cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dash Command App....worth the money!

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've been wanting an OBDII tool for quite a while. Something like the Scanguage or the Edge Insite. I have had some reservations about Scanguage but those were mostly cosmetic/aesthetics related. I like to look at a gauge. Edge would be perfect but it's pricy!!

Fellow forum member Dodge Guy mentioned that he uses his iPhone and a little dongle that interfaces with the vehicle and and an app that interfaces with the dongle. I started doing some research and found that for about $37.00 I could have a fully customizable OBD II reader and have gauges for my vehicles that I otherwise do not have.

So I downloaded the app and the custom PID's for my Town Car...I went to ebay and bought the V-Link wifi dongle for about $17.00

So... How does it perform? In a single word...spectacularly. There is a learning curve to figure out how to customize the gauges but it wasn't difficult. I initially had reservations about using my iPhone due to the screen size but you can increase the size of the gauges and move them around so you can see them effectively.

I also used my IPad Mini with great success.

Having a Tachometer and Transmission Temp along with a few other goodies is very nice. Especially since I will be pulling a pup with my Town Car in the future. Having the Transmission temp and Tach is great!

So if you are needing an OBD II reader/gauge set I recommend taking a hard look at the affordable Dash Command app and the OBD II dongle. By far, it's the cheapest way to go...if you have a mobile device!

FYI. For iOS You will need a wifi dongle. For Android you can use the Bluetooth Version. For some reason iOS doesn't work with the Bluetooth version.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~
17 REPLIES 17

dean_and_monica
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for the info been looking for something like this
New TV: 2007 Dodge Mega Cab 2500 5.9L Diesel
New Rig: 2011 Rockwood Signiture Ultra Lite 8313SS
Old TV2002 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71
Old Rig: 2008 Roo 23SS ---- Destroyed by Mother Nature

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here is a quick screen shot of my gauge set that I set up for my Town Car.

What's nice is that my iPhone sits right in this perfect cut out in front of the speedometer. I can see my speed and these other gauges with nearly perfect integration as one dash board.

works great!

Thanks

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH

~Walt Disney~

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
powderman426 wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
Glad it`s working out for you. I too was worried about the size of the gauges with my I phone, but it turned out to be perfect. the only issue I ran into was my phone would lock up once in a while. but that is an issue with the phone and not the app. still using an Iphone4 and there is an update that needs to be done that I don`t have room for. I`m very happy with what it does for the price.

If the size is a problem, you can always use a 7" or 10" tablet as long as it has bluetooth.

I agree. much better with a tablet of some kind, but the Iphone works fine. I also forgot to mention that my Pioneer stereo has a 7" touch screen with a feature called app radio. the radio allows some apps to be used/seen on the touch screen, just like you would an Ipod/Iphone. so I can have the gauges set to be seen on the radio! nice feature.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

powderman426
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
Glad it`s working out for you. I too was worried about the size of the gauges with my I phone, but it turned out to be perfect. the only issue I ran into was my phone would lock up once in a while. but that is an issue with the phone and not the app. still using an Iphone4 and there is an update that needs to be done that I don`t have room for. I`m very happy with what it does for the price.

If the size is a problem, you can always use a 7" or 10" tablet as long as it has bluetooth.
Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
32' Gulfstream Ameri-Camp & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work

msjdbman
Explorer
Explorer
I got the Dash Command and Elm 327 wifi dongle a few weeks ago. I have it on my i-phone 5 and also on my i-pad air. Both loaded perfectly, and the slight use I've tested it with seems excellent. Truck hasn't been out of my shop yet, so still testing is all that I have done.
2008 Duramax/Allison LT2 Crew cab Standard Box. Hellwig Air Assist. BD Diesel VVT Turbo Brake. 2003 Coachmen Chaparral 295 IKS

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Stefonius
Explorer
Explorer
jerem0621 wrote:
Stefonius wrote:
My understanding is that this program does not work on a 7.3 liter diesel.

