cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can't believe my payload is so low.

JoshL
Explorer
Explorer
I've decided I want to for sure and certain get a truck camper. I've been reading and researching for about two weeks now. Looking at what I want, the sizes, the weights. Plugging numbers into the weight calculator. Weighed my truck and blah blah.

It seems like my 2007.5 Chevy diesel 2500HD has a very low payload. 1468 lbs to be exact!I should've broken this truck years ago if that is in anyway accurate.

Just last week I hauled 2000 lbs of sack-crete in it. And for nearly 6 months I was hauling 2900 lbs of water in it about 2-3 times a week!

I'm just about to say heck with it all. :R
16 REPLIES 16

JoshL
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Bill

Tires on it now are rated 3200 lbs
Front axle 4800
Rear axle 6084

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
Donโ€™t look at payload, look at axle capacity. The GM 3/4 ton diesel from that era have the same AAM 11.5 axle as the one tons.
Upgrade your tires to 295-75-16 rated at 3950# ea and get steel wheels from a 1 ton youโ€™ll be fine.

Bill
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

burningman
Explorer II
Explorer II
SidecarFlip wrote:
We all tend to forget that internal components like axle bearings and internal gearing as well as U joints, when taken past their design limits or run at close to their design limits, tend to fail sooner.

But we also forget that 2500s generally have the same of those parts as 3500s.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
GeoBoy wrote:
I canโ€™t believe Jaycocreek hasnโ€™t been all over this discussion.:B

Sure he will be. be patient....:p
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
I canโ€™t believe Jaycocreek hasnโ€™t been all over this discussion.:B

JoshL
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you kind Sir.

3 tons wrote:
mbloof wrote:
JoshL wrote:
I've decided I want to for sure and certain get a truck camper. I've been reading and researching for about two weeks now. Looking at what I want, the sizes, the weights. Plugging numbers into the weight calculator. Weighed my truck and blah blah.

It seems like my 2007.5 Chevy diesel 2500HD has a very low payload. 1468 lbs to be exact!I should've broken this truck years ago if that is in anyway accurate.

Just last week I hauled 2000 lbs of sack-crete in it. And for nearly 6 months I was hauling 2900 lbs of water in it about 2-3 times a week!

Lets see if my memory works. ๐Ÿ™‚

1 ton = 2000lbs

3/4 ton = 1500lbs

Sounds like the payload on the truck is fairly close. ๐Ÿ™‚

- Mark0

For those who actually pay attention, the above referenced tonnage ratings have no basis in fact with today's truck offerings...Today, even a properly configured half ton may have a rating of over a ton.

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
mbloof wrote:
JoshL wrote:

1 ton = 2000lbs

3/4 ton = 1500lbs

- Mark0

For those who actually pay attention, the above referenced tonnage ratings have no basis in fact with today's truck offerings...Today, even a properly configured half ton may have a rating of over a ton.

JoshL
Explorer
Explorer
bighatnohorse wrote:
jimh425 wrote:
The question is do you want to ignore the sticker or not. From what everyone guesses, 2500s are derated to stay under the 10000 lb GVWR. For the most part, tires are the limiting factor on what you can carry in the rear on 2500 and 3500s. So, thatโ€™s (2 x tire capacity) - weight on rear.

Also, passenger vehicles tend to include the weight of the passengers in the calculation of what TC you can carry at 150 lbs for each seat being filled.

Still, if you want significant more ability to carry, you should upgrade your tires, or switch to a DRW. Upgrading the tires on a SRW wonโ€™t make it stop faster, but will significantly decrease the chance of a blowout.

Finally, search for other recent threads to get more ideas.

The above is really good advice.
Most truck GVWR's are based on their tire and rim load capacity. And the axle rating as it comes from the axle manufacturer (which is not Chevy, Ford or Ram) is usually much, much higher than what is posted on the door frame sticker.

You wouldn't be flaming right now would you? Because that is against the rules.

JoshL
Explorer
Explorer
I should say that was the stick which directly addressed truck campers. Dealer showed me another sticker which said 2275 total weight including passengers.

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
jimh425 wrote:
The question is do you want to ignore the sticker or not. From what everyone guesses, 2500s are derated to stay under the 10000 lb GVWR. For the most part, tires are the limiting factor on what you can carry in the rear on 2500 and 3500s. So, thatโ€™s (2 x tire capacity) - weight on rear.

Also, passenger vehicles tend to include the weight of the passengers in the calculation of what TC you can carry at 150 lbs for each seat being filled.

Still, if you want significant more ability to carry, you should upgrade your tires, or switch to a DRW. Upgrading the tires on a SRW wonโ€™t make it stop faster, but will significantly decrease the chance of a blowout.

The above is really good advice.
Most truck GVWR's are based on their tire and rim load capacity. And the axle rating as it comes from the axle manufacturer (which is not Chevy, Ford or Ram) is usually much, much higher than what is posted on the door frame sticker.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

mbloof
Explorer
Explorer
JoshL wrote:

1 ton = 2000lbs

3/4 ton = 1500lbs

- Mark0

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Itโ€™s not, but your stickers are low. You said it yourself, having hauled double your โ€œpayloadโ€ for years with presumably no ill effects.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
We all tend to forget that internal components like axle bearings and internal gearing as well as U joints, when taken past their design limits or run at close to their design limits, tend to fail sooner.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
jimh425 wrote:

2007.5, I would be checking your tire ratings. if 17" rims your tires are likely only rated at 3,195# ea. total for the rear axle 6,390#.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"