cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying Used with Delamination?

StaceyM
Explorer
Explorer
We are shopping for our first travel trailer, and on a pretty tight budget. We found a 2007 Keystone Zeppelin that appears in some pictures to have a de-lamination problem on the front and back panels. We haven't seen it in person yet. Any opinions if we should walk away? The price is pretty good, but not sure how expensive repairs could be. If it's just a cosmetic issue, we could live with that for the sake of our budget.
Thanks!
28 REPLIES 28

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Contact the seller and ask about what you are seeing. Pictures can be deceiving. Trying to estimate problems from a description, while at the keyboard, is difficult. Asking the question about a cosmetic issue usually works in favor of the buyer.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Can you fix delamination yes, is it worth it no. You can buy a used trailer in good shape cheaper then buying one and having it fixed.

If you are very handy and could get the TT for next to nothing and could spend the winter on a project it could possibly pay off. Lots of people buy projects and never get to them or find they are over there skill level and never get compleated.

Drbolasky
Explorer
Explorer
I would pass as well. Even if the seller tells you the problem has been fixed, you really have no way of knowing.

Doug, Linda, Audrey (USN) & Andrew

2008 Sequoia SR-5, 5.7 L, 2000 Coachmen Futura 2790TB Bunkhouse, Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension, Reese W.D. Hitch/Dual Cam Sway Control, Prodigy Brake Controller, McKesh Mirrors
:B

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Another vote for running. Fast.

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
Run away fast as you can.
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Depends on where, how long, how big, etc. Repairs of many delam issues tend to be expensive. If you have delam in more than one place that's a pretty good sign that the problem is extensive and you should take a pass.
Kevin

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
How to spot a lemon video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xx0SPexRHgo
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
It may not be delam. A lot of times the front and rear are not bonded panels. On the front the filon panel is just folded over the front and fastened on the perimeter. The rear is the same way and could have a large window or in the case of a rear kitchen it could have the vents and covers used as part of the sandwich process. Our Heartland North Trail was that way. It had what looked like delam but was in fact just puckers in the filon form expansion.

We have a Camping World dealership next to the freeway and when I drive by and the sun is at the right angle you can see all the wavy puckers on the back of the Keystone Laredo TT's they sell.

If you like the trailer and the price is good it's worth checking out. It could just be a cosmetic thing.

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
We did a fairly extensive rebuild of our TT, but ours is sided. I think I'd pass on a trailer with delamination mainly because theres too much of a down side.
2000 KZ Sportsman 2505 (overhauled & upgraded 2014)
2016 Chevy Express 3500 15 passanger van
6 humans, 2 cats, and a dog
Visit our blog at www.ROWLESmade.com
Our trailer re-build thread

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
No way. The correct price would be they pay you to take it away.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
That depends on how good of a deal it is. Delam is certainly a big issue, and mold and wood rot could also possibly enter into the equation; but what if I was only using the TT for a hunting shack; or I only needed it for 6 months; or all the defects had already been reliably repaired and there are no other issues? So in some instance, I could overlook a lot of flaws for $200.00. So the bigger question is, how much are you willing to overlook and what price are you willing to pay to do that? Comparison shopping before you buy is your friend.

m11nine
Explorer
Explorer
Many used RVs will seem cheap from the outside, especially compared to new retails, but the used market is not that liquid and prices are far lower than you may realize (Better than a timeshare, but worse than your last new car.) One with such potential problems should be virtually given away, IMO.

I think its a very bad idea to take this risk when there are tons of bargains out there with no damage at all.

Get a lot of hands-on, in-person, advice from friends before this deal, please.

blackeyed1
Explorer
Explorer
You'll need to find out what caused the delamination if possible. Personally, I would pass.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Delam is more than likely not just "cosmetic."
Either: glue failure or leaks.
Leaks usually mean rot, mold and BIG problems if not immediately addressed.

I'd walk away quick like in run. If you can see it in a picture, it's probably even worse in person.

There are lots of RV's for sale out there. Keep looking and good luck....and welcome to the Forum
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro