cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Covering AC Unit? When to and When NOT To?

D_and_A_plus_6
Explorer
Explorer
Planning to get an AC Cover for my AC Unit on my TT. The idea was to help keeping it cleaner during storage and when not in use. I know and realize it's off when in use. Can or should you keep it covered while traveling down the road?
11 REPLIES 11

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
Trackrig wrote:
My A/Cs have never been covered since it was bought in 2005. When I pull the plastic covers off once a year to inspect them, nothing really looks dirty.

Same here.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
If you are going to do that I suggest covering the entire top of the RV to save the A/C AND the roof. We use a Sunshield tarp. Not for covering while underway.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
Just like not covering a motorcycle OR car on a OPEN trailer..

the buffeting of the wind will damage cover. and also damage coating of AC unit.

the buffeting will remove chrome and paint... FYI,,,

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't looked at one lately but I thought that all the openings on my shroud opened to the rear? I put one on the first month I had a rv, never since. only in storage however.
bumpy

Community Alumni
Not applicable
As mentioned, you should not keep it covered while traveling. There's a nice new cover somewhere along I87 in upstate NY that used to be on my neighbor's trailer. :B

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
MFL wrote:
I cover mine in late Fall to keep the leaves out. It also keeps the tree junk out, from buds, in early Spring.

No, I would not leave cover on, going down the road.

Jerry

This is a good idea. A friend of mine had his plug up with cottonwood blooms. He didn't realize it. First time he used it, something electrical overheated because of restricted air flow.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

D_and_A_plus_6
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for info, won't leave on when traveling. Winter storage is in a Morton Shed, and gets a little dusty over the winter. Just try to protect the investment. So I'll just plan on covering it in storage and not in use.

Thanks again

AmericalVette
Explorer
Explorer
In peak travel season I see many things on the side or in the road. Coolers, minnow buckets, various types of clothing, and yes an occasional RV AC cover. No sir, I would not leave the cover on while traveling.
Times fun when you're having flies!

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not designed to be in place while rig is in motion traveling down the road.

At best it will just get torn....at worst it will get torn OFF and land on windshield of vehicle behind you

Cover when in storage....remove when getting ready to go

Never have covered any of mine cause RVs are at house, plugged in ready to go OR be used as Man Cave
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I cover mine in late Fall to keep the leaves out. It also keeps the tree junk out, from buds, in early Spring.

No, I would not leave cover on, going down the road.

Jerry

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
My A/Cs have never been covered since it was bought in 2005. When I pull the plastic covers off once a year to inspect them, nothing really looks dirty.

Some people run their A/Cs (with the generator going) while they're going down the road in hot weather if they don't have good dash air. I wouldn't cover them while going down the road.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.