cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dead jack motor

WAM
Explorer
Explorer
These Atwood camper jacks must be 9 years old now. One refused to budge today and using the manual crank was nearly impossible. I removed the motor off the head and the jack screw now works fine, so I can ratchet it up/down. But that means my motor is seized. And to confirm, I disconnected the wires and get plus/minus 12V when I hit the remote.

Do you suppose retrofit motors are available? Couldn't find any with Google. It's Sunday, so I can't call Atwood. Anyone had any experience replacing or even repairing those motors? Maybe know of a service outfit I can send it to? I need the plastic cover too. Mine got broken by a trailer and my local RV parts house tried but never was able to get one. Probably unrelated to the motor problem though as there were no scuff marks or scratches indicating the motor had ever been hit. And I had it taped up to keep out the weather.
2012 Ford F350/SD 4x4
Alpenlite 9.5 Cheyenne slide-in
12 REPLIES 12

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
Glad to read you are back on the road, and having a spare can't hurt.

WAM
Explorer
Explorer
Okay, topic wrap up. The replacement motor worked fine. And then I tore down the seized motor and it was just a rust issue. After cleaning, it's a good spare.
2012 Ford F350/SD 4x4

WAM
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah but the motor's seized, not necessarily dead. Don't know the condition of the windings. Actually don't know anything until I take it apart.
2012 Ford F350/SD 4x4

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
I can't imagine that having a motor re-wound would be cheaper than buying a new one. Not many people do that work anymore to begin with, and they charge an exorbitant hourly rate when they do.

Just a couple of weeks ago I got my 10KW tractor-powered generator back from the electric shop. Bad windings. It was going to cost more than a new one to have it re-wound. It's scrap.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

WAM
Explorer
Explorer
Good info. The motor is actually marked 75721 but Atwood told me the number had been superseded by 75625. And the cover is available as 87663.

I think I'll just buy a new motor and tear mine down for repair as a spare. Or if anyone can recommend an electric motor shop known to have experience with these, please fwd.

thanks all.

edit -- done. Both ordered off EBAY.
2012 Ford F350/SD 4x4

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
Yes I believe the motor #75625, actually reffered to as "short leg motor" is the one your looking for. I would still verify. Refurb would be nice
http://www.atwoodmobile.com/images/leveling.pdf

Avg price Im seeing new is $200http://www.panther-rvproducts.com/Atwood-75625-Power-Motor-Head-Electric-Jacks-75625.htm

installhttp://www.atwoodmobile.com/manuals/chassis/85351.pdf
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

BTPO1
Explorer
Explorer
You should be able to get it rebuilt at an electric motor rewind shop. It would be cheaper than a new motor. I had a 12V trim motor repaired for my boat a few years ago and was several hundred dollars cheaper than a new one. JMO
Jack
2003 Rexhall Vision 27'
2019 Chevrolet Equinox
States we have been to with this MH

Butch50
Explorer
Explorer
WAM wrote:
SAR Tracker wrote:
Like this one?

Looks to be close, but not quite. The new one has legs at the four corners. Look to be what, 1/2" long maybe? Mine just has little 1/8" stubs in those corners. The outputs look similar.

Worse come to worse, I might be able to cut down the legs to make it fit if everything else lines up.

That one is for 5th wheel landing gear. The front jacks on a 5er.
Butch

I try to always leave doubt to my ignorance rather than prove it

2021 Winnebago View

WAM
Explorer
Explorer
SAR Tracker wrote:
Like this one?

Looks to be close, but not quite. The new one has legs at the four corners. Look to be what, 1/2" long maybe? Mine just has little 1/8" stubs in those corners. The outputs look similar.

Worse come to worse, I might be able to cut down the legs to make it fit if everything else lines up.
2012 Ford F350/SD 4x4

Joe417
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not familiar with Atwood electric jacks but I would suspect that the power head SAR Tracker linked in is for a 5th wheel.

I'm currently getting 2 HappiJac's re-built at a reasonable price, $60 each.

Check with Atwood tomorrow, they may have a re-build process that's as reasonable.
Joe and Evelyn

arto_wa
Explorer
Explorer
SAR Tracker wrote:
Like this one?

Wow at $299.95 each - I hope you can find someone to fix the old motor!
99 F350 4x4 CC DRW 7.3L PSD, 97 Bigfoot 2500 10.6
(11,900#)

89 Duckworth 17' Pro 302

SAR_Tracker
Explorer
Explorer
Like this one?
Rusty & Cheryl
2011 F250 2WD 6.2L Gasser
2008 Weekend Warrior FB2100
"Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education" - Victor Hugo (1802-1885)