cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

COMPARING THREE DIFFERENT TT COMPANIES

smsmith
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are seriously looking to buy either a Jayco WhiteHawk Ultra Lite, Rockwood Ultra Lite, or a KZ Connect. In terms of quality construction and durability, can you give me any advise--good or bad--about any of the three. We will be pulling this with an F150. Thanks!
25 REPLIES 25

rickm
Explorer
Explorer
My choice is Jayco.....like all brands, they have their issues...... but the one thing i can say, they stand behind what they build. I had a problem back in '99 on my Litehawk, and they stood behind it, and their Customer Service treated me the way one would only hope and expect.... i swore from that time, i would only buy their product ( Starcraft affiliated), and as you can see, i still believe that today! Ask about how Customer Service is ...... Jayco/Starcraft to me is 2nd to none
2017 Jayflight 26BH Elite

Paul_61
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Rockwood Ultra Lite 2508ws 30' had 10 months only one minor problem to fix on warrenty. But I beleive you can get that with all brands as well as get a lemon with all just the luck of the draw. My opinion find any brand that has the floor plan and options you want and check out that model as well as you can and go with it. We choose the Rockwood because it was the size and floor plan we wanted.
Dodge Ram 2500 5.9 diesel
Rockwood 2608 WS 2014

trsky
Explorer
Explorer
We have had our KZ for 4 years with no problems and would recomend
KZ Spree 265KS
2007 Suburban 1500 4x4

bogeygolfer
Explorer
Explorer
Our KZ has been a great trailer and I'd highly recommend one.
2002 KZ Sportsman 2405
2005 Duramax
1996 Foretravel U295

BillB800si
Explorer
Explorer
We had a Jayco Eagle. Nice trailer but we had issues with it. Finally when delamination set it we traded in for a Keystone. Jayco has too much wood in their units. Newer technology ( Aluminum walls, flooring, and roof structure makes for less problems down the road.
Forest River has a 2 year warranty if you buy the 2nd year for $150.

Good luck on your choice.
Bill B. (S.E. Michigan)
2015 Dodge Ram Crew Cab 4x4 Hemi
2016 Rockwood Windjammer 3029W

Jayco254
Explorer
Explorer
Our Jayco was nothing but trouble the first 2 1/2 years we had it all from some one not installing the A/C properly causing it too leak. I understand that problem was cured a number of years ago. I probably should of let Jayco take it back and scrap itdo but they didn't have that floor plan or any other that we liked as much. So they nearly rebuilt it from the ground up, and the majority of the work they did on it was after the warranty was up. That and the good words I hear about the brand from other owners would convince me to buy another. I know anything I buy will not have, anything Lippert in it, even if it means not buying at all. I have seen too trailers with bad Lippert items on the lots.
Tom, Kathy, Nikki, & Kelly
Pets: Lady - Texas Heeler, Dinger - Rhodesian Riidgeback Mix
2008 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4x4 5.4 ci 3.73 gears
2008 Dodge Ram SLT Big Horn 4x4 5.7L Hemi 3.92 gears
2007 Jayco Jayfeather EXP 254
Husky W/D, P-3

rrbenn
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2013 Jayco Whitehawk and are not impressed at all with the quality or should I say lack of quality.

irishtom29
Explorer
Explorer
GordonC50 wrote:
A good portion of the builders are Amish and are very attentive to quality.

Hoosiers in general are hard working, diligent and enterprising. Many boilermakers from northern Indiana came over and worked out of our hall in Chicago and they were first rate hands, and not an Amish among them.

Doug33
Explorer
Explorer
2112 wrote:
The only objective comment I can provide is KZ has a two year warranty.

We owned a KZ Sportsmen for 8 years and were pleased with it. Went to a competitor for the next one and now we are back to KZ.

Bottom line is which one do YOU like the best and which one works the best for YOU?

My previous TT was a 2006 KZ Jag, and that unit only had a 1-year warranty.

From a quality/reliability perspective, it was very good during the 7+ years we had it.
2014 Keystone Bullet 281BHS
2002 Chevy Avalanche 5.3L 4x4
Equalizer hitch
Nights spent camping in 2015: 25
Next trip: mid-April 2016?

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
We're on our 2nd KZ and love our '14 Spree.

Both KZ and Jayco have 2 year warranties. Not many manufacturers have that and I think it reflects their quality. Our dealer has been great and there has never been any problems with getting any warranty issues dealt with, big or small. It's my belief that having a 2 year warranty is a great thing to have.

If there is anything better about the Jayco vs KZ, I would say it's the BAL Ultraframe and having a non-Lippert frame is a bonus IMO.

GordonC50
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased a KZ Sportsmen Classic. It is a 21 foot and is a quality build. KZ's are affordable and built well IMHO. This is our first TT. We bought from a good dealer and spoke highly of KZ and had several (really nice) newer models on the floor. A good portion of the builders are Amish and are very attentive to quality.

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
x3. We're on our second Rockwood and very pleased with both. My cousin and DH had a KZ for about 7 or 8 years and no issues other than keeping the rear slide wire brushed and repainted frequently due to beach camping....not manufacturer problem.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
atreis wrote:
I'd go with the one that has the floorplan and other features you want most. All three companies are reputable and have the same range of quality.
I agree, get what you want.

johnnyrv
Explorer
Explorer
Jayco