Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Trailer

JSerenaCA
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,

Finally bought my first RV, Jayco JaySwift TT, I am soooooooooooo excited. So I would like to ask, if you were starting out again and were making a list, what would be the "must" have items for your first trip? I got the towing and brake assist stuff already added, so I am covered there. But don't know what else I should get for our first trip. Thanks and we will see you on the road!!!!
12 REPLIES 12

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
Lots and lots of that attitude. Enjoy!

Spappy
Explorer
Explorer
I stumbled on this RVing FAQ here a couple days ago. It has links to several threads on how to stock a trailer, etc. Great information. Congrats BTW and welcome!

Spap

jffkrn
Explorer
Explorer
Like the others have said, buy stuff, don't buy stuff, etc. We have been RVing for over 15 years and have had our turn at buying everything we thought we needed and then sold a bunch of stuff and then bought more stuff, smaller, more compact etc. So, I agree, camp at a campground close to home and only pack enough food, supplies and water for the few days, you will be there. Wander around and get ideas form other campers in the park, campground etc. They are usually all willing to help our, give advice, help you out etc. A lot of it is trial and error. We for example use wet wipes for our hands a lot, paper and plastic ware. We have it down pat enough to be gone about 5 days or so with usage of only about 5 to 7 gallons of water per day. All the little things we do are basically from trial and error etc. So again, tap your neighbor(s) and web sites for info. Good Sam Club member tips are a good place as well. Sorry to be long winded, I could go on and on and on. Good Luck & Be Safe ! ! !

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Camp in your backyard the first time and a park close to home a couple of times after that. Then you will get a good idea of what you want to take. Remember the more stuff you take the more weight you have to drag along behind you. Less is best.

jimw606
Explorer
Explorer
I suggest a small tackle box filled with extra fuses and bulbs, for camper & TV. Maybe a FLY BOX.

Steeljag
Explorer
Explorer
DaDubs wrote:
The most important thing will be a pen and paper.

Then you can write down all the things you will need for the second trip. 🙂

..........and Beer !
2018 Forester 3011DS
2010 Flagstaff 26RLS (Sold)
2012 Ford F-150 Screw Ecoboost H/D 3.73
1930 CCC
Going where the weather suits my clothes !

DaDubs
Explorer
Explorer
The most important thing will be a pen and paper.

Then you can write down all the things you will need for the second trip. 🙂
2013 Ford F150 Ecoboost
2012 Keystone Passport 2910BH
Chris, Kyla, Brooke(daughter, 20), Griffin(son, 7), Maddie (daughter, 5),Boozer(14 yr old Shih-Tzu)

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Take a short "maiden voyage" that is near some shopping area(s). As you enjoy your first outing, you'll be near a store for anything that's a "must have today". Otherwise, don't be in a hurry to buy a bunch of stuff. But, the following items are on my "must have" list:

1. Extension cord for your main power cord. It should be the same gauge as the cord attached to the trailer, not just a typical heavy duty cord you would have in the garage. Buy it before you leave!!

2. Have at least 25' of water hose!

3. Although I was lucky for the past 29 years, with the electronics in trailers now, I would by a really buy a good surge protector that also protects your trailer from low/high voltage and improperly grounded outlets. They run over $200, but cost far less than repairing/replacing your AC unit, refriderator circuit board, or power center. I just purchased the Progressive Industries PT30C...found it for $230. Do some searching on the topic and find out how many people have had problems with power connections in campgrounds.

4. An extra length of sewer hose.

5. Make or buy some leveling blocks!

6. Wheel chocks!

7. Make a check list for hooking up and the reverse. There are some apps available for tablets/cell phones. You can probably find a stock check list and modify it for your trailer and tow vehicle.

8. Never, never back up with out someone spotting for you. I made the mistake of trying to back up my then new Sunline trailer in our driveway....didn't think about the garage roof overhang and gutter attached. One gutter spike made a nice little hole in the aluminum siding on the rear of the trailer. Boy, did I feel a little sick and stupid! We learned to use two way radios back then, but today, cell phones work fine!

9. One comfy folding chair, complete with drink holder should be available for the driver and captain of the camper!

Enjoy your new trailer, and start making some great memories!! You'll be surprised at how fast the camping times fly by!!
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

avoidcrowds
Explorer
Explorer
Go to this thread. It was started here a few days ago. Lots of suggestions.
2017.5 Lance 1995
2017 F150 EcoBoost, Max Tow
Most camping off-road

1mtnman
Explorer II
Explorer II
korbe wrote:
At the top of my list would be: #1. Don't buy anything until I'm sure I need it.

Very good advise. If you use a list developed by someone else a year from now you will wonder why you bought many of the items on that list. Use your new purchase and find out for yourself what it is that you really need, buy it and save yourself a lot of weight by only carrying what "YOU" need.

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
At the top of my list would be: #1. Don't buy anything until I'm sure I need it.

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the forum. You will get some great advice from a bunch of good people.
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"