cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Danger's of old tires

tony_l1
Explorer
Explorer
I know for the most part I'm preacher to the choir here but this is what happened to my spare tire due to age. I put off replacing it because; 1) It was a spare. 2) It's been covered and did not show any signs of dry rot or cracking. 3) It never touched the road. Went to check the pressure last week and this is what I found. I checked it 3 weeks ago before my last trip and it was fine. Had I needed it last trip I'm sure it would have blown out within a few miles. This one is a Marathon but age is the reason this happened not the brand. I did a google search and found this isn't totally uncommon even with LT tires. Newbies if you're reading this and contemplating replacing that old spare tire to save a few bucks, don't, it's not worth the aggravation or you're safety.

click to enlarge
17 REPLIES 17

Seamutt
Explorer
Explorer
To me that tire looks as if it had been damaged somehow. Crushed maybe looking at the indentation all across the tread. The rust could have formed after the damage.

JJBIRISH
Explorer
Explorer
I donโ€™t know if age caused it but I would guess that the final damage was a long time in the making, with what appears to be separation across the tread and in the sidewall, in addition to the rusty or discolored cordingโ€ฆ
Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

Umaxman
Explorer
Explorer
I also don't believe that is from the age.
Only 30 years in the tire industry for me ๐Ÿ™‚

CapriRacer
Explorer II
Explorer II
tony_l wrote:
I know for the most part I'm preacher to the choir here but this is what happened to my spare tire due to age. I put off replacing it because; 1) It was a spare. 2) It's been covered and did not show any signs of dry rot or cracking. 3) It never touched the road. Went to check the pressure last week and this is what I found. I checked it 3 weeks ago before my last trip and it was fine. Had I needed it last trip I'm sure it would have blown out within a few miles. This one is a Marathon but age is the reason this happened not the brand. I did a google search and found this isn't totally uncommon even with LT tires. Newbies if you're reading this and contemplating replacing that old spare tire to save a few bucks, don't, it's not worth the aggravation or you're safety.

click to enlarge

parkmanaa wrote:
I do not believe this blowout was caused by age of the tire.
I believe it was a manufacturing defect(undercure). Have seen
this a few times in my long tire-industry career, but don't
remember one that lasted what, 8, 9, 10 years? A covered spare
is good indefinitely.

IMHO age, to a great degree just a marketing gimmick, has been made a scapegoat for many, many other problems with tires over the last few years.

I would take it to a qualified tire dealer and have them give me
their opinion.

40 years in the tire industry; saw it all and done most of it.

I also don't think this is age related, but I don't think it was "undercure". It's in the wrong location for undercure and my experience is that undercure causes pieces of the tread to chunk off and not involve the belt.

I notice that the photo shows rust on the steel wires. I think that is a red herring because these wires will rust when exposed to air - even more rapidly if water is also involved (like rain).

I also notice the distortion of the tire. This is classic "Loss of adhesion" of the steel belts - which may of may not be related to the rust.

I find this whole thing interesting as part of this overall discussion of ST failures, but I don't think this is related - as the mode of failure is different.

CapriRacer

Visit my web site: www.BarrysTireTech.com

SprinklerMan
Explorer
Explorer
krobbe wrote:
SprinklerMan wrote:
I carry 2 spares , because with my luck , I would have a second flat tire 2 miles down the road and have nothing to replace it .

Yah, but what about the 3rd flat 4 miles down the road?

Thats when i call it quits and call road service

JJBIRISH
Explorer
Explorer
parkmanaa wrote:
is good indefinitely.

IMHO age, to a great degree just a marketing gimmick, has been made a scapegoat for many, many other problems with tires over the last few years.

their opinion.

I do agree that to some degree the aging theory is a marketing gimmick, or is being made into one as a means of profiteeringโ€ฆ few will buy this though, here anywayโ€ฆ

Itโ€™s true that ageing has always been a factor, as it is today, what has or is changing is that the ageing time is getting shorter without much reasonable explanation for itโ€ฆ

Through the years tires got better and better and tread wear mileage got higher and higherโ€ฆ meaning tires were on the road longer before wearing outโ€ฆ so as mileage went from 20 to 30 to 40 to 60 and 80 thousand miles and more, they take many more years to wear outโ€ฆ this leaving aging and failing carcasses still in use a big problem for usโ€ฆ

so new marketing gurus says you should now replace you tires at 5 or 6 years even if they look goodโ€ฆ

This is good marketing for selling tiresโ€ฆ but first you would have forget (they have) or believe for all those years that the tire mileage went from 20 to 80 thousand miles that tread rubber compounding is the only thing they were doing in R&D depts., all of them โ€ฆ all other compounding, cording, new products and processes were static and frozen in time and no one considered the fact that better tread worked in combination with or needed other better developments in the tire and in the industryโ€ฆ

Itโ€™s funny they used to retread 7 year old passenger tires, many tires are retreaded many times over even todayโ€ฆ why is it that these carcasses arenโ€™t aging out and taken out of serviceโ€ฆ

My own personal experience is that tires have lasted 10 years often and sometimes much longer and I mean all types of tiresโ€ฆ

As the acceptance for the new aging theory grows, and it is, so will cheaper made reversed engineered tiresโ€ฆ and the only losers are as usual are the end usersโ€ฆ who will pay more tomorrow for a 40,000 mile tire than a 60,000 mile tire does todayโ€ฆ why because in the end, you will be forced to take them out of service and replace them by calendar criteria onlyโ€ฆ

Chipped tires that report themselves in use beyond the expiration dateโ€ฆ anybody ๐Ÿ™‚
Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

krobbe
Explorer
Explorer
SprinklerMan wrote:
I carry 2 spares , because with my luck , I would have a second flat tire 2 miles down the road and have nothing to replace it .

Yah, but what about the 3rd flat 4 miles down the road?
Me'62, DW'67, DS'04, DD'07
'03 Chevy Suburban 2500LT 4WD Vortec8.1L 4L85-E 3.73 CurtClassV
'09 BulletPremier295BHS 33'4" 7200#Loaded 1100#Tongue Equal-i-zerHitch Tires:Kumho857
Pics

parkmanaa
Explorer
Explorer
is good indefinitely.

their opinion.

SprinklerMan
Explorer
Explorer

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have Maxxis tires as my main four tires. I have a tow-master spare. I needed a spare and could not wait for a Maxxis to come in.

I strongly encourage 5 replacement tires instead of 4 when its time to replace tires for everyone. With ST tires history 6 would not be a bad idea. LOL

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

spike99
Explorer
Explorer

Good clip about tire age at - Click Here -

For me, I don't use trailer tires older than 6 years. For vehicles, I use 5 year mark.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
In the clicky I see a pic of a ST tire that look like its never been on the ground with a hole blowed in the tread.

Its not a rare occurrence in the trailering world.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

tunatundra
Explorer
Explorer
How old was the tire???
Rusty & Lana
2017 Cougar 333MKS
2016 F250 Diesel

tony_l1
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
What is the manufacture date on the old tires?

I think it was 2004 or 2005. Yes I was stupid for letting it go that long. I really didn't know any better, now I do.