cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Camping this holiday weekend?

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
A friend just sent a picture from I-90 East of Seattle. Be careful out there!

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member
17 REPLIES 17

Testudo
Explorer
Explorer
...I think I'm beginning to see a pattern form, here...

You're safer in a... truck camper ( ? )

At the very least, _if_ you get in an accident with a truck camper, you will definitely be more... 'stealthy'.

I mean, look at those pictures ! Those trailer remains are all in your face ! Consider the ignominy as all the other traffic comes down the interstate and sees your pop-tarts and unmentionables spread all over the highway.

Now, ...I've personally destroyed a historic entry station into Yellowstone NP with an OUTFITTER Caribou, but, the OUTFITTER is just fine! It was the log constructed station that 'bit the dust'. These other classes of RV couldn't survive a 'little rollover' - - let alone mixing it up with a log house !

So, ...I think there is a deeper lesson, here, if many of you will allow it to sink in.

Just say'n...
Testudo & Princesse Caribou
2012 FORD F-250 6.2L 4x4 EC SB SRW
2006 FORD F-250 5.4L manual trans (Sniff! Gone but not forgotten!)
2006 OUTFITTER SUPER-Caribou 6.5

Testudo
Explorer
Explorer
It can get windy in Washington State...

...And then there was this one in South Dakota where winds allegedly "blew the top off the camper".

The news report indicated that nobody was hurt but that the camper was a total loss...

( Gee... ya think? I bet they could just pop that puppy back on the trailer frame and they'd be good to go! )

Bedlam
We're still out of town at a GS Rally. Back to work soon so we can replenish monetary and physical resources for next trip.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Testudo
Explorer
Explorer
Here's an accident on I 90 photographed by the Washington State Police, May 29th.

What you are looking at is a 1999 Spartan motorhome, pulling a 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Apparently a drousy-driving accident where the driver went onto the shoulder; over corrected; and all 'heck' broke loose.

( I think I would have wanted to be a passenger in the Cherokee... )

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
No camping here...Staying home and doing chores, planting the garden (should have been in but rain, rain, rain...), cutting trees and mowing lawns....

Not too fond of holiday travel anyway. being retired, I prefer to do my traveling, camping through the week. Less people (idiots) on the road, less campers too.

FYI, Michigan passed the no texting while driving law last week and MSP is getting real serious, real fast. 100 buck fine, first offense.

I have Bluetooth so I'm always hands on the steering wheel.

On the wreck, RV salesmen will sell anything to anybody no matter what size tow vehicle they have. Should be some kind of law concerning that stuff.

Over on the FR Forum, many stories of too big a TT (or 5er) for the vehicle being used.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
2oldman wrote:
Lumber spill..now this?

Yeah wth happened there?
Seen em picking up sticks for the last few pallets......of pallet wood. That must have been a shat show too. I'm ______ing done with Seattle drivers. All of them.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
Wow. We have a Springdale 1890fl dual axle summerland at our dealership. I towed it back from auction with my k2500 sub. Grand Cherokee could never tow this. My 6.0 was screaming at 4500 rpm on the interstates
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

pcoplin
Explorer II
Explorer II
No, I never camp memorial day. I work a 48 hour shift over the weekend. The week of the 10th we are doing 5 or 6 days.
2005 F350 CCLB Dually 6.0/5R110
2009 Adventurer 950B

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
Avoiding the swarm. Plenty to do localy while the swarm is out of town. Sadly, brothers 67 GTO Pertronics electronic ignition failed 10 miles past Ellensburg. He's trying to get points and condensor to get it running. Then continue on to Tri Cities for the big GTO car show. Towed 10 miles. No further update. Parts for a 50 YO car could be fun in a small town this weekend.

Bedlam
Left early for the weekend holiday and already saw some people cutting vacation short. Relaxing at a lake while others are picking up pieces.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

RickW
Explorer III
Explorer III
At least the porta bote looks undamaged.
Rick
04 GMC 1500 4X4X4, 04 Sunlite SB

hotrodfords
Explorer
Explorer
Buzzcut1 wrote:
1320Fastback wrote:
Hmm, big trailer small car...

but the salesman said it could tow 10,000 pounds....

(didn't say it could stop it)

Yep, a clown born every minute. I hope no one was hurt.

For the record, the hitch did a dang good job, still attached!

mike_kellie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looks like the SUP on the roof might be the only means of travel this weekend. There are a lot of rvs mixed in heavy traffic today in my town. Hope everybody has a safe weekend-
2015 Host Mammoth triple slide w/ TorkLift Fastguns
2015 Ram 5500 SLT cab & chassis with Douglass 9' utility body

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
1320Fastback wrote:
Hmm, big trailer small car...

but the salesman said it could tow 10,000 pounds....

(didn't say it could stop it)
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags