cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camper Leveler

prujak
Explorer
Explorer
I saw these a couple months ago. After our last trip with trying to get wood planks under the one side to get the TT level I searched and found these easy to use trailer levelers. I contacted Anderson hitches who is the manufacturer. I ordered two of them for $39.99 each shipped to my home. Have not received them but are expecting them next week. I will give them a try the following week and let you know how they work. Just tired of messing with the wood.

http://www.andersenhitches.com/Products/3604--camper-leveler.aspx
Paul & Patty
Two Grandchildren No pets
2011 Ford F250 Super Duty Lariat
2014 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8329SS
52 REPLIES 52

ECones
Explorer
Explorer
We just got our first travel trailer, and a search for leveling tips brought me here. I had planned to build a leveling tool from a single 2 x 8. What I planned was something like the drawing below. The bottom piece would be 36", then working up, 27", 18", and the top 9". Total height would 6", which is more than I ever plan to need, but I'd hoped I wouldn't get over-zealous and drive off the front, so the extra level is a safety precaution.

The plan is to simply place this in front of the tire on the low side and pull, raising it 1.5" at a time until it's close. If one is too low and one is too high, I could get it high, put a piece of 1 x 8 in the lower slot and back off to it. With this and a single 1 x 8 I could adjust in 3/4" increments.

Go easy on me now; I'm a newby 😉

But is 3/4" increments too picky? Not picky enough?

Is this a goofy idea completely?

MuddyLane
Explorer
Explorer
These are well worth the money and no guess work involved. Bought mine last year and would never go back.

lazydays
Explorer
Explorer
I've got to get a set of these. I get tired of keeping my fingers crossed that I've got the height right on the leveling blocks only to find out I've got to try again. The price is nothing compared to other******I spend money on.
Very Patient Wife
Two Boys & a Girl
2013 Keystone Avalanche 345TG
2016 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD 6.6L

goingnorth
Explorer
Explorer
I might have to order a pair of these as well, the only thing I can add is that I would want to wedge something simple between the leveler on one tire and the small wedge on the other to be sure it cannot slip out, with kids and dog my TT is always a rocking. As long as one of those little wedges is held tight it will not roll.

I have the yellow blocks and have had them kick up and jam on soft ground and watched my BIL break several of the orange style on soft ground, we could not keep them from kicking up and cracking. I have also broke 2 6 foot treated 2x10's that I used to carry, we go dry camping sometimes and thats where I end up breaking wood.
13 F250 6.2L XLT CCSB 4x4 4.30 gears

09 Keystone Passport 290BH UF elec jack,30"scissor jacks+Eliminator Strut Stabilizer,PD9160+wizard,custom bumper hitch,added 18.5gal FW tank,dualcam HP 1200# WD,Fantastic Fan,Axle Flip,Lexan screen door covers.
My Mods.

wrvond
Explorer II
Explorer II
Personally, I simply set the parking brake then place the PRNDL in park, get out, then place the small chocks. Haven't had a problem or felt at all unsafe. However, one could place the TV in park and hold the foot brake, which would activate the TV brakes and the TT brakes. As already mentioned, nothing is going anywhere. I also take this opportunity to set my regular chocks on the other side.
Using planks is an effective method of leveling the TT, no doubt, and there are those that can decipher the markings on the bubble that indicate how many planks are required for level (I can, but I wouldn't say it's my favorite thing to do!). I personally have moved away from wood primarily because plastic dries faster, is easier to keep clean, and doesn't give me splinters. These particular levelers have the added benefit of being very effective wheel chocks as well as levelers. I've seen plastic lego type units that try to incorporate some kind of chock in their design, but they don't work nearly as well as these, IMHO.
So many products aimed at us campers are on the market and more are added daily to separate us from our money. Many of those items are a complete waste of money and don't perform as claimed or are flimsy and don't last. While not every new product is for everybody, or even necessarily "better" (it may just be a different way to do the same things), it's always good to know that some new toy you are thinking of buying works as described and won't just end up in a corner of the garage.
2022 Keystone Cougar 24RDS
2023 Ram 6.7L Laramie Mega Cab

avoidcrowds
Explorer
Explorer
"...worried about the safety of the person who pushes the second chock in place...". Really?

With your foot on the brake, nothing is going anywhere. Or, put it in "Park" before anyone puts chock in. Set the parking brake before releasing the foot brake, and nothing is going anywhere.

