cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cleaning Tent ends.

Crashproof
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all wondering the things you all use to safely clean Canvas on tent ends. I been lookin but have not been able to find anything. I want to clean but of course not cause it to leak. Thanks in advance, Kevin.
12 REPLIES 12

Joseph_T1
Explorer
Explorer
The best way to keep your canvass clean is to not let it get dirty in the first place. We bought some heat reflecting covers called Gizmos. They go on the tent ends and are held on with clips and bungee cords. Our trailer is now 4 years old but the tent ends look like they did when we bought it.

The added bonus is the Gizmos cut down heat, light and eliminate condensation.

ajohn14
Explorer
Explorer
Crashproof wrote:
Thanks for the replys folks, I am talking mainly about the Canvas on the tent ends. No mold or mildew just wanting to maintain it in a clean fashion. I usually wash my truck with Dawn dish detergent is that ok to use on the canvas with a soft sponge. Thanks, Kevin

Dawn dish washing liquid should be fine for the tent ends but I sure wouldn't use it on your vehicle, it will strip the wax off in just a couple of washings, always better to use a detergent made for washing you vehicle paint it's cheap and wont harm the paint.

ranger234
Explorer
Explorer
What Chuck said about soap and detergent. When we owned our pups with the sunbrella the literature said avoid the detergents and go with soap. They gave examples and we used Ivory Snow dry laundry soap. Did a good job and smelled great afterwards
Gary & Sue
2007 Trail Cruiser C191
2006 Silverado 2500HD Ext.Cab 6L 4.11 Gears
Equalizer WDH

Crashproof
Explorer
Explorer
drenjoey wrote:
Crashproof wrote:
I usually wash my truck with Dawn dish detergent

You must have soft hands Kevin.....had to say it! ๐Ÿ™‚

Dre
Good one Dre. hehe. Thanks all for the replys this is such a cool forum and everyone is always so helpful. I will remember that and if I ever learn any of this stuff will be sure to try and help other newbies. Kevin.

Chuck_S
Explorer
Explorer
Like I said, Woolite (a soap) was recommended for the Sumbrella (canvas type fabric). I recall detergent was specifically a no-no. Only talking about the side panels, the roofs are all vinyl.

-- Chuck
'06 Roo 23SS behind '17 Expedition out of Richmond
Our Photo pages

RandK-M
Explorer
Explorer
If yours is the standard vinyl covered canvas like mine, Mr Clean Magic erasers work great for cleaning it. It also removed the black stuff on my white awning. And for the record, white is a bad color for an awning LOL.

Ray
Jayco 17Z
Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Prodigy P2
Equal-i-zer Hitch
US Navy Veteran

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
We generally use the product we use for car washing - something like Turtle Wax car wash or similar. If you have some stubborn spots, suggest you don't use a Magic Eraser, but try a bit of Simple Green and rinse very thoroughly. We get a product at Dollar Tree, LA's Awesome - a yellow colored product in a nozzle bottle - it says to dilute it per...... DH, not always one to read instructions has used it full strength on the bad spots and they're gone. But he has the canvas wet, sprays this on, gives it a soft scrub with a sponge or towel and rinses very thoroughly. This is not a recommendation, mearly something has worked for us, so try an out-of-site spot before you get into this. We have never used the 303, but have heard wonderful reports. If you find the inside needs a bit of freshening, I use Woolite and then a towel to dry as much as possible. Be sure to leave the bunkend open until everything is completely dry - maybe a day or two.

If you normally use Dawn, I'd see no problem. If it's safe for baby ducks after an oil spill, it should be good for your bunkends.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

drenjoey
Explorer
Explorer
Crashproof wrote:
I usually wash my truck with Dawn dish detergent

You must have soft hands Kevin.....had to say it! ๐Ÿ™‚

Dre

Crashproof
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replys folks, I am talking mainly about the Canvas on the tent ends. No mold or mildew just wanting to maintain it in a clean fashion. I usually wash my truck with Dawn dish detergent is that ok to use on the canvas with a soft sponge. Thanks, Kevin

Chuck_S
Explorer
Explorer
"Un-waterproofing" when cleaning depends on the material.

The Sunbrella sidewalls on our popup was cleaned with cold water and woolite and then re-treated with 303 protectorate.

100% vinyl tentage, like our Roo, is just cleaned with "car wash" like the rest of the camper.

-- Chuck
'06 Roo 23SS behind '17 Expedition out of Richmond
Our Photo pages

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
your owner's manual should have a printout from the canvas manufacturer, with care and maintenance instructions.

it would help knowing what you're trying to clean: mold, mildew, stains?

by the way, cleaning will not "un-waterproof" the canvas.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
I've just used regular car wash.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA