cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Carlisle Radial Trail HD?

DesertTracker
Explorer
Explorer
On my last trailer, a Pioneer 18T6, I had a Maxxis with tread separation after 4 years, so I replaced the set with Carlisle Radial Trail RHs and was very happy with them for the next two and a half years until I sold the trailer. I replaced that trailer with a 2011 Springdale and am again looking for tires. I ran across the Carlisle Radial Trail HDs which is the newer version of the RHs and found they come in Load Range D in my size (205/75-14) and they are only a couple more dollars a tire than the Load Range C Maxxis in the same size at Discount Tire Direct (America's Tire). I would love to have a load range D, but am not sure of being one of the first to own a new line of tires. Has anyone had any experience with the HDs? Thanks for any help.
2011 Keystone Springdale 189
2000 Dodge 2500 4x4 V10 4.10
19 REPLIES 19

aguablanco
Explorer
Explorer
DesertTracker wrote:
On my last trailer, a Pioneer 18T6, I had a Maxxis with tread separation after 4 years, so I replaced the set with Carlisle Radial Trail RHs and was very happy with them for the next two and a half years until I sold the trailer. I replaced that trailer with a 2011 Springdale and am again looking for tires. I ran across the Carlisle Radial Trail HDs which is the newer version of the RHs and found they come in Load Range D in my size (205/75-14) and they are only a couple more dollars a tire than the Load Range C Maxxis in the same size at Discount Tire Direct (America's Tire). I would love to have a load range D, but am not sure of being one of the first to own a new line of tires. Has anyone had any experience with the HDs? Thanks for any help.

I just purchased and installed 5 Carlisle RH ST 205/75R15/8 tires on my 24' trailer to replace some old 14" tires. Bought these at walmart.com for $47 each including mounting. Have only towed them ~12 miles but I felt an immediate improvement in handling and they seemed to roll easier. We will be going on a 3000 mile trip starting Aug 4 and I will report back after I return.
RichH
2017 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
8 Speed Transmission
2010 Dutchmen 24 FB-SL
Curt 10,000# WDH
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Nosedive
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced the junk Constancy 225/75/15 load range D tires that came with our Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDSLE about a month ago with load range E Carlisle's. So far have put about 3,000 miles on them averaging 68-70 mph and they have performed flawlessly. Handling is about the same as the tires before. All in all I have way more confidence in them than the Constancy's.

bstar1952
Explorer
Explorer
djsamuel wrote:
bstar1952 wrote:
I always buy from Discount Tire but those HDs are expensive and DT does not offer a road hazard warranty on ST tires.

May be the Discount Tire in your area. Back in October, I purchased four of the Carlisle RH radials from Discount Tires and did get the road Hazard certificates.

Did go back to Discount Tire and was able to purchase Road Hazard Certificates. Thanks for the info. By the way, a friend of mine just purchased a set of Carisle RTs. He didn't know to check the date codes and his tires were made on 1414 so his "New" tires are 2 years old. The date code on my HDs are all 0916. I've put about 500 miles on these tire and so far so good.
Bstar1952
Bandera, Texas
2020 Ram 2500,6.4 Hemi
2019 (East to West) Della Terra 29KRK
Fastway E2 WHD Hitch

aguablanco
Explorer
Explorer
3oaks wrote:
brirene wrote:
According to a thread a month or so ago, I got the impression the HD's are a version of the RH sold exclusively at Discount Tire. Just branding.
False Info being passed there.

Another example why to verify anything posted on the internet by unknown persons. 😉

As Abe Lincoln said in his daily blog, "You can't believe anything on the internet without verification."
RichH
2017 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
8 Speed Transmission
2010 Dutchmen 24 FB-SL
Curt 10,000# WDH

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
bstar1952 wrote:
I always buy from Discount Tire but those HDs are expensive and DT does not offer a road hazard warranty on ST tires.

May be the Discount Tire in your area. Back in October, I purchased four of the Carlisle RH radials from Discount Tires and did get the road Hazard certificates.

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
3oaks wrote:
brirene wrote:
3oaks wrote:
brirene wrote:
According to a thread a month or so ago, I got the impression the HD's are a version of the RH sold exclusively at Discount Tire. Just branding.
...Yes, I read what you wrote and my comment wasn't aimed directly at you, but where your information came from. That is why I said "False Info being passed there", when it leaves people with a false impression.

