cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery

msue
Explorer
Explorer
I had to replace the battery in my 23B. It requires a group 27 deep cycle battery. Found out when the dealer replaced the battery a few years ago, they put in a24 cycle. Anyway, It has been about weeks since the new battery was installed.

I put a Diehard 6v/12 v battery charger and maintainer on it yesterday and it was still charging this morning. I read the instruction booklet and it says the charger is not meant for a large battery, such as a marine deep cycle battery, that is not fully charged. What do I use? I used it with the old group 24 deep cycle battery.

Suzanne
16 REPLIES 16

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
msue wrote:
Well, I just realized I didn't put the thing back in battery disconnect so battery was not charing while plugged into my 30amp plug.

That's an odd way to word it.

But it does need to have the battery switch ON for anything to be connected to the battery.....including the converter/charger.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

msue
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I just realized I didn't put the thing back in battery disconnect so battery was not charing while plugged into my 30amp plug.

scrubjaysnest
Explorer
Explorer
msue wrote:
I had to replace the battery in my 23B. It requires a group 27 deep cycle battery. Found out when the dealer replaced the battery a few years ago, they put in a24 cycle. Anyway, It has been about weeks since the new battery was installed.

I put a Diehard 6v/12 v battery charger and maintainer on it yesterday and it was still charging this morning. I read the instruction booklet and it says the charger is not meant for a large battery, such as a marine deep cycle battery, that is not fully charged. What do I use? I used it with the old group 24 deep cycle battery.

Suzanne

Get a 15 to 20 amp smart charger; that's what we use and WFCO that came with our coach is as useless as the one we had in Trailmanor.
Axis 24.1 class A 500watts solar TS-45CC Trimetric
Very noisy generator :M
2016 Wrangler JK dinghy
“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
6v-12v??? how many amps? 5 amps per battery is about minimum. 10 to 40 amp is better.

less than 5 amps is for maintaining a charged battery.

msue
Explorer
Explorer
You guys are great! I always receive help on this site.

msue
Explorer
Explorer
Bikendan,
I now have it plugged into shore power.I will have to see if I have a hydrometer and see how to use it.
Thank you.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
suggest you Google "the 12 Volt Side of Life I and II".

it will help you with understanding how the 12v system in your Jayco works.

the group 27 should be fine to use the charger with.

but why haven't you just let the trailer's converter keep it charged by leaving it plugged into shore power.

much easier than hooking up a separate battery charger.

you should test the battery with a hydrometer, to make sure all the cells are good.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
pitch wrote:

It should not take any more tha 6 or 8 hours to fully charge your battery with a standard charger

There is no such thing as a "standard charger".

He said " I read the instruction booklet and it says the charger is not meant for a large battery".
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611

msue
Explorer
Explorer
Pitch, I had it on the 12 volt yesterday for about 15 hours and it was still charging.

msue
Explorer
Explorer
Sam, thank you for the info. I had the trailer connected to my Yukon, but I turned car off and plugged into shore power.

Steven, I will look up the book. Thanks.

Just hope I haven't wrecked the life of my new battery.

pitch
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am thinking that your charger will be fine
Make sure that you set it to the 12V side and charge away.
It should not take any more tha 6 or 8 hours to fully charge your battery with a standard charger and probably a lot faster than that.

stevenicol
Explorer
Explorer
Your local library should have this booK:
https://books.google.com/books/about/Managing_12_Volts.html?id=zJkHAAAACAAJ&source=kp_cover&hl=enManaging 12 Volts by Harold Barr

I've read this many times; it's very informative, and it's a fun read!

Good luck!

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
First you need to determine if your RV has a built-in converter/charger that makes 12v when plugged into shore power or when a generator is running.

If it DOES, then that is probably the best way to get the battery charged up initially; then you can use the external charger you have to KEEP it charged when not being used.

Even though your charger says it is not for "large" batteries, it probably will work IF you leave it connected long enough......like maybe a couple of WEEKS.

Hopefully someone familiar with your model of RV can be more specific.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
msue wrote:
Thank you for your response. But is my battery considered a large battery? My trailer is a Jayco hybrid 23B. Guess that really has nothing to do with the battery problem.

Suzanne

You can use any size battery you want, the bigger, the better.