cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dark differential lube

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
Being the good owner that I am---I took the Ram to a shop for its oil change. I've had LOF done there before with no issues.
This time, they said that the rear differential gear oil was "dark," and that the brake fluid needed changing. The truck has just over 26,000 miles, and about half of that was towing a trailer or fifth wheel.
I'm not a mechanic, but I've never had to do either of these things. In fact, I don't recall anyone I know changing these fluids except when disassembling their vehicle. Has this shop turned into a "stealership?"
Your thoughts please.
52 REPLIES 52

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
larry barnhart wrote:
I have changed our rear end fluid 10 times. Very easy job.

chevman

In the same truck?
This is akin to the guy above who “excercises” every caliper piston throughout its travel range annually!
You all need new hobbies! Come to my house, I have some maintenance that actually needs to be done....
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Bedlam
Just to muddy this further: Remember that GM and Ram both use the AAM rear axle in their pickups.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Dave_H_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
So now I am wondering if you could put some of that stuff in the Ram diffy's that Ford and GM does aand then not have to change it every time you drive down to the grocery store. It puzzles me.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Glacier D wrote:
My 2011 Ram 3500 maintenance schedule for the rear diff. is every 15,000 miles. Had that done at a local garage and added Amsoil 75-110 Severe Gear Lube and Magtec differential cover with sight glass from Geno's Garage. Problem solved!

Good call!

The 15k is if towing/severe duty service. I mis read mine I looked at the 24k kilometers. At 20k towing combined 33k when taking off from a stop I experienced grabbing when turning. That was at 20k. I drained and had fluid analyzed it was completely shot!!! at about 24k.

Since that first change I run AMZ/OIL 75-110. I just change it at 15k along with my transfer case, fuel filters, air filter and oil/filter. Could I run it longer, YES but it's cheap and easy do do all my maintenance at one time.

Bottom line the quality of the OE lube is NOT very good.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
I always change my differential oil early, to get the filings out after the gears wear in, and change the brake fluid about every 3 to 5 years based on mileage.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Nice to see most commenters have NO clue as to the frequency the GL needs to be changed on a RAM HD truck.

The Op actually went over the recommended interval.

You are correct, recommended at 20K. Ram must have no faith in their differentials or the fluid they spec LOL. Ford does not recommend changing either the front or rear until 150K miles, and GM does not even mention changing it in their schedules.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
36guy wrote:
I'm an old guy, been building hot rods forty years, been towing with a ton of variety of tow vehicles, I have NEVER changed brake fluid. Yes it is hygroscopic, but needs an entry point to introduce air, considering brake systems are sealed so the oil (fluid) can't get out, how does air or water get in?
Yes, you should change the oil in the tranny annd diffs, but thats just good maintenance.

The OCD people who change their fluid are probably introducing water when the take the brake reservoir cap off every week to check it. 😉

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Nice to see most commenters have NO clue as to the frequency the GL needs to be changed on a RAM HD truck.

Is there a color chart to describe the interval?

36guy
Explorer
Explorer
I'm an old guy, been building hot rods forty years, been towing with a ton of variety of tow vehicles, I have NEVER changed brake fluid. Yes it is hygroscopic, but needs an entry point to introduce air, considering brake systems are sealed so the oil (fluid) can't get out, how does air or water get in?
Yes, you should change the oil in the tranny annd diffs, but thats just good maintenance.

Glacier_D
Explorer II
Explorer II
My 2011 Ram 3500 maintenance schedule for the rear diff. is every 15,000 miles. Had that done at a local garage and added Amsoil 75-110 Severe Gear Lube and Magtec differential cover with sight glass from Geno's Garage. Problem solved!
2011 Dodge Ram 3500 4X4 Crew Cab/LB, Rancho RS9000XL, Stable Loads, Superhitch and FastGuns. 2009 Eagle Cap 1050, Hickory interior with on-board generator, A/C and Honda EU2000

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
I have changed our rear end fluid 10 times. Very easy job.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

This is correct; I was surprised how dark the rear diff fluid was in mine when I changed it around 24k kms as per the manual. I was also surprised to see how much moisture there was in the front diff from condensation at the same mileage.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Lmao.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
azrving wrote:
2014 Ram 2500 3500 towing change axle oil every 20,000. I don't do the front that often because I don't tow in four wheel drive. The first diff change is the most important and should be done regardless of towing frequency. It removes any initial breakin particles. Axle lube changes after the first one will probably look lighter in color compared to the first.

Brake fluid is hygroscopic, I'll change mine at 5 yr/ 80,000. I also push the pistons in one at a time and then out each year.

Anti lock brake systems can be difficult to bleed so don't introduce air.

Power steering fluid at 97,500

My only comment is, you may be spinning your front pig whether you are in 4wd or not, depending on the setup and if you have free wheeling hubs. I have Mile Master lockouts so my front pig isn't turning unless I lock my hubs in.

It has electronic disconnect/split coupler axle. When running in two wheel drive the rear is doing all the work. In two wheel drive the spider gears are the only thing moving up front. They are solid to the left front hub/axle.