cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Black tank question

scottsnider
Explorer
Explorer
Ok I got my trailer a coleman hybrid 2010 for the large price of $1.00 so no room to complain here, but I do have a question for a problem I have. My uncle sold me the trailer and he used it and stored it here in CA and came out as a snowbird. When hooked up he would keep the black and gray water tanks always open, because of that I can tell there is some waste still in the tank because he never put enough water in to let it move around and then dump. He also would put in those things to keep the smell down not realizing that maybe dumping once a week would have take care of that with enough water. So I have tried using lots of water and some chemicals but how else would you clean that out? I tried to puts lots of water in and drive it to my trip and I am sure some of it cleaned out but what about the rest? Any suggestions?
8 REPLIES 8

llowllms
Explorer
Explorer
Yeast is another good method to use and a lot cheaper. Used this method in our home septic system for years without a problem. After all, that's what a black tank really is.

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
RV-Digest It is a good way to go, so I agree!!
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk båt - Dette må jeg se!

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
X-3 on the waste digester

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
A toilet wand would help.
I got the spinning one at Walmart, for around $17.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

JayGee
Explorer
Explorer
ksg5000 wrote:
If your not in a hurry - go down to local hardware store and buy a bottle of septic tank cleaner/digester - add bottle and fill the black water tank up to max - wait a week and all the crud should have dissolved.

Do this.
Jaygee

2005 Bounder 35E on F53 chassis

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
a built in sprayer on the black tank is a good idea. install one but after you have drilled the larger hole, stick a pressure washer into there and blast the pile to bits. then mount the sprayer.
bumpy

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
If your not in a hurry - go down to local hardware store and buy a bottle of septic tank cleaner/digester - add bottle and fill the black water tank up to max - wait a week and all the crud should have dissolved.
Kevin

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don't use chemicals....just water because that is all that is necessary in a holding tank

BUT neighbor had a trailer that he left black tank drain open and had a really bad case of poop pyramid.
Tried some water & ice......
Tried blasting away thru toilet........
Tried off the shelf rv chemicals........
Tried filling tank and letting it soak for a week.......
Tried..well just about every method suggested and still had 'smell' & hump of poop stuck on bottom of tank directly below toilet.

Finally...bought some stuff by Unique called RV Digest-It.
One treatment and the water that ran out was almost black.
LINK
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31