cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bullydog GT Diesel Tuner

rlyons
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased a GT Bullydog Diesel tuner for my 2008 - 2500 Ram with 6.7 Cummins primarily to get better mileage around town and better mileage and performance while towing my travel trailer. I also added an AFe cold air intake. I believe I am getting better mileage with these improvements but have not taken the Ram to the mountains to see how it performers there with the add ons. My question is, should I have the truck in "Tow" mode when trailer towing when using the Bullydog tuner in the "Tow" power setting or just leave it up to the BD tuner to do everything. Is the BD tuner just controlling power and does it play nice with the Rams tow mode or do they work against each other?
rthomaslyons
17 REPLIES 17

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
I own a 2004.5 Ram 5.9L Cummins. When I bought it a few months ago, it came with a Bully Dog GT Gauge Tuner on it. I can tell you that forums for Ram Cummins diesel trucks, that tuner has a terrible reputation and is not recommended at all so I'm getting rid of mine

I have spent quite a bit of time on the phone twice with the Bully Dog tech folks, who are assisting me to try to VIN unlock this tuner, as I want to remove it. To the company's credit, the Bully Dog tech people have been very helpful, but the bad news is that so far, they haven't been able to VIN unlock the tuner from my truck. If I can't VIN unlock it, I will have to take my truck to the Ram stealership and have them flash the ECM back to stock. Ugh!! Still hoping to get it VIN unlocked, but not successful as yet.

BTW, OP mentions the Bully Dog tuner gives gauge type digital read outs. That is correct, but mine does not produce one very important bit of data that I want when towing: TFT (transmission fluid temperature). The OBD2 port does supply that data, however, as I put in an Edge CTS Insight Monitor, which does give me TFT. After I somehow get this Bully Dog cleared off my ECM, I plan to buy a Smarty Jr, which is the universally recommended tuner on the Ram Cummins diesel forums for the 5.9L motor. And the EFI Live is the tuner most often recommended for the 6.7L.

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Kip81 wrote:
The canned tunes will work just fine. Leave it in tow mode and you won't have any problems. Yes the custom tunes are better but bully dog and other canned tunes are just fine for the average guy.

Who wants to be "average"???

Canned tuners do an awful job of regulating fuel especially on the bottom end. When you see a guy rolling coal at every stop light you know he's got a******canned tuner.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

Kip81
Explorer
Explorer
The canned tunes will work just fine. Leave it in tow mode and you won't have any problems. Yes the custom tunes are better but bully dog and other canned tunes are just fine for the average guy.

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
BigSkyFamily wrote:
Bullydog makes brutal power...but it will destroy your truck.
Dump that junk and get efi-live with an edge cts insight monitor.
Canned tuners suck.
Check out tunes from Kory Willis, Idaho Rob, and Cumminstuner.com
If you don't have EFI-Live, you'll be chasing someone that does.

^^^This^^^ Canned tuners are second rate...
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

BigSkyFamily
Explorer
Explorer
Bullydog makes brutal power...but it will destroy your truck.
Dump that junk and get efi-live with an edge cts insight monitor.
Canned tuners suck.
Check out tunes from Kory Willis, Idaho Rob, and Cumminstuner.com
If you don't have EFI-Live, you'll be chasing someone that does.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
crcr wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
You are playing with fire. I would leave your truck stock and run TH and EB ALL the time. Your turbo and transmission will be happy. You should have plenty of power towing the RV that you have.

What are TH & EB?

Tow Haul Exhaust brake
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
crcr wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
You are playing with fire. I would leave your truck stock and run TH and EB ALL the time. Your turbo and transmission will be happy. You should have plenty of power towing the RV that you have.

What are TH & EB?

(T)ow (H)aul & (E)xhaust (B)rake.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

wcjeep
Explorer
Explorer
I use my exhaust brake all the time. Still have 50% + brake pad life left from the factory at 108k miles. Using a mild tune with my Smarty programmer.

Greentreena
Explorer
Explorer
from my experience, mileage increases once the EGR and DPF are deleted. I'd be surprised if you get much mileage gain with just a tuner. I went from about 12-13 to 18-20 mpg empty and 10-12 to 12-14 towing (depending on how I drive).

I use my exhaust brake all the time. At 109 000 km, I still have 50% front pads left.

Tow haul changes how the exhust brake comes on and changes the shift points. I use it in the mountains towing but not daily driving.

I leave my tuner on the stock setting when towing and most of the time daily driving. I will crank it up once and a while to play but once the truck is deleted there is TONS of power just at the stock setting.
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7 Mega Cab 4x4 SRW Laramie - Big & Black
Full delete, Torque Technolgies programmer, Sinister EGR delete
Hijacker Auto Slide/ P3
2006 Triple E Topaz 310RBXL
Wife, 2 kids (Murphy the dog - RIP friend)

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

What are TH & EB?

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

rlyons
Explorer
Explorer
I'm surprised at the wide range of opinions on this device. One of the advantages of using the Bullydog Triple Dog Diesel Tuner was that it acts as a multi-gauge to read out things like egt and boost pyro 1and 2 whether your running stock or a tune. Also you can preset it to drop to "no power" mode if certain pre-set parameters are met.
rthomaslyons

mudfuel07
Explorer
Explorer
Bullydog is the worst tuner in the world for your transmission. I would use your tow/haul mode if you are dead set on using that tuner. You may not want to hear it, but if you really want a tune, sell that POS and get a Smarty with custom tunes that are written specifically for your truck. And as said above, get gauges!
2020 Ram 2500 6.7 CTD 4x4 Tradesman(with a few toys)
2020 Puma by Palomino 32RBFQ for the kids!

wcjeep
Explorer
Explorer
Not familiar with your Bullydog. Avoid settings that increase power with injector pressure. Look for timing and duration. Tow mode may also lower Egt's. Programmers all work different. Since your adding power you have added gauges, right?