cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diesel life span

NEnative
Explorer
Explorer
I am thinking of purchasing a one ton deisel dually. Currently I have a 250 gasser. Can any of you senior members that have been towing for years with a deisel tell me how many miles I can expect out of a deisel if follow factory maintenance schedule. Not asking any particular brand, just the engine expectancy. Trying to justify the cost!
62 REPLIES 62

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
wanderingbob wrote:
My brother just traded in his 03 Ford with 700 miles short of one million miles ! He should have went that seven hundred miles !He said he put in 4 inject pumps in 13 years !

No doubt a 7.3.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
My brother just traded in his 03 Ford with 700 miles short of one million miles ! He should have went that seven hundred miles !He said he put in 4 inject pumps in 13 years !

Flashman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
It's also not common to see 400kmi 6 banger Exploders running around, but I bet just within the confines of this little farm town I'm sitting in right now there are a couple dozen 300kmi plus Cummins running around and a few old PStrokes and Dmaxes too.

Yeah my Exploder made it to 36,326 miles - then Ford told me too late!

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
It's also not common to see 400kmi 6 banger Exploders running around, but I bet just within the confines of this little farm town I'm sitting in right now there are a couple dozen 300kmi plus Cummins running around and a few old PStrokes and Dmaxes too.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
mich800 wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Fordlover wrote:
My uncle's 2002 explorer with a gas V6 is is nearing 400K miles, so I'd hope a diesel can go at least that many miles.

Your uncle should buy a lottery ticket! Thank god he doesn't have a Durango or trailblazer with that many miles, you probably couldn't post it......
All I can say to anyone is go search used truck adds and see how many 2-300kmi diesel pickups are for sale vs 2-300kmi gassers.

There is absolutely no shortage of gas trucks for sale with more than 200k miles. You will be scrolling for days. If you cannot find a gas truck for sale in decent condition with more than 200k mile you are not trying too hard.

Didn't say gassers can't last 2-300kmi. Seen many and had a couple myself over 200k. Had a 90 GMC z71, 350 engine. Sold it at about 175k mi in great shape. Saw it a couple years later, had 225kmi and a gn hitch with a decent size horse trailer behind. Still orig engine and 5speed trans.
Also don't doubt that a guy can/will spend as much as replacing an entire gasser long block to keep a newer diesel running past say 250k. Injectors, injection pumps and turbos can get spendy.
Just saying apples for apples, the internals of a stock well maintained diesel will outlast a gasser apples to apples useage.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

transferred
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats! Pics please. The 6.7 PSD is the best diesel Ford have made, though I'm not gonna lie the quietness freaks me out a little 🙂
05 Ram 3500 SRW QCSB Laramie 4x4 Cummins, 610lbs, 23k GC, 9.9k GV
(totaled) 16 Ram 3500 SRW RCLB SLT 4X4 Cummins Aisin, 900lbs, 25.3k GC, 11.5k GV
06 F550 4x4 PSD, 570lbs, 33k GC, 19.5k GV

FishOnOne
Nomad
Nomad
NEnative wrote:
Well I'm gonna enjoy what I'm driving. OP here. We decided on the diesel. Bought a 6.7 XLT last night. Good deal, good trade in. We'll be set for some time!

Good choice on the diesel...
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

NEnative
Explorer
Explorer
You all know what I meant....fat fingers and texting can create some awkward posts!

NEnative
Explorer
Explorer
Forgot to mention, ee did ho with the dually.

NEnative
Explorer
Explorer
Well I'm gonna enjoy what I'm driving. OP here. We decided on the diesel. Bought a 6.7 XLT last night. Good deal, good trade in. We'll be set for some time!

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
I thought that we already have a diesel vs gas thread going on in the stickys... Regardless of what we all may drive, just drive it and enjoy it... Most countries only dream of what we have... Just saying
A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.

FishOnOne
Nomad
Nomad
rhagfo wrote:
mich800 wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Fordlover wrote:
My uncle's 2002 explorer with a gas V6 is is nearing 400K miles, so I'd hope a diesel can go at least that many miles.

Your uncle should buy a lottery ticket! Thank god he doesn't have a Durango or trailblazer with that many miles, you probably couldn't post it......
All I can say to anyone is go search used truck adds and see how many 2-300kmi diesel pickups are for sale vs 2-300kmi gassers.

There is absolutely no shortage of gas trucks for sale with more than 200k miles. You will be scrolling for days. If you cannot find a gas truck for sale in decent condition with more than 200k mile you are not trying too hard.

Well unless it is the Ram that FishOnOne bought it was just plane Broke when he bought it!!!:B

Can you provide a quote from me to back up your statement? Not sure I understand your point.

I guess I have to remind you like I had to cummins.... The OP is asking about new diesel truck justification that includes a DPF, DEF, EGR and all the latest emissions equipment that provides opportunity for a failure.

Do you realize that some diesel's with 200k miles will be needing a new DPF! And yes the DPF does have a life span and the regen process does take it's toll on the engine as well which are items your diesel engine doesn't have.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
mich800 wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Fordlover wrote:

Yes, but most gas trucks at 200,000 mile are considered used up and will be in need of engine work soon.
Where a diesel with 200,000 miles is considered just broke in.

Well unless it is the Ram that FishOnOne bought it was just plane Broke when he bought it!!!:B
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
Dog Trainer wrote:
DanNJanice wrote:
2003silverado wrote:
I might get flamed here, but in my opinion about the only thing in the auto industry that has become less reliable in the last 10-15 years is the Diesel engines in light trucks. Diesels are regarded as long lasting mainly because of the logic of long ago, when gassers were junk after 100k miles and diesels were so simplistic, mainly due to the lack of an ignition system. Give it fuel and its gonna run. Diesels today are anything but simplistic with their electronics and 30,000+ psi injection systems. Most of the problems are emissions related.

Since you are getting a dually I imagine you are towing so heavy that a diesel may be necessary. But these days to buy a diesel solely for reliability and longevity is not sound logic, again, in my opinion.

X2
Modern diesels are not the "tractor" engines of yesteryear that ran their whole life at one low RPM speed. These engines are probably more complex that their gas counterparts and you can expect similar lifespan as a gas engine. Having said that, if you need power, you gotta go with a diesel!

That is an interesting observation do you truly believe that todays modern Diesels have the same life expectancy as a gas motor. I for one believe that these diesels will run much longer than that.

Yes, both if cared for properly will outlast the chassis they are in.