cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Camper running lights always on if truck running?

Ramblin__Ralph
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a back-up camera for my 2001 Lance 845. However, I want the camera to operate anytime my truck is running, not just when backing up. I seem to remember the running (aka marker) lights are on if the truck is running, regardless of headlights being on or off. Since my camper is off the truck I can't confirm this.

Don't want to trust my memory and start the wiring. ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks,
Ralph
2006 GMC 2500HD, XCab, SB, 6.0L w/2001 Lance 845
Bilstein Shocks, TorkLift Stable Loads, 100 Ah LiFePo4, 225 watt solar
My RV Travels Webpage / Yearly Campsite Map / 740 Campsites / YouTube Videos /
Instagram
13 REPLIES 13

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
The only way the marker lights would always be on is if the cabover shaded the sensor in the dashboard enough to fool it into thinking that it was getting dark out.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Photomike
Explorer III
Explorer III
With my truck camper I did the wire to the running lights so when I turned them on the camera was on. Worked great!

On my Class C they have set up the running lights to be on as soon as the key is turned on (not the head lights just the running lights). Good idea except the lights on alarm goes off when you stop and open the door until 3 minutes later the running lights shut off. This would work for a camera as well but it always has power.

I contacted the manufacturer of my back-up camera for the truck and was told that they do not recommend the camera always being on as it was not designed for that.
2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
Buzzcut1 wrote:
On a Lance the marker lights are only on when the truck parking and or headlights are on. I have my camera wired to the center rear marker light. No biggie to me because I always drive with my headlights on.

this is exactly what I do. My camera is wireless so the only hook-up is the power off the marker light. Easy-peasey

Ramblin__Ralph
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for unanimous vote that my memory failed me. Not really surprising at my age. ๐Ÿ™‚ Also, for the suggestions for getting power to the camera.

I don't normally drive with my headlights on, but might do that. It would make getting power to the camera easier by tapping into the rear marker lights wiring. I want to be able to see if someone is behind me while driving.
Ralph
2006 GMC 2500HD, XCab, SB, 6.0L w/2001 Lance 845
Bilstein Shocks, TorkLift Stable Loads, 100 Ah LiFePo4, 225 watt solar
My RV Travels Webpage / Yearly Campsite Map / 740 Campsites / YouTube Videos /
Instagram

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
One thing should be noted here. Some backup cameras have a short life if left on for a long period of time. I had one on the bench experimenting with it and a monitor. The longer I left it on, the hotter it got. Finally it just stopped working.

My suggestion is when you mount the camera, mount in a way that allows you to replace it without defacing your TC.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

cewillis
Explorer
Explorer
The rear view system that I bought for my 2006 GMC 2500HD has a 'Power Button' on the monitor. So I connected backup system power to pin A, SEO connector, Mid-BEC relay center - Constant 12v power - and use the power button to turn it on or off.
The M-BEC is under the dash near the parking brake.
Cal

KansasRV
Explorer
Explorer
yea, I would agree with connecting to rear lights, depending on if you drive with headlights on all the time.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Buzzcut1 wrote:
On a Lance the marker lights are only on when the truck parking and or headlights are on.

Ditto on my camper.

If your camper marker lights are on always on when trucking is running, something is miswired.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
On a Lance the marker lights are only on when the truck parking and or headlights are on. I have my camera wired to the center rear marker light. No biggie to me because I always drive with my headlights on.
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
On my Samurai, I connected the rear view camera to the tail lights. It reminds me to turn my lights on, day or night which is a good idea.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Or anywhere off the camper 12V system.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Doubt it, but you could turn them on. Or could power it from the 12V hot wire on the trailer plug if all you need is power back there.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

hedge
Explorer
Explorer
don't know about your truck but specifically but mine aren't on unless at least park lights are on in the truck.

I have mine wired to the reverse wire but also have the ability to turn it on at will by using an upfitter switch from the cab.
2017 F350 Platinum DRW
2013 Adventurer 89RB