cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Changing differential gears

delwhjr
Explorer
Explorer
WWould like to hear from those that have actually changed their rear-end ratios.
Did you get any improvement?
Was it worth it?
Any pitfalls?
2022 Rockwood 2109S
2006 Durango HEMI
38 REPLIES 38

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Yes very happy going on 12 years after swapping 3.55 to 4.10 ratio.
Yes improved drivability both towing and unloaded.
Very worth it if you are keeping the vehicle.
No real downside except that I had to buy a programmer to fix the speedo.

Also swapped in Trutrac differentials that really improved off pavement traction. ๐Ÿ™‚

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would have to guess you have the 3.55`s. I`m assuming you want to go to 3.90 or 4.10. 3.90 was a factory option. If you have 4WD you have to do front and rear. It could get expensive! However it will make the Durango perform much better. If you want to keep the Durango it is a worth while mod.
I had a Dodge conv van with the 5.9L and 3.55 gears. I went to 3.90`s and it was a huge improvement! solo hwy mileage went down, but around town and towing mileage went up.

Its not cheap if you have to pay to do it, but from a performance stand point well worth it!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Expect about 1500 per axle unless you do it yourself, which you're not if you're asking this question. Yes it helps. IMO, not worth it unless a specific situation. Easier to upgrade to a similar value vehicle with more power or deeper gears IMO.

If it's a 2wd and you know what you're looking for, a junkyard 3rd member swap is cheaper and easier, again if you're doing it yourself.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
Why not just get a Gear Vendors auxillary box and keep your ratio and pick up a few extra ones? They are bolt on.

VERY EXPENSIVE !

I am assuming the OP wants to swap in a higher gear ratio for better towing, especially on hills.

There is no "payback" on this except the peace of mind when you are going up hill and able to keep up with traffic and not having to worry about hitting you in the rear end because you are only going 25 MPH !

Don't forget, you will probably have to go to a dealer to have them change the ration inside the PCM so that the speedometer reads correctly and the transmission shifts correctly.

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Why not just get a Gear Vendors auxillary box and keep your ratio and pick up a few extra ones? They are bolt on.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
It looks like our next RAM 3500 SRW will have to have 3.42 diff (unless they change for 2020 with gen 5) so it is entirely possible I will have them changed out for 3.73 or even 4.10 within a couple of years.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I know next to nothing about Durango power trains. My old '97 F150 came with 3.55 gears, a very weak 4.6L V8, and a 4 speed auto. I upgraded the gears to 4.10s with great success. It was like a new truck.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Depending on which way you go you could gain a bit or loose a bit in fuel economy. It also depends on of you have a 4X2 or a 4X4 what the cost will be. Payback? Not likely in this lifetime. Could you have a better towing experience? Possibly. Again it depends.

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
I would suggest a Durango forum for specific information for your SUV would be more accurate...unless someone has a Durango with a Hemi here?
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion