cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dead battery

Hemling
Explorer
Explorer
Hey guys I know this isn't necessarily an auto diagnosis site, but I just experienced a problem with my Excursion. Last few times starting it it seemed a little slow, after the last time the ABS light came on and a few minutes later I lost dash gauges/lights and it barely limped into the driveway. Got the clicking sound of a dead battery when I tried to restart. I was able to jump it, it fired right up and I parked it, about 10 seconds of running it started sputtering and it died. Seems like a pretty open and shut battery, but why the ABS light and it seemed to run really rich when it was dying (kind of like my old race-set up carved big block does all the time). Is there something else I should be investigating?
11 REPLIES 11

_40Fan
Explorer
Explorer
Had an '06 F250 with a 5.4 in today. No dash warnings, but the same story as the OP. Bad alternator in this case.
2013 Arctic Fox 22GQ
2011 Ram 2500 CC LB CTD G56 3.42 Mineral Gray

Hemling
Explorer
Explorer
I've got a 2002. it has a tach. it does not have a volt/amp gauge though. Maybe that's what it's for. In fact, during the time when my alternator wasn't functioning at all and my battery was slowly dying, no on board light, gauge or diagnostic at all decided that was useful information that I might want.

Cameo_Phil
Explorer
Explorer
3rd wire may be for the RPM gage if you have one.
2002 Carriage Cameo F35CKB
2005 Chevy 3500 LT, CCLB 6.6L Diesel 4X4

K-9_HANDLER
Explorer
Explorer
Your replacement may come with three and you can use the part. But you only need to use two wires. What year is your ex?
Camping near home at Assateague National Seashore with our wild four legged friends

Hemling
Explorer
Explorer
The alternator connector has 3 pins but only 2 wires going to it. Should I get a replacement with 2 or 3 wires? What's the 3rd wire for?

Hemling
Explorer
Explorer
update - the three wire connector on the back of the alternator was broken. Hope I can get a new pigtail but at least not an alternator and/or battery.

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
2003silverado wrote:
My guess is a bad alternator.
I agree.
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
All things have an operating range...temp...RPM...altitude...humidity...etc

Electrical/electronic also has an operating range. There is a min voltage to a maximum voltage. Also there is a specification on other aspects of the voltage/current...more so for signal level for computers. Things like voltage spikes that in the pre-computers would not have been an issue...

So, the dead battery may be a victim of the real cause, which IMHO, suspect the alternator...but that could also be the voltage regulator(s) too

Be careful of just changing out parts...and...running the new part for a while...the culprit could still be there...to take down the new part(s)...chasing the tail so to speak...

Your comment of ABS and injector funniness is indicative of this. Both the cause and the possibility of it taking out other components and/or systems
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

Hemling
Explorer
Explorer
it does sound like the charging system is suspect, I'll be checking both out tomorrow. I'm just confused that no warning lights came on during this time. Both battery and alternator are less than 6 months old, so we'll see.

2003silverado
Explorer II
Explorer II
My guess is a bad alternator.

K-9_HANDLER
Explorer
Explorer
ABS can come on with bad battery. It will usually reset on its own after new battery is installed with in a few miles. Id get both the battery and alternator tested.
Camping near home at Assateague National Seashore with our wild four legged friends