cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Diesel prices

Likes_to_tow
Nomad
Nomad
So what's up with the price of diesel fuel? In my area it goes up each day and today I saw $4.45 a gallon. I don't believe I have ever seen it much higher than this!!! It's practically one dollar more per gallon than regular unleaded.
49 REPLIES 49

8_1_Van
Explorer
Explorer

Airstreamer67
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for that lesson in economics, DirtyOil. It's refreshing to hear from someone who actually knows how the world works.

Unfortunately, it seems the education system in the US is woefully inadequate and often slanted. Politicians play on that.

DirtyOil
Explorer
Explorer
seen on tv the congressman asked the oil man why fuel price was so high? oil man stands up and say cause we can set the price where ever we want, and sat down. oil rules the world not the gov.

Oil and gas are bought sold on the market.. futures, the producer "oilman" says he has 300,000bbls of oil for March delivery, market says he'll buy that 300,00 for $95 USD/bbl. Price of oil goes up March 3rd to $115/bbl, good for the futures guy not so for the oilman cause he already sold his oil for $95/bbl. As a oil/gas producer I have to set my nominations(amount of oil/gas I will produce and put into the system) before the last day of each month for the following month. If I come up short I have to buy the short from someone and most likely at a higher price to make up, if over produce I get penalized or if lucky another producer may require a "top-up" and I can sell my "extra" to him.
You see, there is a lot more to this business then what you see on TV.
2013 RAM 3500 CTD Crew 4x4 Laramie
2014 Sprinter Copper Canyon 269FWRLS

GUTS GLORY RAM

DirtyOil
Explorer
Explorer
What is annoying here is that our province is awash in oil and we pay these high prices! Government taxes and corporate greed are responsible for that!

Not much corporate greed up here, Canadian oil producers get a lot less per bbl of oil, then what they get for WTI or Brent Sea Oil. As the oil produced in Alberta has a higher concentration of sulphur and is heavier (specific gravity) Alberta crude averages about 840kg/m3 where as WTI is much lighter and Brent Sea Oil even lighter. While oil may trade on the stock market $100/bbl. USD, Canadian producers may get $70 USD for the same bbl. Not all Canadian oil producers have their own refinery or fuel outlets. Blame the retailers and Gov. taxes on the price/liter or gallon. The Edmonton refineries are selling at retail a liter of gas at $0.78 Cdn the retailers at the pump are selling that same liter for $1.15 Cdn or more, $0.37 profit/liter!

As for our cousins to the south, allow Alberta to run a pipeline to Texas or the East coast. Number of refineries on the east coast are shut down due to the fact they are forced to buy Brent Sea oil at a ridiculous rate which reduces any profit hence the reason to be shut down. Once the pipeline and North Dakota shale oil starts flowing we will all see the benefits.

GUTS GLORY RAM

DirtyOil
Explorer
Explorer
The article is not totally correct. Off road diesel and home heating oil are exactly the same....come out of the same tanks. The crude used for ON road is different because of the fed demand for lower emissions.

Up here north of the 49th, the Canadian Gov., follows the US EPA guidelines closely and betters it. In 2006 diesel fuel sold and produced for on road use had to be at or less the 15mg/kg or 15ppm, in 2010 off road diesel sold and produced had to be at or less then 15ppm, in 2012 locomotive and marine use diesel had to be at or less then 15ppm. Up here on and off road diesel come from the same tank only difference is the dye added to off road fuel less tax. I can apply to Gov. for tax relief on on-road diesel or gasoline for business purpose or off-road use, but to make things easier I just use dyed/off-road fuel, either way I get a tax break as a business owner.

GUTS GLORY RAM

azchuckmo
Explorer
Explorer
Diesel in the Phoenix area runs from $4.21 to about $3.75 a gallon, one station jumped $.12 in one weeks time.

JamesBr
Explorer
Explorer
On road and off road diesel ULSD is the same exact thing. One is taxed, one is not and dyed.