You take more risk towing to your campsite than placing the second chock, if you do either method above. I can't see risk, unless driver is totally unaware of other people, and does not keep foot on brake while leaving truck in-gear. Just my opinion.
2017.5 Lance 1995
2017 F150 EcoBoost, Max Tow
Most camping off-road

aarond76
Explorer
Explorer
So you drive up (or back up) on these until you are level side to side. Then someone has to slide the second chock in place to hold the whole thing secure? I am confused on how this is a one man operation then, and am also worried about the safety of the person who pushes the second chock in place while hoping nothing goes wrong and the camper does not roll over their hand or foot. I am interested in these but not sure if I am missing something. The way this works in my head does not seem safe.

Edit:
I just watched the video. They must have showed driving up on the ramps atleast ten times. Only once did they show it being chocked into place. The chocking process sure looks dangerous to me. I sure don't want my kid or wife sliding that chock into place while I sit in the van with my foot on the brake holding the camper in place on ramp. Too much oportunity for someone to lose a hand.

Caveman_Charlie
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for posting a follow up.
1993 Cobra Sunrise, 20 foot Travel Trailer.

JAL_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
Beveled boards that are kept in place with an assortment of dowels - depending on height. 2 x 8's and two thinner pieces of treated plywood to tweak.

Picture of Leveling Boards

I used to use long series of boards for both tires of elevated side but now use two shorter ones - one for each tire. Cut just short enough fit one between tires before going up on ramps.

Viewing side to side level attached to front of TT before leveling lets me know how many boards will be needed.
JAL
2002 Burb 2500 LT, 8.1L, Autoride, 4x4
2005 Jayco Eagle 298BHS
🙂Check It OutReese HP 1,200 Lb. Bars WD/Dual Cam HP Sway Control/Prodigy® Brake Control

Family: Two Baby Boomers with Two Generation Y Kids -- All RV Generation

CAMPED IN:

JJensen79
Explorer
Explorer
I have a set these also and they are great! Haven't had an issue yet of getting the TT level the first time, every time. The OP is right, it is so quick that you feel as though you forgot to do something. I still carry small pieces of 2x8 just in case but we haven't had to use them yet.

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
Other than the price, those are pretty nifty... Beats the heck out of blocks of wood or square levelers.
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

wrvond
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have had my set of Anderson chocks for about six months now, and thought I would post a follow-up for those who had questions about how well these things work.
Short answer is, they work great. With a large(ish) bubble on the front of the camper, one person can level the camper up in an unbelievably short amount of time. It's so easy, I often feel like I have forgotten something. The units are beefy. If you think they'll save weight over wood, you'd probably be wrong. But they do clean up and dry better and faster than wood, and I am confident these things are built to last longer than I am. They are as wide, or slightly wider, as the tires on my camper, so no worries about sinking into the wet ground. If the ground is that wet and soft, I'm going to have problems on both sides of the camper, and probably should find another place to park.
Not much else to say, except to emphasize how easy they are to use, and how safe/effective they are. Here's a photo where they are visible from the back side of the wheel. You can see that I am parked on a very steep slope (my driveway) where my camper has endured the harsh winter with winds that threatened to blow the roof off my house, and the camper was rock solid. They may be pricey, but I've made more money since buying these, and don't miss the money I spent on them at all.

2022 Keystone Cougar 24RDS
2023 Ram 6.7L Laramie Mega Cab

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Those look pretty good. I hate guessing and messing with blocks. Might get some myself.
ZeeLet50 wrote:
Price is high and my worry is if you don't have the cross/chocks for your wheels, how do you stop camper from rolling.
Watch video?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

jlwardn
Explorer
Explorer
I thought they would be great and bought some. I don't want to take space needed to carry dirty wet wood around. My storage areas are too small and shallow. There was an issue with my order. I placed it with an online vendor that had a good price was but selling a product they no longer sold. I got a call from the mfg explaining this to me....long story short. I actually signed up to be a dealer for these....just to get them at wholesale. I sold through my original order very fast. I recently got to use them. I love them. Super easy to level plus they chock the front and back of the wheel at the same time. Pricey but worth it in time saving since I no longer have to figure out...one board, two or three. It also saves on weight and space in the trailer.

Crawfordville
Explorer
Explorer
This new gadget reminds me of what the "broom" said to the "2x8 plank" "Relax buddy... they invented the vacuum cleaner and yet I'm still here!!