cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Breakfast Griddle

jonitza
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking for a nice big 2-3 burner griddle to use with my new camp stove. I have looked at the ones at the local stores (walmart,target) but cant find what im looking for. Does anyone here use this camp chef griddle. Its exactly what im looking for and gets good reviews on amazon but would like to hear from my fellow campers.

http://www.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-deluxe-steel-griddle/dp/B0000AQO12/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1390050586&sr=8-2&keywords=camp+chef+griddle
11 REPLIES 11

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
The griddle above linked by the OP is is great if your cooking for a crowd. I know of someone with one. No sticking issues at all
However for just solo family trips I use the Coleman roadtrip shown above.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

waynec1957
Explorer
Explorer
Lodge makes several nice griddles. I have one similar to this clickthat's probably 10 plus years old.

We also have a cast iron kettle, two skillets, and two different size Dutch ovens (probably about 60 lbs.)We also use cast iron a lot at home.

The easiest way to cure it (which Lodge says you don't have to do) is to coat the piece inside and out with vegetable oil (or lard if you prefer) and stick it in the oven at 350 for about an hour. I've also done the same thing in a really hot campfire. It stinks to high heaven but it gets the job done.

I NEVER put soap and water on a cast iron piece.
2013 Chevy Sliverado 2500 HD LS Crew Cab
Duramax/Allison, HD Tow Package, GCWR 24,500

2017 KZ Sportsmen S330 IK

_tiredTeacher
Explorer II
Explorer II
jonitza wrote:
Tiredteacher..do you know if they have issues with food sticking to the surface such as pancakes and french toast. Im sure i could use spray to help.

LOL! After cooking 2 lbs. of bacon, ain't nuthin' stickin.' Seriously, they season similar to cast iron so a light coating of something will suffice.

Teach
Wright and Penny
2010 Tundra 4X4
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
"Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows."

path1
Explorer
Explorer
That is exactly what we have. Found it good for many years. They are not light. Nothing wrong with it but last year we found http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-GR-4N-5-in-1-Griddler/dp/B002YD99Y4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=139006701... We find it much more versatile to cook with and love the waffle plates that are extra $$ but you have to provide your own elec via generator or campground elec. The price of each is just about the same. So you'll end up with a waffle iron, hot plate (griddle) and get to experiment with the panini press for some fancy sandwiches. But, We still have the griddle in garage and just can't part with it yet.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

Flyfisherman128
Explorer
Explorer
If cast iron is not seasoned it will stick. If you think you need to soap and water it every time you put it away, it will stick. If the grill is not the right temperature when you put food on it,it will stick. It takes some getting used to but once you figure it out there is nothing like cooking on cast iron.

michers
Explorer
Explorer
Might not be exactly what you need but I use a Coleman propane skillet. I use it for everything from soup to scrambled eggs/sausage to pancakes. Works very well for me.

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
We have a CampCjef and the steel griddle and it works fine with no issues of stuff sticking to it.

jonitza
Explorer
Explorer
Tiredteacher..do you know if they have issues with food sticking to the surface such as pancakes and french toast. Im sure i could use spray to help.

cpaharley2008
Explorer
Explorer
I have an indestructible old cast iron griddle that is 40 years old and still works.
2009 Dodge Ram Hemi 4x4 11,300miles- lifetime warranty
2012 Toyota FJ-500 miles
2014 Escape 21' All Season trailer

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I looked for that when I bought my portable COLEMAN ROAD TRIP grille setup. I have several different griddle tops I can set in place on my COLEMAN..

I use this flat griddle on one side but they also had one that covered the two burners..

Roy ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

_tiredTeacher
Explorer II
Explorer II
jonitza wrote:
Its exactly what im looking for and gets good reviews on amazon but would like to hear from my fellow campers.

Two of my camping buddies have that griddle. They routinely do breakfasts for a dozen folks. The metal is heavy and it has a grease trap. I'd get one myself if I didn't have access to two already.;)

Teach
Wright and Penny
2010 Tundra 4X4
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
"Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows."