cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Brake connection warning on 2010 Chevy

jrs1871
Explorer
Explorer
We tow with a 2010 Chevy Duramax using the onboard brake controller. On the last two trips we have gotten intermitment warnings to check the trailer wiring connection. But each time we checked, the trailer brake, turn and clearance lights are working.
This has happened on both rough and smooth highways so I don't think road surface is causing the warning. I have used electronic cleaner on the 7 pin connector but that also doesn't seem to be a problem. And I checked the wire connections at the axles and they appear to be tight. So I am thinking the problem may be with the truck. But I am not sure where to start looking.
13 REPLIES 13

jrs1871
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. After we got to our destination, I did a little more sleuthing to track down possible culprits. Putting a multimeter on the 7 pin plug showed that there was full voltage to the trailer brakes and no breaks in the wires.
Closer inspection of the 7 pin connector revealed there was a little slop in the slots. So I used a small flat bladed screwdriver and bent the contacts out to make better contact. Also I trimmed down an emory board and ran it up and down in each of the slots to clean off any buildup. Finally, I sprayed contact cleaner into the trailer plug and put dielectric grease on the truck connector.
It all worked as we have not gotten a warning in over 1000 miles on a wide range of roads.

Busdriver
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some times the female plug is a little lose , I use white l grease or dilectric grease on mine always stops the warning , put a little on about ever 4 or 5 trip

Busdriver

2019 2500 Chevy Duramax , - 2017 Grand Design 303 RLS

IPegasus
Explorer
Explorer
The reply's pointing to the wire inside the axle tube are spot on. I chased this intermittent problem for over a year. The manufacturer had excess wire running from one side to the other and stuffed it back in the axle tube. This caused the wire to fold on it self in the form of a Z, the sharp corners took all the wear as the wire bounced inside the axle tube. That wore through the insulation. The wire was in sad shape that I pulled out. I installed new wire on the outside of the axle and zip tied on.
Problem solved.
2015 Chevrolet 2500HD CC LTZ 4x4 Duramax
Reese DC HP, Husky Brute 4500
1999 Wilderness GL 27F

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
Could also be with the brake wire that crosses inside the trailer axles. Sometimes the insulation is rubbed through to the bare wire and you get intermittent failures.

Very true; the brake wiring is junk on a lot of trailers.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

NEOK
Explorer
Explorer
I had that start happening intermittently on my 2009 Sierra 2500HD then a couple of months ago it would happen every time it started the truck. My independent mechanic traced it to a bad relay that sets in the frame by the spare tire. He said it is in front of the brake control module. He replaced it about six weeks ago and I haven't had any messages or problems with the controller since the..
neok
2009 GMC 25000HD Short Bed 6.0 Gas Engine Crew Cab SLT 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 15C9.5FS
Torklift Talons, Fastguns, Stableload Quick Disconnects, Superhitch & SuperTruss

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
Had that happen on a recent trip. The receptacle that came with the wiring harness that was mounted in the bed had a large socket and allowed the trailer wire to wiggle a little. Replaced it with another that is tighter. I also use a small bungee cord to wrap around it. No issues since.

I had read somewhere that it was a problem with Bargman and they redesigned it.
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

msjdbman
Explorer
Explorer
When my 08 started having these issues....and they were intermittent on my truck, I said nuts on speding well over a grand to have the modules replaced. I installed a P3 so that no matter what, I have trailer brakes. When it acts up now, I just don't have ABS, but I don't care. The brakes work perfectly otherwise, and I never cared for ABS anyway.
2008 Duramax/Allison LT2 Crew cab Standard Box. Hellwig Air Assist. BD Diesel VVT Turbo Brake. 2003 Coachmen Chaparral 295 IKS

NJRVer
Explorer
Explorer
That's exactly what my '09 started doing.
Then it eventually went into a failure in the ABS system which then cut power to the trailer brakes.

It took over 6months for GM to get the replacement part into dealers.
I had to wire in an aftermarket controller in order to tow because they didn't have the part in the entire country.

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
Common problem on GM trucks, usually it says service brake or the message u got. When I get a chance I will try to get a link for u. I saw it on you tube how to fix it. I bought the parts but mine only does it when it rains.... so I think that I have a water intrusion problem on the wiring or the module that I bought to replace.
A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.

RVhiker
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
Could also be with the brake wire that crosses inside the trailer axles. Sometimes the insulation is rubbed through to the bare wire and you get intermittent failures.

I've had exactly the failure that ScottG discusses above. One thing you could do to check for that failure - which could be on either or both axles - is to grab and move gently the wire inside each axle as a helper is looking at the brake controller display in your truck. The wires in the axles often have a bit of slack, so you can slide them in and out from one side a bit and even twist them a bit. Hopefully if that is an issue your brake controller system will show indication of the failure that you have been seeing. Obviously have the truck ignition system on so that electric systems are operating.

The solution for this problem is just to cut the bad wire at each end, leaving some extra wire at each end, and solder in a jumper wire that you can fasten to the outside of the axles with something like nylon wire ties.
There's lots of advice and information in forums...
sometimes it is correct.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2008 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab; Duramax/Allison; Pullrite 14k Superglide Hitch

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
I get those too. I clean the TV to TT connection and I'm fine.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Hope it is on the trailer side or connector...as if in the TV side...potential to be anything/everything in these highly integrated vehicles of today...

From traction control, torque control, emissions control, ABS, automatic controller, ECU, etc, etc...

Am still a fan of P2/P3, as if it is within that, my life time warranty covers (new ones changed to a few years warranty)...or the harness/connector to the trailer.

NOTHING else is tied to the P2/P3 other than the TV's brake light switch sense wire & power sourced from the TV fuse box
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad