cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Been thinking about upgrading

Golfcart
Explorer
Explorer
So its getting close to that time where my 16ft trailer is finally starting to get too small for my family. Ive been doing some research on upgrading to a: rear bath, 26ft(or so), under 5500lbs dry weight, and came across a couple that tickled my fancy

So far the front runner is Dutchman Kodiak Express 223rbls. I really like the size of the bathroom, the table being those sturdy post legs, and how light it is.
http://www.unitedrv.com/rv/2016-DUTCHMEN-KODIAK-EXPRESS-223RBSL-NTT-2272

Another one i like is the Keystone Laredo 23rb. The bathroom is a bit smaller due to the outdoor kitchen but i think that outdoor spot would be a great space to have an entertainment package(ditch the grill and mini-fridge and install a television)
http://www.unitedrv.com/rv/2015-KEYSTONE-LAREDO-LHT-23RB-NTT2239

Anyone have any experience with either of these? or have a suggestion of another trailer that is similar to these styles?

Thanks!
2009 Sun Valley Road Runner 16ft
2010 Chevy Silverado 1500
33 REPLIES 33

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Nash 23D is pretty much a carbon copy of the two in your original post.

The Nash 22H has a sofa and a corner bed.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Nash 23D: http://northwoodmfg.com/travel-trailers/nash/nash-23d-2/

Also check out the Blackrock from http://www.outdoorsrvmfg.com/
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

bowebow
Explorer
Explorer
2201 Winnebago Minnie tt. I think has size and plan your looking at. We had one, build quality was good. They have other models in your weight range.
2007gmc duramax 2500hd
2014 V CROSS 30VSK

bowebow
Explorer
Explorer
2201 Winnebago Minnie tt. I think has size and plan your looking at. We had one, build quality was good. They have other models in your weight range.
2007gmc duramax 2500hd
2014 V CROSS 30VSK

Golfcart
Explorer
Explorer
RVcircus wrote:
I'm referring to the Evergreen Sun Valley

http://www.goevergreenrv.com/page/173/Sun-Valley

Golfcart wrote:

New sun valley? I have a 2009 from them, it made it difficult to get value of mine since nada shows they stopped making them in 2008. Maybe same name, different/new company?

Ah ok, that makes sense

Also, those are real nice!

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm referring to the Evergreen Sun Valley

http://www.goevergreenrv.com/page/173/Sun-Valley

Golfcart wrote:

New sun valley? I have a 2009 from them, it made it difficult to get value of mine since nada shows they stopped making them in 2008. Maybe same name, different/new company?
2000 KZ Sportsman 2505 (overhauled & upgraded 2014)
2016 Chevy Express 3500 15 passanger van
6 humans, 2 cats, and a dog
Visit our blog at www.ROWLESmade.com
Our trailer re-build thread

AmericalVette
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a solo camper, no wife, no kids, no pets. About the only thing additional is clothing and personal hygiene items. I buy food once at my destination unless I decide to go somewhere and eat. I have never used my fresh water tank, etc. In other words, I travel light and free. The "yellow" sticker in my rig is off by 427 pounds according to scale. That extra weight must be the beer and ice.
Times fun when you're having flies!

icanon
Explorer
Explorer
hohenwald48 wrote:
We bought a new 2015 Jayco 23RB and kept it for 3 months then traded for a new 2015 Open Range 216RBS. Much more comfortable and seems about twice a big with the two slides. Not a whole lot heavier either and a lot better quality. Plus it's a four season camper so we can still go out while everybody else is huddled in their house.

That 2015 Open Range 216RBS is really nice! Like it.
Loving wife and 2 beautiful daughters.
Chocolate Lab, Lily
2014 Dodge Ram Laramie Hemi 5.7 with 3.92
2014 Dutchmen Kodiak 290BHSL
ProPride 3P Hitch
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30C
Love my Weber Q1200
Me a Happy man on retirement!!!

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lance 1985 and 1995 have similar floorpans in a smaller space, and are built about 1500 pounds lighter. Lance 2295 is about the same size and very close in layout, and still 1000 pounds lighter. I don't know what you have now, but compared to Kodiak Express, any Lance would be seriously an upgrade, not just up-sizing.

