cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery size & capacity Lance Squire 8000

jmcgsd
Explorer
Explorer
As I have mentioned in a couple of other posts I am considering returning to a TC and made an offer on a very clean older Lance Squire 8000 last night.

It has been parked and sitting for several years and the battery is completely dead even after the TC was connected for 48 hours. I know, I know could be something in the charge controller, but I'm presuming battery for the time being.

The problem is that the TC is parked so close to a stone wall I can't get a good look into the battery compartment to see what size or how many batteries are installed. So for those of you with a similar unit, does it handle a group 27, 29, 31???

On a related issue, it has electric Atwood jacks. I've had these on two previous campers and as I remember there needs to be battery power for the jacks to operate. You can't run them off AC because they draw too much current through the converter and pop the breaker. Am I correct in this?

Thanks.
Joe
'09 Pacific Coachworks Tango 276RBS
95 Lance 880 Truck Camper

'91 F350 Dually 2WD CC 7.5L (76K Original miles!)
AirLift Bags, Reese Titan hitch, Rancho 9000X
6 REPLIES 6

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Truth is that with dead battery still connected it is hard to tell without checking.
Most of dead batteries check as open circuit, so attaching truck parallel should not be a problem, but if the old battery makes short, it needs to be disconnected.
In my Fleetwood battery has disconnect relay with switch on the wall and relay itself on the wall behind cabinets.
A bit work to get to the relay, but if it has to be done, it has to be done.
If battery has no disconnect switch, you should be able to disconnect it at converter.
Same guess with battery compartment size. Too many variations. My Fleetwood fits 2 golf cart batteries with room to spare that I use for extension cords.
Lately I put long battery from sedan in it. The long battery will not fit into my Superduty diesel, but will fit into camper.
Bottom line, you never know for sure.

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
Yes, you cant run the jacks directly thru converter- needs battery.

If its so close that you cant see would you be able to swap battery?
Might need to manually raise to extract camper. Possibly, if you can disconnect old battery-use jumper cables to a good battery ensuring cant short, but dont know how much room.

I assume when battery checked after being plugged in that it was that, battery checked. Not operation as most have a disconnect switch but that might be off though if its been sitting for that long I would think battery is toast.

As too size cant help- dime against a dollar room only for one 12v.
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

Mote
Explorer
Explorer
I might be way out in left field here but....from the inside of the camper at the electrical box is there a spot that the battery cables connect to the panel that a person could use a good battery and some wire to hook up to and power the jacks to get the camper on a truck?
2005 Dodge 3500
2001 Lance 1030
2006 Cougar 29RL

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Sounds like unless the jacks have a manual override, you're screwed.

If you can't get to the battery compartment there is no way to disconnect or replace the batteries so you can operate the jacks! Plugging the truck in won't help because the flat dead batteries will overload the charging circuit from the truck.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have Atwood jacks and the small charger alone will not operate them, but connecting to truck plug will.
I would hold on battery purchase till you can measure what size will fit.
You want the biggest battery you can get and if you can fit - two golf cart batteries are the best deal.
Good luck on the purchase.

fourscoot
Explorer
Explorer
Lance's website has an owner support tab, where you will find brochures and owners manuals as far back as 1993. The answer to your question may be there.
Lance Clicky