cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

BOY I REALLY DID IT NOW!!

kennyd63
Explorer
Explorer
Well I think I am in a pickle. While I was d checking my wheels logs to make sure they where tight, I notice that 2 of the wheel logs on one wheel (Not the thread ) Just the nuts are striped this are made of aluminum. My question is if I do get a flat will roadside assistant have the proper tools to remove this tire?:M
2019 Braxton Creek 24RLS
2010 Forest River Salem 403FB-Destination Trailer
2014 F150 4X4 Crew Cab
31 REPLIES 31

kennyd63
Explorer
Explorer
schlep1967 wrote:
Some lugs, for some stupid reason, have a thin cover of metal over them that is chromed. If this is the case you should be able to cut and pry that off using a dremal tool and pliers/screwdriver. Once that is off the lug underneath will be actual steel and a smaller socket should fit it.
schlep1967 you where right I removed the thin metal cover that was over the nut and re-tight the nuts.( Before going on the trip ) Also I would like to thank everyone that helped out. I apologize for not getting back to you sooner I do not get on social media when I go camping, unless I have an emergency issue.

Respectfully

Kennedy
2019 Braxton Creek 24RLS
2010 Forest River Salem 403FB-Destination Trailer
2014 F150 4X4 Crew Cab

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
I read that article. It said some "mouth breathers" will snap off all five. At least I only did two. :S
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

westend
Explorer
Explorer
93Cobra2771 wrote:
Wow, who in their right mind would have done that?
Chrysler was infamous but there were others--Left hand lugs
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
93Cobra2771 wrote:

Apparently, some old dump trucks (and maybe others) were manufactured with left hand threaded lug nuts on one side of the truck and right hand threads on the other. Don't know why.

2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer
Richard White
2011 F150 Ecoboost SCREW 145" 4x4
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs/Air Lift Wireless Controller
2006 Sportsmen by KZ 2604P (30')
Hensley Arrow

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
I once worked at a campground that had an old dump truck with and old flat. Nobody had been able to get the lug nuts off to get the tire fixed. Not being one to turn down a challenge I decided I'd remedy the situation.

Put the lug wrench on and wouldn't budge. Used a 6 point with a break bar. No luck. Finally put an 8' pipe on the breaker bar and snapped the stud clean off. Tried another and did the same thing. Finally picked up one of the broken stud/nuts and the nut spun off easy by hand.

Looked a little closer and noticed the left handed threads. I was going to be mean and replace the every other stud with right hands and every other with left hands but decided to just replace them all with right handers.

2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

seaeagle2
Explorer
Explorer
another way to get nuts off is a nut spliter
2014 F 250 Gasser
2019 Outdoors RV 21RD
"one life, don't blow it", Kona Brewing
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life there'd be a shortage of fishing poles" Doug Larson

TxTwoSome
Explorer
Explorer
Many years ago when I was a young man (I said many). I had a similar problem on an old trailer that I had someone had rounded the lug nuts off.(someone else did not check before leaving)

I was stuck on the side of a basically deserted highway in 104 degree heat. I did not want to wait for assistance so my redneck brain began working.

I finally used a pipe wrench to remove them it actually worked quite well.
Bruce & Cindy (Chihuahua's Rambo & Chuy)
2016 Jayco 23RLSW
2014 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Blue Ox SwayPro

SprinklerMan
Explorer
Explorer
I bought my trailer used . It had the original tires . I started taking off a wheel and 4 out of 6 of the nuts were stripping as I removed them . They were not easy to get off . This was using an air gun . The first thing I did was remove ALL studs and nuts and replace them on every wheel , 24 in total .

pira114
Explorer II
Explorer II
He was checking if they were tight. Might be he's already on the road.

Anyway, to actually answer the question, yes, most tow company rigs would have equipment to handle this.

If you'd like to fix it yourself, grab a 6 point socket you don't mind losing. Cheap one at auto parts store, one for each stripped lug. Make it one that is just one size too small and hammer it on to the lug. Then just remove. Probably won't ever get it out.

That or you can try a beefy pair of vice grips with a breaker bar. But that's not as likely to work.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
LeBout wrote:
Don't you just love it when someone posts a question (badly) and members spend two pages discussing what they THINK the OP MEANT to ask, and the OP never responds again? ๐Ÿ™‚

Might be broke down on side of road with a flat and asking himself WHY didn't I read the responses BEFORE I left.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

LeBout
Explorer
Explorer
Don't you just love it when someone posts a question (badly) and members spend two pages discussing what they THINK the OP MEANT to ask, and the OP never responds again? ๐Ÿ™‚
2020 Heartland Wilderness 2500RL
2013 Ford F-150 3.5L Eccoboost Supercrew 4x4, Max tow package
2 Honda 2000 watt Generators
Eastern Oregon, USA

Our Trailer
Our Floorplan
Days camped so far in 2020: 0

ROBERTSUNRUS
Explorer
Explorer
๐Ÿ™‚ Hi, I bought "deep, thinwall, six point, 1/2" drive impact sockets" for my trailer and tow vehicle's lug nuts. You should only use these type sockets to prevent this type problem or after you replace all of the bad lug nuts. My trailer has the stainless steel covers on steel lug nuts and a few were dented by a shop using worn out short sockets on them.
๐Ÿ™‚ Bob ๐Ÿ™‚
2005 Airstream Safari 25-B
2000 Lincoln Navigator
2014 F-150 Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer
Yamaha 2400

peirek
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
dewey02 wrote:
kennyd63 wrote:
Well I think I am in a pickle. While I was d checking my wheels logs to make sure they where tight, I notice that 2 of the wheel logs on one wheel (Not the thread ) Just the nuts are striped this are made of aluminum. My question is if I do get a flat will roadside assistant have the proper tools to remove this tire?:M

Maybe this young Burmese boy was visiting your campground and striping your logs? (He is making them pickle-colored!) ๐Ÿ˜‰

I am sorry, this is just to darn funny. LOL Kudos!
Paul & Lisa
2010 GMC Denali 6.2L with Integrated Brake Controller and backup camera.
God bless the backup camera! It's kept us out of marriage counseling.
2009 MVP RV Coast 26LRBS
Hensley Arrow
TST TPMS