cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cleaning out black tank for winter

bacabunch
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone have a good remedy for removing poop residue? I have hooked up the outside rinsing but still have residue. I was going to try and go through the toilet with hose and see if that flushes it out the drain....
"White Knuckles" Ben :E
2020 Springdale 282BH Travel Trailer pulled by a 2015 Chevy 2500HD Silverado LB.

Ben:EMarisela:RNatalie:MMaria:BEmily:WMatthew:oAbby>JoeJoe: Bogey(Westie):p Gracie(Shih Tzu) :M Daisy (Yorkie)
19 REPLIES 19

Cocky_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
Fill with water and let it sit a few days. Do for a bumpy ride and it is slosh around, and drain it...
2004 Sea Breeze by National RV - 8341

Former Coaches:
2006 Keystone Zeppeline 291 - TT
2000 Aerolite Cub F21 - Hybrid TT
1991 Coleman Pop Up

Formerly known as: hybrid_camper

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
CavemanCharlie wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
Unless you have an issue...I wouldn't worry about it. Who cares if there is a little crud on the inside of the tank? Now if you have a pile of poo under the inlet, that's an issue.

Two habits to get into:
- Avoid dumping unless at least half and preferably 3/4 full. That will allow the poo to float and provide enough flow to carry it out.
- Put a few gallons of water in before a drive. The sloshing around will knock any larger deposits off and the next poo deposit will be floating and not stuck to the bottom.

This is what I do .

This is what I do do, too.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
valhalla360 wrote:
Unless you have an issue...I wouldn't worry about it. Who cares if there is a little crud on the inside of the tank? Now if you have a pile of poo under the inlet, that's an issue.

Two habits to get into:
- Avoid dumping unless at least half and preferably 3/4 full. That will allow the poo to float and provide enough flow to carry it out.
- Put a few gallons of water in before a drive. The sloshing around will knock any larger deposits off and the next poo deposit will be floating and not stuck to the bottom.

This is what I do .

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
valhalla360 wrote:

Two habits to get into:

This is what I do .

Wishin
Explorer
Explorer
If you can take a drive before dumping, that does help.

As for residue, I always fill my fresh water tank up with soft water from my house whenever possible. When I can't, I put Calgon water softener powder down the toilet. I also add some high efficiency clothes washing machine soap (apparently it has less suds than non-high efficiency?) down the toilet after dumping each time and add several gallons of water. Then when I'm driving home or to the next campground, the soft water and soap is sloshing around cleaning it out. My trailer has now seen 7 seasons of use and when I drained it out for the end of the season, I only saw black plastic below the toilet. No residue. I also try to flush it out a little better the last time of the season. This time I dumped 2 5 gallon containers of clean water down the toilet after doing my normal drain. Sometimes I have my wife in there flushing the toilet and I shut the black valve for a minute, the let it flush out, shut it again to build up, then open it up again. Do that a few times until it runs clean.
2014 Wildwood 26TBSS - Upgraded with 5200lb axles and larger Goodyear ST tires
2003 Chevrolet 2500 4x4 Suburban 8.1L 4.10's

pbeverly
Explorer III
Explorer III
I take a 7 gallon tote for drinking water, ice and coffee. Way more than I need. When I leave campground I dump. After dumping I pour whatever is left from the 7 gallon tote into the toilet for the drive home. Once home, drain that. Do backflush until water comes out clear, then fill black/gray tanks 100% and let sit for at least 48 hours. I also add Tank Blaster for the 48 hour soak. People Tank Blast is a waste of money. It is cheap. $9 bucks for 4 treatments. If I can afford and TT I can handle $9. And my tank sensors have been reliable for me.
Ridgeway, SC
2019 26DBH Grey Wolf

lane_hog
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not something to do right now with winter upon us, but come spring, give your black tank a good soak over a couple weeks with preferably 25% of your tank capacity. For me, that's 15 gallons of fresh water, or three Home Depot buckets dumped down the toilet.

Nothing else - just water. Whatever was on the bottom will liquify on its own. The longer you let it sit the better, and always keep water in your black tanks during the season. Too many people drain them and that never gives stuff a chance to dissolve.
  • 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
wanderingbob wrote:
The easiest way to clean the tank is to take a drive . Back when we stayed in campgrounds we would not dump when leaving a campground , we would dump upon arrival at the next campground . The sloshing around did the job and there was never any line at dump spot .

I have recently tried taking the next time out approach as well.
I have also noticed the tanks drain a lot better after taking the ride.
I can dump at home but the process is a bit cumbersome do to the location of my cleanout relative to the driveway.
Instead of dumping at home I decided to dump a week later at the CG.
Waiting has not been a problem and the tanks dump more efficiently.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
The easiest way to clean the tank is to take a drive . Back when we stayed in campgrounds we would not dump when leaving a campground , we would dump upon arrival at the next campground . The sloshing around did the job and there was never any line at dump spot .

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
I buy the cheapest automatic dishwasher soap. Every time I dump both the gray and black tanks I add about 1/2 cup of the dishwasher soap and several gallons of water.

Never leave the tanks completely drained except after cleaning at the end of the season.

At the end of the season I have found it takes very little flushing to clean out the black tank with one of the wands.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
What is your plan? Are you converting it to a fresh water tank? Otherwise, why care about it?
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Unless the crud is significant I would just ignore it - you really don't need a perfectly clean black water tank. If your determined to have a really clean black water tank then consider buying a bottle of septic tank cleaner (available at most hardware stores) - fill the black water tank to the top and give it 2-3 weeks to work. When you drain hold your breath as the fluid will be very nasty.
Kevin

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Using a tank wand periodically will keep the build up to a minimum, filling and dumping your black tank multiple times just won't get out all the crud. We thought the same thing, using the tank wand we were amazed at what was left.

Sure, there are plenty of homemade and store bought black tank concoctions that might aid in residual accumulation, we use plain water and plenty of it when doing our business, flushing out stubborn blank tank residue monthly with our wand.

We have a flush system on our rig that is somewhat effective, it does not deliver nearly the powerful stream of a tank wand, and can not be directed to reach all areas of black tank. A kit is available so you don't have to drag a hose inside.

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
cleaning black tank!
1. fill the black tank full before you drain it. When the tank has complently drained let the shore water contine to run for 5 min. close the tank.
2. Repeat this process 3 times and then fill the tank 1/4 full. Works for me:)