cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

brake controller

lancekeys
Explorer
Explorer
I have a time delay brake controller now. If I switch to a progressive brake controller, will the difference be an eye opener, or just noticeable? I am comfortable with what I have now, but looking at a longer trip in a couple weeks, and thought about upgrading. Will it be well worth the money, or should I just spend the money on fuel?
1999 dodge 2500 360 V-8
2002 28' Forest River Wildcat fifth wheel
7 REPLIES 7

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
lancekeys wrote:
I have a time delay brake controller now. If I switch to a progressive brake controller, will the difference be an eye opener, or just noticeable? I am comfortable with what I have now, but looking at a longer trip in a couple weeks, and thought about upgrading. Will it be well worth the money, or should I just spend the money on fuel?

The real difference you will notice with an Inertia, or proportional brake controller like the Prodigy, P2, or P3. The trailer brakes will come on as soon as you hit the brake pedal, not 5 seconds later.( after the accident) You will stop faster, and in a shorter distance. You will stop smoother, and safer. The controller will only supply the amount of braking that the TV is using. In other words the TV, and trailer will stop as one. If you hit the brakes hard. You will instantly get FULL trailer braking. Plus as you stop, and begin to let off the brake pedal. Prodigy will do the same thing, and the brakes will begin to come off the trailer, instead of getting stronger like the time based thing. So there is no jerk at the end of it all.

In short. You will be a lot more safe than you are with a time delay. Throw that in the trash. It is not worth the box it came in.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
Main difference between the P2 and P3 is the P3 has a current read out.

I check my current before each trip. A two axle trailer will have about 1 amp per volt of applied voltage. If I find the current is not close to that value then there is most likely a problem such as a broken wire to one of the brake magnets.

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
I've a time-delay type on the Jeep and a P2 on the new TV, a BMW X5. The main difference I see is in the jerkiness factor, especially when at/near a stop. It also makes a big difference on a gravel road, when there is a tendency for the trailer to lock up and skid with the former, but not the latter. The time-delay type is impossible to feather off to a gentle stop, it always jerks to a halt, and it releases with a jerk when you go to take off with a green light. With the P2, you wouldn't know the trailer was back there unless you looked in the center rear-view and saw only blank whiteness.

poncho62
Explorer
Explorer
I installed a P3 this year....Yes, noticed a big difference...no more jerkiness was the big thing

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
The P2 and P3 are both excellent. Neither seems to perform any better than the other. The P3's setup and usage is easier for most with it's LCD display.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

lancekeys
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, the proportional is what I was referring to. I was looking at both the P2 and P3.
1999 dodge 2500 360 V-8
2002 28' Forest River Wildcat fifth wheel

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
A time delay is also known as a progressive.
What you want is a Proportional controller and yes, the difference is night and day.
I suggest a P2 or P3.