cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Diesel to tow 12,000-13,000 lbs?

jhamlin
Explorer
Explorer
Newbie here, so be easy on me eh? My wife & I are just beginning to consider what (used) diesel trucks to consider buying - to pull up to a 13K lb 5'er (not yet purchased). Looking at it another way, what engines and/or drive trains would you advise I stay away from? Diesel is my preference, and 100-150K miles on it isn't a problem if I can review maint. records - oil changes being the most important. We plan to pull the 5'er around 10K miles/year for a few years, out to AZ & back to Michigan. At this point, because there are so many factors involved (rear-end ratios, etc.), I feel somewhat vulnerable in the used truck market. Beyond picking the wrong engine/drivetrain configuration, we're also concerned that we don't wind up with a maint. nightmare or a lemon. Thanx in advance for any & all comments!
41 REPLIES 41

Engineer9860
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
45Ricochet wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
ib516 wrote:
I would suggest a Chevy/GMC, RAM, or Ford (2011+ for Ford) of your choice if buying used.

If buying new, that list would then expand to include the Ford diesel. Nothing wrong with the Ford truck, but the diesel engines they used from 2003 - 2010 aren't ones I recommend people buy, though the 2008 - 2010s (6.4L) are slightly better than the 2003 - 2007 6.0L trucks.

JMHO

X2

X3

X4 :B

e=mc2
In Memoriam: Liberty Belle

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
blt2ski wrote:
I'll take the one that fits my butt the best!

Marty

At this point in life, after some surgeries on the ol' differential, I agree.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

Norskeman
Explorer
Explorer
A 34 foot Big Horn may be too much weight (pin weight) for a 2500HD - even an "older" 3500 HD

The Duramax/Allison have the ratings to pull the trailer - it is the truck design that is the limiting factor (frame, brakes, suspension, tires).
2006 - 2007 LBZ Duramax (Revised piston design lowered compression ratio to 16.8:1 from 17.5:1, a stronger block debuted, and a 32-bit ECU was introduced).
Horsepower: 360 hp @ 3,200 RPM
Torque: 650 lb-ft @ 1,600 RPM

The 2006 model - GVWR's. Someone may have the weight of the truck. Then you can figure out how much payload it will have.
3500HD SRW - GVWR of 9900 lbs
2500HD - GVWR of 9200 lbs.
3500HD dually - GVWR of 11,400 lbs.

If the truck had a good maintenance record there should not be any major component failures.

If you know a diesel mechanic - have the mechanic check it out.

If you purchase the truck - change all fluids and external filters and start a clean maintenance schedule.

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/76-gm-trucks/64-maintenance-fluids/33348-duramax-maintenance-schedule.html

If it has 16" 245 tires - change them to 16" 265's. Gain about 400 lb capacity per tire. Add air bags and bilstein shocks (http://www.kennedydiesel.com/) (That is what I did to a 2004 D/A 2500HD I owned that was used to pull a 32' Everest fifth wheel).
2017 Keystone Avalanche 320RS
TV - 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
jhamlin wrote:
Thanx guys for all your comments. Wife & I bought a 34ft Big Horn last week and are now actively look for the right tow vehicle. Just drove a good-looking 3/4-ton 2006 Silverado with 166K mile on it, and it drove out pretty well. The dealer says he's might be able to get some maint records, but couldn't promise. My questions have to do with maintenance - ie., likelyhood of having to replace a big-ticket item like a turbo or a worn-out Allison. Should I consider getting an engine oil evaluation, and can the same be done with the tranny? Any idea what the average lifetime is on these turbos? Being really cautious here . .

Pretty low. The allie is a great tranny and can put up with abuse. Dmax's are not known to kill turbo's. Turbo should go 250 to 300 grand easy.

Yes you can do oil analysis for both the engine and tranny. I recommend you do both.

If it's the trailer I'm thinking of I think you're going to be short on truck with that trailer. You might check that out first.