Jaycee offers something similar in the Jayfeather 23RBM, Forest River in the Evo T2160.

I have not dug into any of the other Keystone or Dutchmen lines, nor any of smaller TT competitors. I'm sure K-Z has something in more than one of their lines. Sportsmen and Spree Escape target the Kodiak and Kodiak Express market level, Spree is closer to competing with Laredo.

If I wanted to have a boxy (rather than egg-shape) lightweight TT in this size range, though, I would most likely be looking at the Lance, for choice of materials and construction details.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a new 2015 Jayco 23RB and kept it for 3 months then traded for a new 2015 Open Range 216RBS. Much more comfortable and seems about twice a big with the two slides. Not a whole lot heavier either and a lot better quality. Plus it's a four season camper so we can still go out while everybody else is huddled in their house.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Why is it people look at unrealistic terms like "dry" or "shipping" weights when looking for an RV? No one has ever towed a "dry" trailer. You need to start thinking in terms like fully loaded in your research.

Because you have to start somewhere. Hauling every trailer you look at down to the Cat scales can get to be a real pain.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

Kittykath
Explorer II
Explorer II
Golfcart wrote:
Kittykath wrote:
Look at the 2015 Palomino Solaire Ultra Lite 251RBSS. We downsized to this model a couple months ago from a 39' 5th wheel. We needed to find the smartest floor plan with a spacious feeling in the 26' size range. This is it. The larger slide out in such a short trailer made all the difference. And it still only weighs 5,450 dry. It also has the rear bath, not huge but worth the sacrifice for the outdoor kitchen, which is big enough to add a TV and not have to ditch the fridge. Don't know why we never had one before. Sure saves steps in and out of the camper. There is a crazy amount of storage. I can't understand where it all comes from. For your family, you'd have the dinette bed (we modified the table legs) and jack knife sofa as additional sleeping options. They're really not that big of a deal to convert. Take a look at this model. It's the smallest but the favorite of all the campers we've owned. Good luck in your search!

Thanks for the recommendations

I do like all the options that the keystones has, i wasnt sure if they already had an outdoor entertainment package, nice to know!

Now that Palomino Solaire Ultra Lite 251RBSS is right up the alley of what im looking for. Nice looking inside and within my limits of being able to pull. Big thanks for letting me know about it!

No problem. Worth a look! PM me if you'd like. By the way, the 29' in the specs includes the hitch length. The body is just short of 26'.

Golfcart
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
Golfcart wrote:
...Just my wife, daughter, dog, and me. I think the 26ft range with the rear bath/no bunks is all we'll need since our family wont grow anymore

Well, you (just) might want to rethink a bunkhouse style camper. I see a potential for grand children someday, and maybe a son-in-law too. It might be a few years down the road, but why not plan now.

FYI, all three of the campers you've selected pretty much equal. You'll be splitting hairs. However, I would favor the Dutchmen. I had a Dutchmen several years ago, and it was a really good camper. It's just, it had a corner bed, and after a couple years of contortionism to get in and out of bed, we traded for a walk-around bed model.

Nice campers, you'll be happy with any of them.

My daughter is 1 right now so i have some time before i have to start worrying about a son in law lol. But you do have a good point, sometimes it would be nice to invite another couple w/ kid out with us. That Palomino i was just pointed in the direction of still has the rear bath with walk in shower and the extra sleeping room for more people.

It blew my decision wide open for debate with my wife lol, thanks

icanon
Explorer
Explorer
Hondavalk wrote:
Golfcart wrote:
I look at dry weight because i know im going to add a thousand pounds of random to it when i travel. so 6500lbs or so is my ideal maximum weight i want to tow due to the capabilities of my truck

🙂

Same here. Seems easy to do the math :B

X2
Loving wife and 2 beautiful daughters.
Chocolate Lab, Lily
2014 Dodge Ram Laramie Hemi 5.7 with 3.92
2014 Dutchmen Kodiak 290BHSL
ProPride 3P Hitch
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30C
Love my Weber Q1200
Me a Happy man on retirement!!!