cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing my truck!

NSP-Biker
Explorer
Explorer
This was kind of spontaneous, hopefully a good decision. What I have is a '99 F350SRW 7.3L with airbags and no other major mods. What I just bought for a screaming deal is an '03 F350DRW 6.0L Lariat set up for a fifth wheel. We have a NL 10-2. Normally I research stuff intensely before I buy but the opportunity was there. The justification was two-fold. 100,000 fewer miles than my 99 (147k) and the DRW because I feel really fragile and rolly-polly even with airbags at 100#. I have two questions, one you can answer "did I make a good choice?". The other is "do I keep or sell the 99?". One thing I didn't think about until later is the fact that now I'll need to get brackets for my Happi Jacks to fit the DRW. I love my 99, but she's showing some wear and I'm not sure whether to sell it to buy a boat or use it as a "farm truck". I don't have a farm...
1999 PSD F-350 SRW K&N, Sys-1, Ride-Rite
2005 Northern Lite 10.2CD "Special Edition"
2004 XL650L
GSX1100G, VS700 (Hers), 53 Belair (Hers), Z50R
More girls than I ever hoped for...(mom + 2 lovely daughters)
20 REPLIES 20

northshore
Explorer
Explorer
I would keep the 7.3 for a while, just to keep your options open.
It may pay off in the end to hang on to the 7.3, it won't go down in value to keep it.

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
the May thru June 03 engine builds were probably the best. the first gen injectors failed alot and when they went to the second generation injector they slowed down the build process to make sure they had it right. I did 130000 hard service miles on my injectors before two failed. Don't mod the engine except to bullet proof the head as described earlier. International MFG it as a 250 hp engine, Ford changed the electronics to give it 75 more HP hence the head gasket and stud problem.
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer
If you saved a ton, consider bullet proofing it. It is not cheap or easy if you turn wrenches...but it will make the 6.0 gtg.

If you haven't, start reading and prepare to be scared. Don't worry to much though, all problems have fixes and it is a good engine once deleted and bullet proofed.

And it WILL out tow any 7.3 stock or tuned. It is a beast of a motor.
2017 Ford F-350, crewcab, 4x4, 6.7 diesel.
2016 Thunderjet Luxor 21' limited edition, Yamaha powered.
2016 Wolf Creek 840-SOLD, Arctic Fox 990 ordered.

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
6l are lovely engines when they run fine.
They suck when Head Gasket start failing, or oil cooler gets clog, or EGR cooler leak.
Start with installing coolant pressure gauge and... good luck.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Screaming deal maybe due to that 6.0L

Read about issues and cures
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Congrats!

I think a few people will likely say that '03 6.0s aren't the best choice, but it depends on it a lot of factors. You can do more research on 6.0s to find out more about what their issues are.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member