cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Body Shifted Slightly Off Frame

Johnny7744
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking at a 2016 Cruiser Viewfinder 28BHSS and was told by the dealer that the tow vehicle was in an accident and there is a slight .25 inch shift on the body from frame. He states it tows fine and everything is in working order. It includes a 90 Day national warranty and the title is clean. Should I have any worries about the body shift?

Thanks for your help
41 REPLIES 41

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Johnny7744 wrote:
I am looking at a 2016 Cruiser Viewfinder 28BHSS and was told by the dealer that the tow vehicle was in an accident and there is a slight .25 inch shift on the body from frame. He states it tows fine and everything is in working order. It includes a 90 Day national warranty and the title is clean. Should I have any worries about the body shift?

Thanks for your help

I'm a little late but having worked on a mobilehome/rv trailer assy line let me just say this.
As the trailers frame rolls into the assy line, the wood frame floor joists are bolted to the frames cross members and out riggers. Then a plywood flooring is glued and nailed/screwed down.
The next station sets the already fabricated sidewalls and ends on the floor. The ends and sidewalls are bolted/scr'd together along with lag bolts into the sidewall bottom plate into the floors frame work. Some units may be bolted through both or even the crossmembers/out riggers which is best.
And of course the already assembled roof is set on top and lag scrw'd or bolted together.

Now if the body that sits on the floor, or the floors frame itself, has shifted as much as a 1/4" its possible some bolts or lags screws are loose/bent or maybe some sheard.
Now throw in a few years on the road of twists and vibrations and suddenly the sidewall comes loose from the floor.
Now if your handy and know how to fix these types of issues then sounds like a good purchase.

If your like most folks and don't have the experience/tools/knowledge of how to fix the problem then I would pass.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Unless you can get more of a guarantee then I would pass. I would be worried about what you can't see. If the dealer really thinks that it's not a big deal then they wouldn't have a problem with standing by it for much longer than 90 days. If they won't then leave it.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't necessarily run but am suspicious of the 1/4" thing. Knowing how they are built, in order for the body to shift 1/4" it would require that every screw between the frame and floor be sheared.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

bid_time
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hum, If the frame is straight and I can get in for $0.50 cents on the Dollar I see dollar signs.

Mr_Bojangles
Explorer
Explorer
#1nobby:

My comment (post) said:

I only seen one LOW BALL, which upon review was a true statement.

Somehow you were in disagreement with that determination.

Why? Your posting in total made perfect sense. Someone with your knowledge of trailer structures could determine purchase was a good buy. I was not questioning your post.

See you on down the road!
SAFBVET.....

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Would an insurance company even write a policy for an RV with frame damage, however minor it is perceived to be?
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Drbolasky
Explorer
Explorer
Don't think twice - forget it and walk away.

Doug, Linda, Audrey (USN) & Andrew

2008 Sequoia SR-5, 5.7 L, 2000 Coachmen Futura 2790TB Bunkhouse, Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension, Reese W.D. Hitch/Dual Cam Sway Control, Prodigy Brake Controller, McKesh Mirrors
:B

tn_terry_t
Explorer
Explorer
now I don't mean to sound mean to anyone but I'm afraid the salesman sees "sucker" written across someone's forehead. im sorry but that's the way I see it. who do you think the salesman is looking out for? the buyer? or himself?

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Anything on my new trailer was lucky to be within 1/4" of where it was supposed to be.
I believe 1/4" on alignment specs is normal. (toe should not be affected)

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
it's worth salvage price...IMHO. I would walk away.
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am looking at a 2016 Cruiser Viewfinder 28BHSS and was told by the dealer that the tow vehicle was in an accident and there is a slight .25 inch shift on the body from frame.

there is no such thing as a SLIGHT quarter inch shift between the body and the frame. What is bent, the frame or the body? Neither would be good. Any impact that moved the body from the frame a quarter inch was a significant impact.

It includes a 90 Day national warranty and the title is clean. Should I have any worries about the body shift?

This just about says it all. Tire wear from a frame alignment issue likely will never show up in 90 days unless you take a long trip or many shorter trips. Other things like dry rot from water leaks will never show up in 90 days. The dealer should put a two year comprehensive warranty on the unit or you basically have no warranty as 90 days is essentially nothing. You might pay somebody (uninterested person that is knowledgable, not a dealer's employee) to do an inspection and ask how much it would cost to fix the 'slight' quarter inch issue. Probably would cost so much as to be not economical.

If all you are trying to do is save some bucks on a new unit, the dealers will typically easily go down 25-30 percent on a new unit that would put the one you are looking at only a few thousand dollars difference away from a new undamaged unit and it will come with at least a one year warranty and, of course, no accident damage.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
...was told by the dealer that the tow vehicle was in an accident and there is a slight .25 inch shift....
At the very least, if I was a prospective buyer, I'd like to know how that was determined and measured. I'd also be interested if there was any other damage that has not been cataloged or uncovered.

My initial take is that a dealer found a location where some shift in the body's alignment appears to be .25". That would not be a determination of whether the whole body has shifted or that there is a separation of the walls, floor, or roof. Strange things happen in vehicle accidents and my investigatory skills would be honed, considering the type of construction dealt with.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Johnny7744 wrote:

Thanks for your help
Did I miss the pictures?

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
#1nobby wrote:
Mr Bojangles wrote:

I seen only one reply that said "LOW BALL" and see what shakes.

That's NOT what I said.

This trailer MIGHT be an opportunity given a proper inspection.
My feelings also. Could be a huge money maker in capable hands.