cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Carli Suspension with Truck Camper

Big-wheel
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking for what options you guys recommend for my truck that will be carring a truck camper. It is a 2007.5 2500 6.7 ccsb with the Carli Pintop kit and full springs in the rear. We have a Lance 830 camper that weighs about 2400 dry so maybe 3000 wet. I know that with these springs it is a little soft for hauling the camper but nice for DD. I talked with Carli and they said maybe regular 5000lb air bags and Daystar air bag cups. The other option was Timbrens. Has anybody used any of these options with the suspension and had good results or are there other options that would be better?

Thanks
Kevin
9 REPLIES 9

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
I believe replacement coils from off road outfits like Carli and Thuren are much more compliant on initial spring rate, hence the additional sway. They are typically made for soaking up hi speed bumps and washboards like in the Baja, not big heavy truck humping campers.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

poriggity
Explorer
Explorer
I too am late to the discussion, but thought I could offer a bit of advice. I am running Thuren 2" coils up front on my Dodge, and they are similar to Carli's front coils. I just hauled my Lance LC980 out of storage, for the first time on this truck, and I have to say it really liked swaying. I'm not sure if it was the front springs, but I'd think so, since the rear suspension is all stock. The wet weight of the camper is 2540 lbs, and it's currently completely dry. I haven't had a chance to run it across the scales yet. That being said, I am looking at options for a little bit better load carrying capacity in the rear, and Timbren's are #1 on the list.
2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD, Long bed quad cab, 315x70x17 Falken AT3W, Timbren SES

No RV at the moment, but in a couple weeks will be the proud owners of a new 2019 No Boundaries 19.5 TT.

garbonz
Explorer
Explorer
I'M coming late to the discussion, but I have been very happy with my "Active Suspension" in keeping thing firm and reducing sway. Doesn't do much for ride hieight tho.
Garbonzo

Lakota Estate 33SKQ 2008

Joe417
Explorer
Explorer
Our rig was stable with no add-on hardware but sat a bit low, so I put air bags on. I put 60 lbs in and took it out to try on a short trip. Scariest ride since loosing a brake controller with our 5thW heading from I90 down to Cody, WY on Hwy. 14.

Dropped the pressure down to 15-18 lbs and really steadied it up. That was the minimum to get the headlights where they worked well.

Handled great except in really high winds in Colorado last June.

Added rear sway bar last fall and don't think ours could ride much better short of a dually.

Wife said that's not happening. She's happy with the feel and said she would refuse to drive if the truck had hips. She does maybe 50-60% of the driving.
Joe and Evelyn

MORSNOW
Navigator
Navigator
Did you try letting out some air and see if the sway goes away? To much air lift will cause sway as the factory suspension cannot work properly.
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

Big-wheel
Explorer
Explorer
So over the weekend installed the Firestone RideRite bags with Daystar cradles. Everything went on great. I took it out for a drive today and the level was good on the truck with about 55psi in the bags. But I was getting a lot of sway. Seeing if you think a HellWig BigWig sway bar in the rear would help? I know I would lose the travel of the Carli springs but couldn't I disconnect the sway bar links if I wanted to play?

Big-wheel
Explorer
Explorer
After talking with Carli and CJCoffroad I decided to try the Firestone airbags and Daystar cradles. I will let you guys know how they work.

rider997
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
I'd go with bags and a sway bar if you need it.
Timbrens require some sag before they engage. Not sure if the Carli kit has any lift but I'd want the Timbrens engaging right away with the camper on which would not be comfortable as a DD since you presumably got the kit for the ride quality.

Timbren supplies spacers (for free) if you have too much of an air gap in an unloaded condition.

You'll want no more than 1/2" gap unloaded, most likely.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
I'd go with bags and a sway bar if you need it.
Timbrens require some sag before they engage. Not sure if the Carli kit has any lift but I'd want the Timbrens engaging right away with the camper on which would not be comfortable as a DD since you presumably got the kit for the ride quality.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold