cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Common issues with Dodge 6.7L or Ford 6.7

kincade
Explorer
Explorer
Hoping to solicit some of the collective advice from the gurus on the forum about a new truck purchase. I've been lucky to own a few great trucks: 2001 7.3 powerstroke, a 2007 LBZ duramax, and just sold a 2003 cummins 5.9. All were great vehicles and I've been looking for similar replacements with lower miles. However, the only similar model trucks in my area with low miles are priced the same as the new vehicles and come without many of the amenities. Supply and demand I suppose.

In any case, I figure for similar pricing I should look at the Dodge 6.7 and Ford 6.7. I'm wondering if either have an achilles heel that should be watched for or checked out prior to purchase?

Thanks for any guidance you can give.

I'd appreciate everyone keeping this civil. This ISN'T a what truck is best kind of post. I'd simply like to know about the common issues to each model and what to watch for.
87 REPLIES 87

Fordlover
Explorer
Explorer
To be fair, the only common problem modern diesel owners have is getting that wide grin off their face.
2016 Skyline Layton Javelin 285BH
2018 F-250 Lariat Crew 6.2 Gas 4x4 FX4 4.30 Gear
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed daily driver
Retired 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4
Sold 2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
kincade wrote:

In any case, I figure for similar pricing I should look at the Dodge 6.7 and Ford 6.7. I'm wondering if either have an achilles heel that should be watched for or checked out prior to purchase?

Thanks for any guidance you can give.

Both great trucks with no real achilles heal with either. I would purchase based on dealer quality and which has the aesthetics and fits your behind best. I know which seats fit me best in long drives but that does not really help you.

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Just to clarify, the 2013+ Rams do not have a 60k mile emissions service due to addition of DEF. And it is correct that the Ram has a much better exhaust brake until the 2015+ Ford.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
kincade wrote:
Thank you all for the constructive posts. Just to clarify, this ISN'T a what truck is best kind of post. I'd simply like to know about the common issues to each model and what to watch for. And thank you all for telling me about this.

So the 2013+ Cummins 6.7's went to a DEF system and that seems to be more reliable and get better mileage. Were the 2007-2012 problematic?

I've found a few 2011-2012 6.7 PSD's around me for a good price, but the mention of the high pressure pump issues spook me out a bit. Are the issues random?

Thanks again.

Yes they're random and idk what the chances are, but you are or will be out of warranty with an 11-12 model soon. Also, no decent exhaust brake until the '15? models.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

kincade
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for the constructive posts. Just to clarify, this ISN'T a what truck is best kind of post. I'd simply like to know about the common issues to each model and what to watch for. And thank you all for telling me about this.

So the 2013+ Cummins 6.7's went to a DEF system and that seems to be more reliable and get better mileage. Were the 2007-2012 problematic?

I've found a few 2011-2012 6.7 PSD's around me for a good price, but the mention of the high pressure pump issues spook me out a bit. Are the issues random?

Thanks again.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
You should by what I have. It's the best truck on the market. I know because I say so. 🙂
Seriously though, I've had my 2012 Ram for 4 years this coming weekend. Two recalls. One for a grid heater harness and one for an emissions which I tried to not get done but they snuck it in on me one time. Never got the tie rod recall notice. I had an EGR valve get sticky. Took me about 1hr to fix, besides the soaking time. Probably my fault for doing too much in town driving. Been totally happy with the truck.
I never looked at GM because there just seems to be a shortage of 3/4 ton diesels where I live and deals are not very good. I have always been a Ford guy but after owning my 2010 F150 I lost faith in them. I might of bought an F250 diesel but at the time there were some growing pains with the CP4. Because of that and the good deal I got on my Ram with the CP3, I went with Ram.
I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Ram. Ergonomically they fit me perfect. Fit and finish is top notch and with the new ones going to DEF and the coil spring rear suspension on the 3/4 ton they seem to be the best for ME.
Best thing to do is drive all 3. JMHO they're all good. Each has there pros and cons, so to me it comes down to creature comfort and the best deal you can get.

