cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coleman roof separation

rfryer
Explorer
Explorer
One of my sons has a 1998 Coleman Santa Fe PU. The top has separated and I suspect it falls in that era that Fleetwood had those roof problems It’s a nice PU but at the moment a throwaway. Has anyone had any experience with that or similar units and were you able to repair or replace it? Posts I read some time back didn’t sound very encouraging.
10 REPLIES 10

gijoecam
Explorer
Explorer
Once it's started, there is no stopping it. It's only going to get worse with time.

The only drawback to coating it is the added weight. Many Colemans of that era are dangerously close to their weight limit to start with. It was a great concept with a poor long term results.

bondebond
Explorer
Explorer
Depending on just how much is delaminating and how serious the other cracks are, you can use a bit of ABS and MEK (methyl ethyl ketone) to make a paste to fill in the cracks. MEK is just a solvent, so you are really just making an ABS cement.

After that, many folks have reported success using truck bed liner in several coats to cover the entire roof and restore a water proof surface that seems to hold the rest of the ABS in check. Some have gone so far as to completely remove the ABS shell, apply a primer to the bare foam and then spray/roll coatings such as bed liner on it. Bed liner seems to be a clear winner for repair versus full-out roof rebuilding and replacing.
This space left intentionally.

2006 Fleetwood Sequoia and mods...one of the tallest highwall pop-ups on the planet after flipping the axle.

DawnNewJersey
Explorer
Explorer
I had one side seperate from my roof. I have a 2004 Fleetwood sedona, (purchased new). I took it To my Dealer after seeing the fixes possible on Popup portal. They put up a 2x4 to reattached my bed side to the roof and Rechaulked. The rest of the pop up is like new, so I sure hope the Fix holds for a while yet.

I wish you Good luck and hope you will Repost to let us know how you made out with it.

rfryer
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the lead crdodd. That looks like a good site. I haven't gotten into it yet but I see threads talking about the delamination.

Crdodd
Explorer
Explorer
Take your question to PopUpPortal.com I am sure you can find someone with the same model and year who has already fixed that problem.
2011Wildcat 312BHX
2008 F350 6.4L PSD SRWCC 4x4 King Ranch
Companion Hitch

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
I don't recall any posts on actually repairing one but many about replacing one. My thought is there has to be something that can be done. See if you can post some pictures of the damage and maybe someone on here can come up with some ideas.

My first thought is to drill the end of any small cracks with a small drill bit to stop the spread. Then take the top off and have it sprayed with Rhino liner material.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

pcfeld
Explorer
Explorer
A lot of other sites/forums have detailed pics and info on rebuilds like rfryer mentioned.
Pat ('66)
Sandi ('67)
DD ('92)
DS ('95)
DS ('03
2001 Town & Country
2005 Chevy Avalanche
2004-Rockwood 2280
A few pictures

Bamabound
Explorer
Explorer
I heard from a repair shop owner that he couldn't get parts to fix a Coleman and was gonna have to part out the one he had. Good luck.

rfryer
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, Donn0128. No , I thought I'd try the forum first. I agree there's too many out there for there not to be a fix for them. I will try other forums, online and some repair shops to see what I come up with.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Did you try a web search? I'm sure there is ways to fix it. Just too many out there for not to be.