cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Correct tire size for driving truck camper on the beach

Tcnewbie
Explorer
Explorer
Looking to purchase a Dodge Ram 2500 truck. The size of these tires that are on the truck are 245/70SR17.0E
Will that be sufficient for hauling a truck camper on the beach? Thanks
27 REPLIES 27

mellow
Explorer
Explorer
Im on the beach all summer with my TC, so much so I had to upgrade my tire stems to metal since I was blowing out the stock rubber ones from so much use from airing up and down. Anyway stock tires aired down to around 25-30lbs will do fine as long as your 4wd low is working correctly. As skip mentioned do a search for Assateague on here and you will see some other threads on this.
2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
Skip,
Right on, man! I've seen a lot of rigs on the beach that I considered not to have a chance, but with the right driver, not so much weight, and the right floatation almost.....anything is possible. Baja, 1975, near San Felipe, some Mexicans in a 1950 Chevy pickup with a broken distributor cap. This was the one thing we could not help them with. The fact that they got this overloaded 2WD truck through sand and rocks is a testament to their technique.

With varying textures, tire pressure on beaches like this one south of San Felipe are a challenge: We actually turned around and found another way around this spit:

jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

skipbee
Explorer
Explorer
Dear Jefe and all,

We have been strolling and rolling the beaches for many, many years. In the 1960's we fitted an ex-military jeep with a TC like box and drove from Virginia Beach to Sand Bridge, VA, many times. When Assateague Island, Maryland was first purchased by the US Park Service a bridge was built and we were able to access the 40 mile long island. We aired down the tires of our standard VW Campmobile and traveled to and fro. There was, in the beginning, no supervision, and many vehicles were stuck at waters edge and lost to the sea. But as the Park Service moved in, out of chaos came order, and between USPS and our fishing club, the elegant Assateague Mobil Sportsfishing Association, techniques and rules developed allowing safe and joyous travel over the sand.

In 1970 on trip for sun and surfing at Matachen Bay by San Blas, Mexico. We were camped on the beach in our VW camper, far from the town, when we spied a strange beach goer. It was a new shining Mercedes Benz Limo with 3 long board surf boards tied to the roof by ropes strung thru the open windows. The driver stopped, got out asked about the surf conditions, and then introduced himself as Stephen Stills (Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young) He was aired down, 2 wheelin it nicely. After a chat he was off smoothly over the semi soft sand.
Experience trumps opinion again!
skipbee
2004 F350 Diesel CC SRW 19.5" Rickson W/T 4WD
2005 Lance 1121 well found.
See us on YouTube" Living the Lance Life" 3 of 4. Google skip bosley for TR's: Alaska, Assateague Island, Disney World & Fla Keys and a California Coastal jaunt.

Tom_Anderson
Explorer
Explorer
ticki2 wrote:
Tom_Anderson wrote:

85>65, so you're good.

Are you looking at the DRW chart ? Seems to me it it saying 245 min. up front

No, sorry. I wasn't. I was looking at the SRW chart. I agree, the DRW chart seems to require at least a 245.

I've never seen a beach with such strict requirements. The only one I've driven on with any regularity (Pismo Beach in California) has no tire size requirements at all. You could have 10-speed bicycle tires on your truck and they don't care. If you get stuck, it's your problem.

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
Tom_Anderson wrote:

85>65, so you're good.

Are you looking at the DRW chart ? Seems to me it it saying 245 min. up front
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

burningman
Explorer II
Explorer II
bcbouy wrote:
can you explain 90 mile beach highway in new zealand for us?

That reminds me... NASCAR racing used to take place on a stretch of the actual beach at Daytona.
It's all about technique. You can get stuck riding a quad on the Oregon sand dunes if you don't do it right - or you can appear to cruise effortlessly.
In our soft sand, gas trucks are favored because they aren't so nose-heavy.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

tattoobob
Explorer
Explorer
ticki2 wrote:
tattoobob wrote:
Here is a link to one of the beaches I drive on, it gives you tire information and also make sure you have a full size spare tire

I hope this info helps

Cape Cod National Seashore

My understanding is they have just recently allowed DRW . Looking at the tire chart I was totally confused . I called their office to ask if my 235/85/16 tires would qualify . I was told that they would . From what I can glen from the chart they would not . Do you have any first hand info on this ? I would like to plan a trip for next season . Thanks

I don't have an answer for you, But if you talked to someone and they okayed it you should be good to go. I would get the rangers name who told you that tho
2005 Ford F350 SRW 4x4

2000 Lance 1010

Tom_Anderson
Explorer
Explorer
ticki2 wrote:
tattoobob wrote:
Here is a link to one of the beaches I drive on, it gives you tire information and also make sure you have a full size spare tire

I hope this info helps

My understanding is they have just recently allowed DRW . Looking at the tire chart I was totally confused . I called their office to ask if my 235/85/16 tires would qualify . I was told that they would . From what I can glen from the chart they would not . Do you have any first hand info on this ? I would like to plan a trip for next season . Thanks

85>65, so you're good.

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
tattoobob wrote:

I hope this info helps

'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

bcbouy
Explorer
Explorer
can you explain 90 mile beach highway in new zealand for us?
2012 ram 2500 hemi crew cab sb 4x4 2015 northstar 850 sc 14.5 g3 guide custom fly fishing boat

tattoobob
Explorer
Explorer

I hope this info helps

2005 Ford F350 SRW 4x4

2000 Lance 1010

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
nycsteve wrote:
Sam Spade wrote:
If the question is just any old beach that you might encounter, the answer is:
Don't do it.

You didn't advise "to be careful" you said "the answer is don't do it"

You have quoted me out of context and it changes the meaning of what I really did say.

One should not just blindly run out on any patch of sand that you encounter. Especially if there is not obvious evidence of vehicles being there previously.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

nycsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Sam Spade wrote:
nycsteve wrote:
Sam Spade wrote:
If the question is just any old beach that you might encounter, the answer is:
Don't do it.

Many beaches won't support even a small car without VERY wide tires. And having a truck camper towed out of the sand is a tricky proposition.

Wrong.

No it is not wrong.....to advise someone to be careful with what they are about to do.

Either you are a more skilled driver than most or are just lucky.

I have SEEN cars, trucks and RVs stuck in soft sand (both on a "beach" and off) and it isn't a pretty picture.

Just because you can do it doesn't mean that everybody can.

Being careful is never a bad thing and is never "wrong".

You didn't advise "to be careful" you said "the answer is don't do it"
Just because you have seen people stuck doesn't discount the thousands that drive beaches successfully. I've seen dozens of people disabled with flats on the side of interstate highways, conclusion, stay off interstates.
People stuck on the beach have usually made an error causing them to be stuck. I was in Corrolla in NC watching a guy in a Mercedes car buried to the floorboards . No 4x4 , no airing down, what do you expect? Darwins law in action.

niftypkg
Explorer
Explorer
Funny story. Parked next to Laguna Madrid bay on Padre Island,Tx with a Conversion Van pulling a pop up trailer. That bay is very placid. Tide came in and found next morning that I was now IN the bay!!! Looked for tire tracks that one could see above the flooded area and followed them out. Stock tires; stock brain. Today that parking area is off limits. Miss the fun!