I just entered a 2000 F250 7.3 PSD into the app and the perimeters are all there. I don't see why it wouldn't work
It wasn't working on my 2003 F450 7.3 PSD. The developers told me that they had no solution and that the engine was not supported. Maybe something has changed in the last two years.
2003 F450 Crew Cab, 7.3 PSD "Truckasaurus"
2010 Coachmen North Ridge 322RLT fiver "Habitat for Insanity"
I love my tent, but the DW said, "RV or Divorce"...

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Stefonius wrote:

I just entered a 2000 F250 7.3 PSD into the app and the perimeters are all there. I don't see why it wouldn't work
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH

~Walt Disney~

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Swmpbgy1 wrote:

Jeremiah:

I've been toying with this idea for my Excursion.....specifically, which wifi dongle did you go with? can you post the ebay link?

Swmpbgy1

Sure thing! The dongle is an ELM327 Wifi dongle. Here is the link to the one I bought.

ELM327 wifi

Also, there is an ever so slight delay letting the app catch up.

If I were relying on this for drag racing is would not work. But for towing and normal driving the delay is a non issue.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH

~Walt Disney~

Swmpbgy1
Explorer
Explorer
Stefonius wrote:

Which program? Dash Command????

Teamfour
Explorer
Explorer
Just be careful with the ELM dongles. They are hit or miss on quality. They also have a very slow data transfer rate. The dongle to have is the Scanlink: http://www.scantool.net/obdlink-lx.html

I used one for quite a while with TorquePro for Android without any issues. I have since upgraded to an Aeroforce Interceptor gauge.
Lee and Anne

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3.73 locker, 3,295 Payload
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 7.8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH

Stefonius
Explorer
Explorer
2003 F450 Crew Cab, 7.3 PSD "Truckasaurus"
2010 Coachmen North Ridge 322RLT fiver "Habitat for Insanity"
I love my tent, but the DW said, "RV or Divorce"...

Swmpbgy1
Explorer
Explorer
jerem0621 wrote:
I've been wanting an OBDII tool for quite a while. Something like the Scanguage or the Edge Insite. I have had some reservations about Scanguage but those were mostly cosmetic/aesthetics related. I like to look at a gauge. Edge would be perfect but it's pricy!!

Fellow forum member Dodge Guy mentioned that he uses his iPhone and a little dongle that interfaces with the vehicle and and an app that interfaces with the dongle. I started doing some research and found that for about $37.00 I could have a fully customizable OBD II reader and have gauges for my vehicles that I otherwise do not have.

So I downloaded the app and the custom PID's for my Town Car...I went to ebay and bought the V-Link wifi dongle for about $17.00

So... How does it perform? In a single word...spectacularly. There is a learning curve to figure out how to customize the gauges but it wasn't difficult. I initially had reservations about using my iPhone due to the screen size but you can increase the size of the gauges and move them around so you can see them effectively.

I also used my IPad Mini with great success.

Having a Tachometer and Transmission Temp along with a few other goodies is very nice. Especially since I will be pulling a pup with my Town Car in the future. Having the Transmission temp and Tach is great!

So if you are needing an OBD II reader/gauge set I recommend taking a hard look at the affordable Dash Command app and the OBD II dongle. By far, it's the cheapest way to go...if you have a mobile device!

FYI. For iOS You will need a wifi dongle. For Android you can use the Bluetooth Version. For some reason iOS doesn't work with the Bluetooth version.

Thanks!

Jeremiah

Jeremiah:

I've been toying with this idea for my Excursion.....specifically, which wifi dongle did you go with? can you post the ebay link?

Swmpbgy1

Mvander
Explorer
Explorer
+1 these apps are fantastic tools. I put sticky back velcro on my samsung and a bit on the dash and presto, instant "whatever" guages i want.
55 FEET OF FAMILY FUN!
2014 F150 HD
2015 Grey Wolf 29DSFB