By asking questions on other forums and sources just like you did can help bring out the facts. :@

I stand corrected and apologize to anyone misled by my initial comment. Clearly that is not the case. 3oaks, you're correct. I might have done a better job of indicating my post as unconfirmed. Happy trails.
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

“Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

phone_man
Explorer
Explorer
bstar1952 wrote:
I always buy from Discount Tire but those HDs are expensive and DT does not offer a road hazard warranty on ST tires. So I shopped around and just brought a set (225/75/R15, load range E) online from Tread Depot. Even with shipping, I saved over $30 per tire from DT. I asked DT for a price match but never heard back from them. https://www.treaddepot.com/#!productGroup/tires/rtlhd

I also did 2 at a time and took to a local tire shop here in my town for balancing and mounting. So far happy with the tires.

I'm not sure about the road hazard and ST tires. I have it on the Maxis tires I bought and it was replaced for free after a blow out. Of course they never have Maxis in stock they they gave me a Carlisle replacement.

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
brirene wrote:
3oaks wrote:
brirene wrote:

Another example why to verify anything posted on the internet by unknown persons. 😉

Which is why I qualified it by writing "I got the impression...". Reading is fundamental. Nice drive by, though. :R
"Drive by", certainly not. Yes, I read what you wrote and my comment wasn't aimed directly at you, but where your information came from. That is why I said "False Info being passed there", when it leaves people with a false impression.

By asking questions on other forums and sources just like you did can help bring out the facts. :@

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
3oaks wrote:
brirene wrote:

Which is why I qualified it by writing "I got the impression...". Reading is fundamental. Nice drive by, though. :R
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

“Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
Way too early, but the tread pattern is different from the usual patterns.

Much better looking tread pattern with a center rib and two narrow ribs on the outsides help the tire track straight and run cooler than the RH. The HD also lost that rounded sidewall profile. The HD is a new redesigned tire.
I think some tire chain stores and dealers pass along lots of mis information about tires which is taken as gospel especially on rv forums where so many folks are new to trailers and tires.

This from Carlisle new website;

Carlisle Radial Trail HD
We have completely redesigned the industry-leading Radial Trail RH trailer tire for:
Improved tread wear
Greater heat resistance
Increased durability

In real world testing, the Radial TrailHD showed a 10% improvement in tire life over the Radial TrailRH, giving you a longer lasting trailer tire.

Building the toughest trailer tire means we needed to engineer the inside to be as strong as the outside. Every component in the Radial TrailHD was updated to outperform the competition. Every component in the Radial TrailHD was optimized to reduce rolling resistance – extending tire life and increasing durability.

So, whether you use your trailer for work, play or sport, the Radial TrailHD tire is the toughest and safest radial trailer tire on the market giving you increased peace of mind and protection.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
brirene wrote:

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
If Les Schwab handles them, I'll give them a try. LS currently warrants my Tow Max. So far free replacement as needed.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

aguablanco
Explorer
Explorer
I had 14" tires on my 24' Dutchmen trailer and I was never happy with load range c tires. I found Carlisle Radial Trail RH 205/75R15/8 tires at walmart.com for $47 each mounting included. I also found some very nice chrome 15" rims on ebay for $45 each. All totaled I spent $500 for 5 tires and rims.
RichH
2017 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
8 Speed Transmission
2010 Dutchmen 24 FB-SL
Curt 10,000# WDH

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
bstar1952 wrote:
I always buy from Discount Tire but those HDs are expensive and DT does not offer a road hazard warranty on ST tires. So I shopped around and just brought a set (225/75/R15, load range E) online from Tread Depot. Even with shipping, I saved over $30 per tire from DT. I asked DT for a price match but never heard back from them. https://www.treaddepot.com/#!productGroup/tires/rtlhd

I also did 2 at a time and took to a local tire shop here in my town for balancing and mounting. So far happy with the tires.

DT does sell road hazard certs. I got 4 of them. They actually offered them for $10.00 each. They wanted $16.75 for the cert. I said no thanks, and then they came back with $10.00 each so I went for it.
OTD price was $279.00 mounted and balanced for two.