cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chipmunk damage to Chevy Truck

Canuck_Travelle
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a link to Pictures on Photobucket (hope it works) showing the damage that Chipmunks did to the Insulation Blanket on the outside of the Firewall of my 2500 HD Diesel Truck. They tore the plastic blanket & removed the insulation and put it into the bottom of the Air Intake for apparently their nest. I did not realize they were using it to make a nest there until I changed the Air Filter. In the meantime before I found this under the air filter & discovered the little buggers removing the insulation I trapped about 8 of them and removed them out into the deep woods.
I inquired from my dealer the price of the blanket & it is $318 Canadian, he wants to see the vehicle to see the cost of installation, that will be tomorrow.
Curious if anyone has this happen to them with that Insulation Blanket and how big a job to replace and is it really necessary and exactly what is it for....stop heat from engine to interior or keep Air Conditioning cooler or a noise barrier?
Any help is really appreciated.....Ernie Photobucket
2017 Chev Silverado LTZ,6.2 Engine,8 SPEED,4WD, Nav Option, Leather Package, almost all options.
15 REPLIES 15

rbtglove
Explorer
Explorer
They must like Chevy trucks, they did over a $1000 damage to mine last year. Comprehensive paid all but $50.
Bob/Beavercreek OH
2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ/Trail Lite 8230

6_6_Oilburner
Explorer
Explorer
Just remove the remnants of the blanket and leave it out. If the truck sits long enough enough the chipmunks will just do it again. I pulled mine out of my 01 for this reason. I can also tell you I have had my share of these trucks torn down for various repairs and there is almost always a mouse nest consisting of mostly firewall insulation under the Y-Bridge (Intake) in the valley.

shepstone
Explorer
Explorer
Why not do a cab off if its that tricky?
2017 F350 Ruby Red Super Cab Dually 6.7 3.55 gears. B&W Companion 25K. BackRack. Gatorback mud guards. AUX65FCBRG aux tank. 2021 GD 380fl
2010 GMC Savanna 3500 extended 6.0

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
Don't feel too bad. Look what happened to this car when it hit a chipmunk.

2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

kellertx5er
Explorer
Explorer
A liberal dose of cayenne pepper under the hood will go a long way in discouraging rodents from taking up residence.
Keller TX
'19 Chevy 2500HD 6.0L
'09 Outback Sydney 321FRL 5er
SUPPORT TEXAS STATE PARKS

Canuck_Travelle
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for your replies, went to the GM dealer I bought the truck from yesterday, claims this is a BIG job says Engine may have to be removed, I cannot see why as this should be a blanket that slips in around the firewall....maybe I am wrong or maybe this dealer does not want to get involved. The engine is the 6.6 Duramax and I don't want anyone swinging that Engine out, I can imagine the problems that might occur with that operation.
Going to two other Chevy & GMC Dealers today. I guess cant hurt to see these other dealers and get some advise surely one of these dealers have encountered this. Yesterday we drove 50 Miles each way and sound was no different than before the critters did their dirty deal. Will let the forum know if I find any more info that might help others, thanks again.....Ernie
2017 Chev Silverado LTZ,6.2 Engine,8 SPEED,4WD, Nav Option, Leather Package, almost all options.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
I learned the hard way about checking the air filter on the vehicle left behind when we return from an outing.

Strange about materials. We had a Toyota that had a strip of foam filler that helped close the air gap between the rad and the hood. The meeces just loved that stuff and only that particular piece of foam on that vehicle. :h

gwh1bass
Explorer
Explorer
Have a 2005 Ford 6.0 Excursion and critters have pretty much removed all the underhood insulation. Have not replaced it and the cab seems to be a bit louder.

Have also found nesting material in front of the air filter.

Seeing how autumn is just around the corner, I now frequently check underhood for unwanted guests.

Bedlam
If there is a foil backing, it reduces the heat from the engine entering the cab through the firewall. The weave or foam in the liners is for sound deadening. Some liners have the additional benefit of being a fire retardant or blanket.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
We don't have chipmunks here, but squirrels (I think) built nest under the hood of my previous 2007 F350 and chewed wires and vacuum hoses. Not just chewed, but apparently ate them as large sections were completely gone including the copper. Not once. Not twice. But 3 different times to the tune of about $400 each time. Tried mothballs, fox urine, and neither worked. Found Critter Ridder at Home Depot. Sprayed it on all wires and hoses under the hood and never another problem.

Something about the 2007 I guess. They have never bothered my 2012 F350 or my daughter's Jeep both parked in the same area.

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
On most insurance policies, a claim against comprehensive damage (vs. collision) will not cause a rate increase the following policy period.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

Iraqvet05
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like the GM part number is 15940303. Price seems to be around $175-200 USD from on-line distributors.
2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran

Canuck_Travelle
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Brewurown; Your good! I never thought of that, I have Collison & Comprehensive so that "Might" be the answer, thanks, really appreciate that.
This shows when you have a broad number of people that are willing to volunteer their advise how very helpful it can be.

And Iraqvet05; Thanks for that, my truck is a 2003, it is in PERFECT condition, never had anything happen to it so will get this fixed (if it is necessary.)
We travel to & from south Florida from here in Atlantic Canada about 2200 miles each way so need it to be dependable as it can be.
Thanks...

Brewurown
Explorer
Explorer
I had similar damage and my insurance covered it.
Al
2011 Berkshire 360FWS
2010 Montana Mountaineer 335 RET
Hickory Foothills Good Sam Chapter member