As for prices, it is interesting to see we are paying so much for Gasoline, Diesel and Propane yet are at the highes US export levels EVER! So while we are paying way more since 2010, the refiners are shipping more then ever in barrels of refined fuel.

http://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/pet_move_exp_dc_NUS-Z00_mbbl_m.htm
2006 Ford F350 6.0
2014 Primetime Sanibel 3600
Enough other vehicles to not bother listing.

Previous RV: 2001 Monaco Knight

spadoctor
Explorer
Explorer
The article is not totally correct. Off road diesel and home heating oil are exactly the same....come out of the same tanks. The crude used for ON road is different because of the fed demand for lower emissions. What makes no sense is home heating oil is now 4.00 a gallon here and ON ROAD diesel is 4.35....when the road fuel has 70 cents tax the heating oil does not. Like it or not the economy will NOT rebound until the government forces prices down. If the fed can mandate what a farmer gets paid for a gallon of milk why not the sale price of fuel????

Likes_to_tow
Nomad
Nomad
I know what you mean about speed!! I find that people run 10 or more miles per hour over the limit and nobody cares. They only clamp down on a section of highway if there are fatalities. Here near Huntington, West Virginia we have a major construction area where it is upgraded from two to three lanes in each direction. It has concrete barriers on each side and no shoulder area for about 3 miles. The posted speed limit is 50 with NO LANE CHANGES. Since this construction has been in progress for over a year with about a year to go, motorist and commercial 18 wheelers are now running 65/70 + in this section with constant lane changes. Law enforcement now has given up and there continues to be some motorist risking everything just to shave 30 seconds off their commute time.

wintersun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fuel taxes for gas and diesel are different in my state with diesel at $0.75 per gallon which is $0.05 higher than for gasoline per gallon. The trucking lobby is pushing for higher federal fuel taxes to pay for the roads the trucks beat up and no doubt they will be successful as with all industry lobbies.

I cannot believe that fuel prices are high when the majority of drivers I see on the highway are driving at 75 MPH for trips of 10 miles where they save seconds of their time or see heavy duty pickups blasting but and even lifted 6 inches and with oversize tire. Most Americans complain about high fuel prices but do little or nothing to drive so as to burn less fuel. It will be a milestone moment when I see the majority of drivers driving at 65 MPH.

parkersdad
Explorer
Explorer
Likes to tow wrote:
bmanning wrote:
I sold my 7.3L F250 back in 2008 due to diesel being around $4.75/gal.

I didn't "need" a diesel then or now, but I'd likely still have it if fuel prices weren't utterly ridiculous. I couldn't justify 15mpg at that price since the need wasn't there.

I think fuel prices keep a lot more people out of diesel than may be realized.

If you don't need a diesel then don't buy it! They are a pure joy to tow heavy loads with but not worth the extra cost of fuel and possible repair costs to the average daily driver. I know many people who have diesel 4X4's and tow absolutely nothing. Why??

Because they can! I have one and only tow 6000 pounds. Most of the time I use it as a daily driver. You have to pay to play.

Claude_B
Explorer
Explorer
It's $1,55 a litre here in Montrรฉal area or $5,86 for a US gallon. It was around $1,35 last october.
Claude
2013 Gulf Stream VISA 19ERD
VW Touareg TDI 2013
VW Passat 2012 TDI

james65450
Explorer
Explorer
The price of diesel here in Belleville, Ontario is $1.47 a litre. That works out to be $5.41 a gallon. Was looking at a couple of 7.3 f250's to replace my current truck. Any fuel savings that I would have saw would have been taken away with the high cost.
Vanguard P96T 9.5' on a 1997 F250HD 4x4 7.3

Likes_to_tow
Nomad
Nomad
bmanning wrote:
I sold my 7.3L F250 back in 2008 due to diesel being around $4.75/gal.

I didn't "need" a diesel then or now, but I'd likely still have it if fuel prices weren't utterly ridiculous. I couldn't justify 15mpg at that price since the need wasn't there.

I think fuel prices keep a lot more people out of diesel than may be realized.

If you don't need a diesel then don't buy it! They are a pure joy to tow heavy loads with but not worth the extra cost of fuel and possible repair costs to the average daily driver. I know many people who have diesel 4X4's and tow absolutely nothing. Why??