline AGMs/Dometic CR110 DC Compressor Fridge
2013 Ram 3500 4x4/6.7L Cummins TD/3.42/Buckstop Bumper with Warn 16.5ti Winch/Big Wig Rear Sway Bar/Talons w/SS Fastguns
My Rig
1998 Jeep Wrangler
US Navy Ret.

Scott16
Explorer
Explorer
Good information posted. Thanks DJ for the original post.
Scott
US Navy Retired IC1(SW)USS Fletcher DD-992

bka0721
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hey DJ. Not sure where you are going to have your connectors located, but if you have access like I do, just use some Anderson Connectors/Marine Connectors. These are readily available (I buy them/parts often) at NAPA and other automotive suppliers (in different sizes). You will also find many shrink tubes and other electrical lugs/supplies, at Home Depot. I use the Anderson Connectors to connect and disconnect my different A/C and D/C sources, as well as a stand alone chargers. One of these days, when our paths cross again, i will show you some of these improvements.

b
08 F550-4X4-CC-6.4L Dsl-206"WB GVWR17,950#
09 Lance 1191
1,560wSolar~10-6vGC2-1,160AmpH~Tri-Star-Two(2)60/MPPT~Xantrex 2000W
300wSolar~2-6vAGM-300AmpH~Tri-Star45/MPPT~Xantrex 1500W
16 BMW R1200GSW Adventure
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr

cewillis
Explorer
Explorer
There's this - (unless you're looking for some 'standard' connectors)

Socket
Plug

I use it in my alternator charge circuit.
Cal

shellbackcva59
Explorer
Explorer
Consider an onboard marine deep cycle battery charger. Such as these. You hard wire them to the battery so no need for battery access after initial installation. http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/browse/on-board-chargers-inverters/_/N-1100565/Ns-CATEGORY_SEQ_104465880?WTz_l=SBC%3Bcat104794380%3Bcat104698080

sabconsulting
Explorer
Explorer
Hi DJ,

My old multi-stage battery charger broke (after I dropped it one too many times). So I bought a CTEK MXS10 charger. It is only 10 amps, but that is fine for my single battery. But it is a multi-stage intelligent charger and can handle AGM too (if I had them).

It seems happy to be plugged into the camper battery when I have hookup and doesn't get confused by the voltage drop caused by appliances coming on, unlike my last 'intelligent' charger which would decide the battery was dead, and go on strike.

Also, and this is where it is relavant to you, I have a battery buried under the step, but this charger comes with a quick-disconnect cable that you can permanently wire into the battery, but then disconnect the charger and plug in normal crocodile clips in order to charge other vehicles - i.e. I have not been forced to dedicate this charger to the camper only.

So what I have done is wire that quick-disconnect cable in so that when the floor of the wardrobe is back in place hiding the electrics below, it pokes out through a gap in that floor. I can then put the charger in the wardrobe and plug it into that cable. It also has a temperature sensor that you can wire permanently to your battery and that you plug in too.

Cheers,

Steve.
'07 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab diesel + '91 Shadow Cruiser - Sky Cruiser 1
'98 Jeep TJ 4.0
'15 Ford Fiesta ST
'09 Fiat Panda 1.2