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
There is no way to predict problems you might have. Most problems connected with diesel engines are expensive. The transmissions are expensive. Buying used without a warranty is always a gamble. Do you feel lucky?
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
My decision came down to these two.

The Ford is a nice truck. Was leery of the CP4 pump failure issue and the platform felt very dated (because it is until the 2017 models come out). Acceleration was very impressive, and quiet.

The Ram is also a nice truck. Feels much slower off the line and the transmission isn't as smooth. But it has the Cummins, and the platform is much more rigid and the resulting ride and handling balance is head and shoulders better.

The deals were comparable when I bought, and I opted for the Ram. Neither truck is perfect and both have some great selling points. Either will tow like a beast all day long.

Edit - Just wanted to add, I don't think there are common issues with either truck. You might get unlucky but most people will have few issues with either one.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
...and Toyota beats them all, while hauling a truck camper and pulling a fifth wheel, and a boat, with the A/C on and the wife wearing a moo-moo! 😛
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Putting on the flak jacket to stick around here! Lol
Give it 2 more pages to totally get off track!
But I'll give you the cliff notes.
Ram is best
Ford is worst
Ram is worst,
Ford is best
GM kills em both.
GM couldn't pull itself out of a wet paper sack!
Think that covers it!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in a gasser now and pay to have my oil changes at the dealer (along with computer updates, recalls, etc, etc.). With my old diesel I'd do it myself along with the fuel filter. Everyone has their breaking point for cost and for me it becomes worth it to do it myself somewhere between the gasser and diesel. I can get a coupon and get a synthetic change for around $70 at roughly 8-10K mile intervals with the gas. Diesel at about the same intervals with the fuel filter runs a couple hundred. Or, at least that is what it was with my old Duramax before I sold it.

It's been a couple years since I sold the diesel and I actually kind of miss crawling around under the truck a couple times a year. As a broke college kid I think I spent more time under my car than driving it 🙂 Other than changing oil and filling fluids I don't have a clue what to do with most parts of these modern vehicles.

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Perrysburg Dodgeboy wrote:
The CP4 pump is a non issue now the bugs are are worked out. Cost of service as mentioned above will be lower on the Ram.

Take both for a spin and the one that feels better buy it. Myself I would look at the GM twins before the Ford at lest drive then too.

Don

My Power Stroke doesn't require a emissions' service at 60k miles(< MY'13)nor does it require a valve lash adjustment as part of it's service requirements, and my transmission requires service at 150k miles compared to the aisin's 30k miles. Oil changes is a breeze with easy access to the oil filter.

Oil change intervals on the cummins is longer so that would be a savings only if you drive more than 15k miles in less than 6 months which probably covers very few if not any owners here. And some owners don't want to mess with removing the oil filter so they pay to have the oil changed rather than do it their selves.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
Deleted to keep on topic. Sorry OP

Don
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Open the hood, that should give you reason to consider ease of working on it if keeping past the factory warranty.

This pretty much says it all. I plan on keeping my truck a very long time and it was obvious the Cummins would be much easier to work on. Also, the Ford was a much nicer truck in the past but that simply isn't the case anymore with the 4th generation Rams.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

DakotaDad
Explorer
Explorer
Drive 'em both (or all three). Buy the one you like the best. Buy the one that makes you smile. Be happy.

I just dragged my 38' fifth wheel 2000+ miles to Yellowstone and Glacier National Parks. We crossed the Continental Divide, and went up and down some serious grades. The truck never even broke a sweat. And I have no doubt the other brands would perform similarly.

Don't let anyone talk you into one of 'em, or out of one of 'em. Drive 'em all. Make up your own mind, and you'll never have to second guess the decision...
Jason, Angie, and our boys, Sean (13) and Liam (8)
Now with Radar and Daisy, both Boston Terriers. Missing Artemus the Labrador, gone on ahead.
2016 Ram 3500 CC Big Horn - 6.7 Cummins - B&W RVK3600 hitch
2015 Palomino Sabre 33RETS Platinum fifth wheel