Blackstone Labs is a good location for fluid testing.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
jhamlin wrote:
Thanx guys for all your comments. Wife & I bought a 34ft Big Horn last week and are now actively look for the right tow vehicle. Just drove a good-looking 3/4-ton 2006 Silverado with 166K mile on it, and it drove out pretty well. The dealer says he's might be able to get some maint records, but couldn't promise. My questions have to do with maintenance - ie., likelyhood of having to replace a big-ticket item like a turbo or a worn-out Allison. Should I consider getting an engine oil evaluation, and can the same be done with the tranny? Any idea what the average lifetime is on these turbos? Being really cautious here . .

Pretty low. The allie is a great tranny and can put up with abuse. Dmax's are not known to kill turbo's. Turbo should go 250 to 300 grand easy.

Yes you can do oil analysis for both the engine and tranny. I recommend you do both.

If it's the trailer I'm thinking of I think you're going to be short on truck with that trailer. You might check that out first.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
jhamlin wrote:

Make sure that the 2500 has the payload capacity to carry your pin weight and passengers, or you might find your self in my place. I am over GVWR, but still under GCVWR, GRAWR and tire rating. That said carry the "overload" on stock Camper Special spring pack level without using the overloads.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

jhamlin
Explorer
Explorer

blt2ski
I'll take the one that fits my butt the best!

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

wintersun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Everyone will have an opinion but in the GM Duramax a good engine is the LBZ found in the 2006 to 2007.5 (Classic) trucks. Pretty good engine and only weakness is potential fuel starvation but when this happens the engine will limp along and provide you with an opportunity to fix it before any damage is done.

Older Ford diesels are to be avoided though you will be tempted as they often sell for $5,000 less than a comparable Dodge or GM truck of same year and trim level.

calewjohnson
Explorer
Explorer
jasult wrote:
Ford 7.3 or Ford 6.7 engines are good
I just picked up 1999 F350 Dually crew cab for a steel price because of noisy trans converter which is not big problem.
I have 3 Fords with 7.3 engines and they just like to work and pull hard. If money is not a problem look at the 6.7 Ford diesels.

When I was looking for a truck, I really wanted a 7.3 Ford. My cousin has a 1999 with over 300k, not much wrong with the engine, International did Ford right with that engine...

Cale
TV: 2015 6.7 F350 CC LB 4x4 DRW with 14k GVWR option (4.3 gear), 98 gallon aux tank installed by Transfer Flow
New: 2014 Voltage 3950
Traded: 2014 Outback 323BH
Still Have: 2007 Fleetwood Nitrous 23ft Toy Hauler

jasult
Explorer
Explorer
Ford 7.3 or Ford 6.7 engines are good
I just picked up 1999 F350 Dually crew cab for a steel price because of noisy trans converter which is not big problem.
I have 3 Fords with 7.3 engines and they just like to work and pull hard. If money is not a problem look at the 6.7 Ford diesels.
Jim & Georgeanne + Lucie the beagle
"excavator" on the DieselStop.Com
1999 F350 CC LB Hydra chip
1996 F250 Powerstroke, Tony tunes, BTS trans
1995 Fleetwood Wildness 30 ft 5ver

Our Camping Pics and 5ver Album here
Our Gettysburg trip 2010
Williamsburg, Va

whsk
Explorer
Explorer
get a 3500-i still think the cummins is a better engine choice!-I will take cover now!-whsk

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
jhamlin wrote:
Hey, I want to thank everyone who responded to my query - this is quite a positive community! ]b] It all seems to point to a 3/4 ton Chevy/GM with a D'max & allison - ideally with a 5 or 6 speed - as an ideal setup for us. Especially useful were all the comments on the Fords out there - I would never have known of these problems and might have walked right into some salesman's "ambush"! Thanx again!

Reading comprehension is a funny thing. Although the TV you mentioned was suggested there were other's also. I understand the Ram not being in the mix for some folks, just because it's a Chrysler but you might also consider thinking out of the box :W
Anyway the only reason for the post was to suggest a 35 series over the 25 series of trucks. A 13k lb fiver in most cases will exceed the 25 series ratings.
Good Luck and happy camping.
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

drillking
Explorer
Explorer
If and when you decide on a newer truck, 2011 to present, the F350 6.7 is the #1 selling one ton on the market. The new engine is awesome. I agree, stay away from the 6.0's.
Sheridan & Barb
2014 Lifestyle LS37CKSL
2013 F350 Lariat 6.7 DRW
"On our way to the Gloryland with scenic stops along the way"!