cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camping in a tent only site

skidrue
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry if this has been covered or beat to death but my search results come up with nothing.

Is this a discouraged practice or not allowed? In my thought process it would be fine, it is still a single vehicle and our CO is not required to be registered. Tent sites are just more readily available too.
67 REPLIES 67

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
mountainkowboy wrote:

When it's first come first serve I drive the CG looking for the best site for us. If it's a giant pull-thru with an awesome view and available I take it. If the bus driver wanted it that bad they should have reserved it...and if they come up and say anything to me I'll tell them to learn how to reserve a site and quit whining like a snowflake.

How exactly is the "bus driver" supposed to reserve that site you took when you just stated it's "first come first serve"?

While I don't think a smaller rig should refrain from taking a larger site if it suits them better, I don't think we need to get rude about the frustrations of folks with larger rigs. We certainly don't need to start throwing out the snowflake accusations.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:
mkirsch wrote:
Terryallan wrote:
Ralph Cramden wrote:
No it wouldn't. If I was motoring around in a 40' Prevost I would of made sure I had a site that could accommodate my rig prior to showing up at a campground.

Yep yep. that is what phones are for

So it's okay to just go where the wind takes you if you have a TC, but you must have everything planned down to the last detail if you drive a Prevost? How's that right?

So we're back to it being just plane RUDE, but that's how we've been taught. Always grab the biggest piece of cake even if you don't really need it, because if you don't someone else will.

Perhaps the government should intervene and regulate? It is ok to go where the wind takes you if you have a TC, and if you have a 40' Prevost you had better plan to the last detail because you're driving around in something the size of a Greyhound bus. You made that choice, the same as the TC owner, or the guy with the 37' TT or 5er, so deal with it, Don't take a pissyfit or have a coniption because you cant get the site you feel you're entitled to, because you're entitled to nothing.

It has nothing to do with being rude or what your personal opinion is as to what rude is.

If they didn't call ahead and reserve...BOHO for them. When it's first come first serve I drive the CG looking for the best site for us. If it's a giant pull-thru with an awesome view and available I take it. If the bus driver wanted it that bad they should have reserved it...and if they come up and say anything to me I'll tell them to learn how to reserve a site and quit whining like a snowflake.
Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
mkirsch wrote:
Terryallan wrote:
Ralph Cramden wrote:
No it wouldn't. If I was motoring around in a 40' Prevost I would of made sure I had a site that could accommodate my rig prior to showing up at a campground.

So it's okay to just go where the wind takes you if you have a TC, but you must have everything planned down to the last detail if you drive a Prevost? How's that right?

So we're back to it being just plane RUDE, but that's how we've been taught. Always grab the biggest piece of cake even if you don't really need it, because if you don't someone else will.

Perhaps the government should intervene and regulate? It is ok to go where the wind takes you if you have a TC, and if you have a 40' Prevost you had better plan to the last detail because you're driving around in something the size of a Greyhound bus. You made that choice, the same as the TC owner, or the guy with the 37' TT or 5er, so deal with it, Don't take a pissyfit or have a coniption because you cant get the site you feel you're entitled to, because you're entitled to nothing.

It has nothing to do with being rude or what your personal opinion is as to what rude is.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
jimh425 wrote:
toedtoes wrote:
Per the forestcamping.com glossary.

A website doesn't make you an expert. Not that they have to be wrong.

I'd be impressed if they had links to every type of campground and they all agreed.

I wasn't suggesting they were the sole definition. But it's one definition that applies to NF campgrounds.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
toedtoes wrote:
Per the forestcamping.com glossary.

A website doesn't make you an expert. Not that they have to be wrong.

I'd be impressed if they had links to every type of campground and they all agreed.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
mbloof wrote:
One of the many bonuses of TC ownership is being able to go places that other types of RV's are ether to large, not enough ground clearance or lack 4X4 to get or be there.

That's why I own one.
Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
mkirsch wrote:
Terryallan wrote:
Ralph Cramden wrote:

Life is all about choices. You chose to have a large, or small camper. You chose to be able to fit in most sites, or you chose to be tooo big to fit. Sadly. My last TT choice ruled me out of many campsites I use to really enjoy. Do I whine, and tell them to make them bigger? No I adjust my needs.

My favorite campground. Julian Price on the BRP, only has 4 or 5 sites that I will fit on. I call before I go to be sure I can get one of them, OR as many are first come, first serve. I go really early to get one. IF I get there , and there is a TC, or Pup on those sites. It's on me. not them.

I can't even use the long pull thrus because they curve, and are narrow. The TT hits the curbing and as the curbing is pretty sharp rocks, and can cut a tire, I can't use them no matter how long.

so if a big MH can't find a spot. It's on them
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

mbloof
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
Terryallan wrote:
Ralph Cramden wrote:

Its not about right or wrong it is just the nature of a TC. I can park anywhere there's at least a standard "city" car parking space.

A 40' motorhome? Not so much.

One of the many bonuses of TC ownership is being able to go places that other types of RV's are ether to large, not enough ground clearance or lack 4X4 to get or be there.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Per the forestcamping.com glossary:

Tent Site: a designated site in a National Forest Campground that accommodates only a tent. Either the Forest Service permits only a tent, or, in the authors' judgement, the site is not suitable for an RV. Walk-in sites are clear examples of tent sites only.

Recreation Vehicle: recreational vehicle (RV) is a motor home, travel trailer, slide-in or pop-up tent.

C_B_
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Nope.......
Tent sites only means Tents

Not a motorized vehicle

Seems to me most tenting campers drive a MOTORIZED VEHICLE to the site. So what's the diff.

If need be bring a pup tent along and put it up.

C.B.
CBVP2004~FORD~F350~CC~LARIAT~SRW~SB~4X4~6.0D~
AUTO~PULLRITE 16K SUPERGLIDE~DEMCO GLIDERIDE~
PRODIGY CONTROLLER~C-BETR MIRRORS~EMS-HW50C~

Butch/Barb=2013-Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Kris/Katy=2006-Cherokee 32B

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
mkirsch wrote:
Terryallan wrote:
Ralph Cramden wrote:

It's about realizing the limitations of what you have and adjusting for it. If you are routinely being without a campsite because you won't plan ahead and the larger sites are taken up within the campground/RV Park rules, then YOU need to change something.

If you are not getting sites because others are ignoring the rules, then you can claim selfishness and rudeness.

There are many reasons for taking a larger site. It may be as simple as the view - should only large rig owners get a good view? Or maybe they are the only ones with hookups - should only large rig owners get hookups? If the campground/park allows it, then deal.

skidrue
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
Terryallan wrote:
Ralph Cramden wrote:

Exactly, that's why we sold our monstrous fiver and got the TC. We go wherever the wind takes us, I don't plan a thing because I fit everywhere, even tent sites.

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
mkirsch wrote:
...but that's how we've been taught. Always grab the biggest piece of cake even if you don't really need it, because if you don't someone else will.

No, not being rude, it's called "Capitalism" ... The American Way! :B

And be thankful we can still do it!

Yeah, cuz otherwise the proletariat would have a permanent reservation but no TC, tent or motor home and would be renting out to relatives.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
...but that's how we've been taught. Always grab the biggest piece of cake even if you don't really need it, because if you don't someone else will.

No, not being rude, it's called "Capitalism" ... The American Way! :B

And be thankful we can still do it!

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Terryallan wrote:
Ralph Cramden wrote:

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.