cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Compare Wildwood X-lite and Grey Wolf

dee74
Explorer
Explorer
Our family is looking at a Wildwood X-lite 262BHXL and a Grey Wolf 26DBH. I was trying to find a comparison of the two trailers butr have not been able to find one. Can anyone provide a comparison or a pros and cons list?
12 REPLIES 12

dee74
Explorer
Explorer
dadmomh wrote:
Have never set foot in either so just personal opinion here....I would much prefer to have a window in the door...not only for light but for the security factor. I want to be able to see if someone is at the door. On the Grey Wolf, I'm not a big fan of the stone-look/pseudo fireplace entertainment center. Just prefer the wood of the Wildwood. Can't remember which had it, but I like the appearance of the glass kitchen cabinet door inserts but not sure if it would be a problem with the bumping and swaying enroute. And unless you keep the cabinet neat and tidy, could be an eyesore. Otherwise they appear about equal.

Agree that a salesman will always stress that the model on his lot is a higher quality than the same basic model he doesn't have. Suggest you make a return trip with a checklist of some things like quality of the cabinets, hardware, comfort of the bed, quality of the fabrics and flooring and anything else that comes to mind. The sticker put on at the factory on the front street side will tell you where the unit was manufactured....could be a give-away. With the ROO HTT we had vs the Flagstaff Shamrock, they go down the same assembly line, made the same way, only the decals, fabrics and some minor details are different. If they were made at the same factory, you can seriously consider that they're the same with different decals, etc.

Which dealer are you most comfortable with? Confidence in what you're being told? Remember to do your own homework and not assume that what you're hearing is true. We are on our second Forest River trailer and have been pleased with both. No problems other than a loose wire in the stereo and it was fixed before we headed home. Strongly suggest that if there is an open campground nearby, you make that the stop for the first night. It will give you time to go over everything and if you find any glitches, you're right there to get it fixed before heading out.

Good luck...either is a nice looking trailer.

Thank you for the thorough reponse. The Grey Wolf is really my family's favorite with a couple of features that do not seem to be available on the Wildwood. These small items can really make our decision. I will let you all know what we finally decided. As for the dealer, I bought my last tt from them and I cannot say I was impressed by them but the price was right.

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
Have never set foot in either so just personal opinion here....I would much prefer to have a window in the door...not only for light but for the security factor. I want to be able to see if someone is at the door. On the Grey Wolf, I'm not a big fan of the stone-look/pseudo fireplace entertainment center. Just prefer the wood of the Wildwood. Can't remember which had it, but I like the appearance of the glass kitchen cabinet door inserts but not sure if it would be a problem with the bumping and swaying enroute. And unless you keep the cabinet neat and tidy, could be an eyesore. Otherwise they appear about equal.

Agree that a salesman will always stress that the model on his lot is a higher quality than the same basic model he doesn't have. Suggest you make a return trip with a checklist of some things like quality of the cabinets, hardware, comfort of the bed, quality of the fabrics and flooring and anything else that comes to mind. The sticker put on at the factory on the front street side will tell you where the unit was manufactured....could be a give-away. With the ROO HTT we had vs the Flagstaff Shamrock, they go down the same assembly line, made the same way, only the decals, fabrics and some minor details are different. If they were made at the same factory, you can seriously consider that they're the same with different decals, etc.

Which dealer are you most comfortable with? Confidence in what you're being told? Remember to do your own homework and not assume that what you're hearing is true. We are on our second Forest River trailer and have been pleased with both. No problems other than a loose wire in the stereo and it was fixed before we headed home. Strongly suggest that if there is an open campground nearby, you make that the stop for the first night. It will give you time to go over everything and if you find any glitches, you're right there to get it fixed before heading out.

Good luck...either is a nice looking trailer.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

dspencer
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2013 Gray Wolf 26BH and absolutely love it. Now granted we only use the bunk part for sleeping when the grandson comes with us. We usually use it for storage but the over all trailer we love it. That's just my opinion of course.

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know about the Grey wolf but I wouldn't even consider a Wildwood. Every one I seen had lousy interior build quality. The Grey wolf models have very short bunks so beware.

I think the Wildwood is Forest River's bottom line. Everything else seemed to be a step up in quality.
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

dee74
Explorer
Explorer
OK We now also found a Starcraft Autumn Ridge 289BHS in a similar model. Any thoughts or reviews on this tt?

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I own a Cherokee 30F, the Grey Wolf is the light model. And I own a Wildwood 26bhss also not the lighter Wildwood X.

The Cherokee is built better in my opinion. Just because there both Forest River does not mean they are built at the same plant. Both of mine are 05 model's so 10 years old and times change. I have had to correct a lot of things on the Wildwood. The stereo was wired with the bed room the right channel and the living room the left. Instead of using aluminum screws they used steel and they rusted. Went to wire the tag light and they used incorrect wire color code for taillights. Interior fit and finish was about the same. Keep in mind both are entry level trailer's, regardless what the dealer said.

I would look at both and get the one you like best. Like someone else said dealer will always say what they sell is best.

dee74
Explorer
Explorer
Westend, that was my thought but I wanted to make sure I was not missing something. I have been looking at both brands and they are about the same price point so I assumed they were at the same level. My wife and I really just like the looks of the Grey Wolf and some of the little features that are not on the Wildwoods that we have seen so we are leaning towards that model.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Whatever the dealer has on the lot will be better than what isn't.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

dee74
Explorer
Explorer
OK I contacted a local Forest River Dealer today that had the Wildwood in stock but not the Grey Wolf. The dealer stated that the Cherokee Grey Wolf line was the Forest River entry level and that he has had to perform numerous repairs on these travel trailers. The dealer went on to say that the Wildwood X-lite is a step up and a much nicer unit. Is there any truth to this statement of are they just trying to move inventory?

Speedogomer
Explorer
Explorer
In reality, they're both the same. They will do the same job.

Go in each, see what one you like better, but you won't be able to find many advantages of either.

Personally, Grey Wolf's always take my eye, they're sharp looking imo.
2016 Ram 1500 Big Horn, "Katy"
2014 Outback Terrain 260trs "Alice"
2011 French Bulldog Shelter adopted edition, "Roscoe"
1982 DW, "Rachel"
2016 DD "Harper", the newest lil camper.

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
They are both Forest River products. They may have some differences in trim, but, their build quality is probably about the same.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)

aamyotte
Explorer
Explorer
I don't like the lack of Windows in the doors on the Grey Wolf. It makes the unit darker inside.
Al
2011 Ford Expedition Max Limited
2006 Trail Cruiser TC23SB
Equalizer WDH