cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

camping with CPAP (no electric hookup)

Chad_Jen
Explorer
Explorer
We would like to go to some places this summer with our travel trailer that don't have electric hookups but my son needs his CPAP for sleeping during the night. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on how to manage this. It seems (unless I'm missing something) that we can't run the CPAP when we don't have a power pedestal. I figured others had CPAPs they used and might have a solution to this. We have a TT that has one 12V battery on the front of it, if that helps any. Thanks for any help!!
29 REPLIES 29

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
another power option is a dedicated lithium battery pack for the CPAP. I have one from Battery Power Solutions, they make units specifically for CPAP's. And the battery pack was covered through my medical insurance. I have an older pack, will run the CPAP w/o the humidifier for 2-3 days. 1 day on the humidifier. battery pack fits nicely under the CPAP.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

doc_brown
Explorer
Explorer
Pangaea Ron wrote:
I also have the Transcend CPAP and optional battery, and thought that it would be the ultimate answer. . . but it is really noisy. My wife hates it, and I hear more mask noise than with other options. It sits in the closet, unused. My respiratory physician has quit recommended it for that reason.

Could very well be noisy but I don’t hear it as I’m asleep and I’m a solo traveler.
Steve,Kathy and Josh
Morpheus(Basenji)at Rainbow Bridge
2004 40' TSDP Country Coach Inspire DaVinci
350 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S, Air Force One Braking, Blue Ox

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
I also have the Transcend CPAP and optional battery, and thought that it would be the ultimate answer. . . but it is really noisy. My wife hates it, and I hear more mask noise than with other options. It sits in the closet, unused. My respiratory physician has quit recommended it for that reason.
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

doc_brown
Explorer
Explorer
ford truck guy wrote:
I use the Transcend CPAP with the optional battery when dry camping.. It will last all night

X2. Also use it for flying. Great little machine, and mean little!
Steve,Kathy and Josh
Morpheus(Basenji)at Rainbow Bridge
2004 40' TSDP Country Coach Inspire DaVinci
350 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S, Air Force One Braking, Blue Ox

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
Whatever you do be sure to test it out at home to see if it lasts all night and are you able to charge the battery etc..

Jetstreamer
Explorer
Explorer
DB Cooper wrote:
Portable Battery/Power Generator Someone posted this on another site for CPAP users. I haven't tried it.

Such false advertising using the term “generator “. It’s nothing more than a small battery that needs to be recharged... For $240....

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
Be careful using modified sine wave inverters with older CPAP machines. ResMed has a battery guide for using inverters and deep cycle batteries on it's web site with the following information:

Using an Inverter
While we recommend using DC-to-DC converters, if you must use a DC-to-AC inverter, you can do so with some
ResMed devices. The following questions step you through identification of the appropriate battery for use with a
DC-to-AC inverter to power your ResMed device. We recommend using a pure sine wave inverter with a continuous power rating of 300 watts and a peak/surge rating of 500 watts.
WARNING: We recommend only using an inverter certified by an accredited testing and certification organization,
such as VDE, TSU or BSI in addition to CE markings for EU countries or UL markings for the USA.
NOTE: The steps in this section apply to the following ResMed products: S9, VPAP III, AutoSet CS2, VPAP
Adapt series used with appropriate humidifiers (HumidAire 2i, H4i, or H5i only). These steps also apply to the
Stellar series.
1. Do you have a pure sine wave DC-to-AC inverter with a continuous power rating of 300 watts and a
peak/surge rating of 500 watts?
• YES – Go to step 2.
• NO – Contact your battery or electrical supplies provider for assistance in obtaining the appropriate type
of inverter.
NOTE: The following ResMed devices without humidifiers can operate using a 150 watt modified sine
wave inverter: VPAP III, AutoSet CS2, VPAP Adapt series. S9 series with H5i humidifiers can also
operate from this inverter type.
2. If required, do you have a cable adapter to connect your DC-to-AC inverter to a battery?
• YES – Go to step 3.
• NO – Obtain an appropriate cable adapter from your home medical equipment or battery provider. Got to
step 3.
3. Do you know the treatment pressure set on your device?
• YES – Go to step 4.
• NO – Contact your home medical equipment or healthcare provider and request your treatment pressure
then go to step 4.
4. Go to the Inverter “Battery Tables” section and locate the appropriate table for your device.
Locate your treatment pressure (or next highest value) in the table and read across to identify the required
battery size in amp hours (AH). This is the size battery you will need to operate your device for 8 hours.
Please be aware of the following related to use of inverters with ResMed products:
WARNING:
• Other ResMed heated humidifiers must not be used with inverters. Damage to the unit or serious injury to
the user may result. If you are using another brand of heated humidifier, check with the manufacturer for
their recommendation.
• The original HumidAire™ must not be used with inverters.
CAUTION: Do not use the C-Series Tango heated humidifier with an inverter. This humidifier can only be used on
mains AC power, not battery power.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
I have an inverter in my rig, but running CPAP on 12v direct will be the preferred method if your CPAP is 12v capable. (which has been mentioned numerous times.)

I mentioned this to a friend, and sure enough, his CPAP power brick said 12v on it, so he went and got a 12v cord for it.

My Inverter
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

DB_Cooper
Explorer
Explorer
Portable Battery/Power Generator Someone posted this on another site for CPAP users. I haven't tried it.

Still_Searchin_
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 12v. Respironics cpap that I plug directly into a 12v cigarette type outlet that I installed next to the bed. When boondocking, I put water in the humidifier but turn that function off and no problems. It will draw my battery voltage (two 6v trojans)down only 1/10 of a volt, from 12.5 to 12.4v by morning. I do have solar panels that charge those batteries back up to 14 volts by late morning if the sun is shining.
2011 Jayco Eagle Lite 256rks 28ft. travel trailer; Reese SC hitch
2010 Chevy Silverado 2500 6L w/3.73 differential
Member: TTN, Escapees, Good Sam
3x around USA, traveling about 6 mo/year

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Vintage465 wrote:
Speaking of utilizing Humidifier options.....

Mine has a "pre-heat" setting.
But that is not good to use when on battery power either.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
Vintage465 wrote:
Speaking of utilizing Humidifier options.....I've been experimenting with putting hot tap water in and then turning the humidifier on a lower setting, mine has a 1-5 setting. Started on 1. Now I'm up to 3. The results are better for me, not so sure about the batteries. Thinking if it didn't have to work so hard heating up cold water, I could keep it at a lower setting. It worked, but the jury is still out on whether I consider it worthwhile.

starting with warm water is good. will at least reduce the initial power draw to heat the water.

I've found that I can put in warm water in the tray then turn off the heater. still gives me ok humidification.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
Speaking of utilizing Humidifier options.....I've been experimenting with putting hot tap water in and then turning the humidifier on a lower setting, mine has a 1-5 setting. Started on 1. Now I'm up to 3. The results are better for me, not so sure about the batteries. Thinking if it didn't have to work so hard heating up cold water, I could keep it at a lower setting. It worked, but the jury is still out on whether I consider it worthwhile.
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

ib516
Explorer
Explorer
Plenty of portable battery/inverter units on Amazon that'll do the trick.
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV