cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Diesel vs gas......................

blt2ski
OK folks, there have been a few to many diesel vs gas threads that have shall we say gone to "Hell and a hand basket"! So if all of you would put in you BEST, no flaming reasons for going gas vs diesel, pro and con, I will either leave your thread, or copy and paste pertinant info to the 4 posts of pro and con of diesel or gas. This can include the GM 8.1 vs Dmax or Ford V-8/10 vs PSD etc too.

Be real and honest in you answers, not hear say, flaming etc PLEASE!

If posts are good ones, I will leave, if inflamatory or trolling in nature, they will be deleted! I will get this stick'd to the top for future parusing for those that need this type of info.

Added 6-23-04

We are getting closer to answers I am looking for etc.

Stuff like Ken's - T-Bone posts are good. There are a few others of you that have not posted, some with a 9 point question and answer type to figure out how you went with one or the other. If you are one of those, PLEASE repost in this thread. I may have to look up whom has done this and PM you, but if you think this is you, you now know what to do.

Also, for those of you with $ per gallon for either fuel right now, I would prefer to see a post with ...."in my area, diesel is typically .10 less than unleaded" then explain your numbers. As currently in the Seattle area, diesel and unleaded are any where from 2.05 -2.30 per gallon, with mid test .10 more and premium about .20 more, with equal high low splits. Two weeks ago those prices were upwards of .30 -.40 per gallon more. people were posting $ per gallon that were for me. "I wish" If someone is reading your post a year from now, they may want to know where your paying 1.65, when the price of fuel is over $3 per gallon. Let's keep prices out of it if possible.

Bert and tin tipi, got into a good discusion on the pros and cons of RPM's, drive train etc. I would prefer to NOT see the quote of the other in responding threads, maybe just write a quick wording of re tranny gearing, instead of the whole 40 words or so in that paragragh, so the repsonse is shorter if possible quicker and easier to read etc.

I have deleted some 15+/- posts, that were off topic etc. Please note, I am trying to keep this at the top, as the ONLY gas/diesel thread in this area. So if one is trying to decide, we do not have to go thru this BS any more. As such, I will be deleting ANY future posts close to resembling this type of topic. I may have to change "this" title to a better one, if one has a better sounding title, to be more positive, better claification, let me know here, or in a PM/e-mail, what ever you feel most comfortible with.

Again thank you for all of you that are keeping responses positive, etc.

Also we could use a few more positive reasons to go gas, as many can see I have both gas and diesel, both have a place! Both have positive reasons to buy that fuel, lets keep the threads etc to that purpose only!

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer
4,683 REPLIES 4,683

Rvndave
Explorer
Explorer
big russ wrote:
holy mackerel! all these diesel vs. gasser posts are starting to give me a headach.the way i look at this is WHAT are you going to do with this truck? how much are you going to drive it? how many trips a year are you going to tow? the difference between gas and diesel isnt that much now and its closeing,by june its going to be the same if not sooner.the upkeep on a diesel is higher,yea better milage, longer engine life, bla ,bla, bla,but you PAY for it.i just bought a 2006 gmc 8.1 with a ally 6 speed, dulley.yea a BIG gasser,why?cause i didnt want to shell out the difference why? cause i drive a smoker everyday for a liveing,so i know about costs.second i only drive my pickup MAYBE 150 miles a week if that.i take maybe one or two camping trips a month within a 100 mile radious and two long trips (over 300 miles) a year.yea if your a fulltimer or tow a lot (like everyweek)id say go for the smoker.but for me nomore than i use it i,ll take a gasser.

You complain about the diesel vs gas post. Then you read about it, and even post a long comment. If you don't like the gas vs diesel posts don't read or respond. Duhhhh bla bla bla.
2003 Jayco 308fbs eagle 33' tt, towed by a 2003 Ram 3500 slt, quad cab dually, cummins diesel ho, trailer towing package, with 6 speed manual. Hauls better 1/2, 3 kids, myself, and a 2003 ez go clays car.. I have added so far, neon lights, clearance lights, back up lights, black light, lift kit, mud tires, and everything necessary to make the golf cart street legal. It's now ready to spend the winter in the garage for more mods. More neon, strobe lights, alarm, a pa system, maintance, and whatever else that comes along. This golf cart does wheelies and travels thru 7 inches of mud when need be. Two honda eu2000i gens twinned to supply the electrical power. Latest addition an 04 Honda Goldwing. [url]http://www.hometown.aol.com/rvnagain/myhomepage/profile.html[url]

seatrout46
Explorer
Explorer
Today's prices in Rockport Texas:
Reg gas 2.839
Diesel 2.619
Better mileage and cheaper fuel too!
2708 Mobile Scout
2006 Dodge Mega Cab CTD 2WD:p

dalej
Explorer
Explorer
Amen
2005 Chevy HD2500, ext cab, 4x4, 8.1, allison,lwb,srw, 265 75 16's, timbrens

big_russ
Explorer
Explorer
holy mackerel! all these diesel vs. gasser posts are starting to give me a headach.the way i look at this is WHAT are you going to do with this truck? how much are you going to drive it? how many trips a year are you going to tow? the difference between gas and diesel isnt that much now and its closeing,by june its going to be the same if not sooner.the upkeep on a diesel is higher,yea better milage, longer engine life, bla ,bla, bla,but you PAY for it.i just bought a 2006 gmc 8.1 with a ally 6 speed, dulley.yea a BIG gasser,why?cause i didnt want to shell out the difference why? cause i drive a smoker everyday for a liveing,so i know about costs.second i only drive my pickup MAYBE 150 miles a week if that.i take maybe one or two camping trips a month within a 100 mile radious and two long trips (over 300 miles) a year.yea if your a fulltimer or tow a lot (like everyweek)id say go for the smoker.but for me nomore than i use it i,ll take a gasser.

TexasBorn
Explorer
Explorer
BertP wrote:
I think that it is a fruitless argument. Neither HP nor torque by themselves will guarantee a successful installation in a TV. You have to have the correct gearing for the engine and sufficiently stout vehicle parts to make a successful TV. My point has been that too many people believe that the engine with the higher torque rating is the better tow engine. Whether that it truw or not is dependent upon how you define "better".

Bert

Very true, well spoken
2007 Outback 29BHS TT
2004 F350 DRW PSD, 4 Door, 4X4, 4.11

"You can never have enough truck or power"

BertP
Explorer
Explorer
I think that it is a fruitless argument. Neither HP nor torque by themselves will guarantee a successful installation in a TV. You have to have the correct gearing for the engine and sufficiently stout vehicle parts to make a successful TV. My point has been that too many people believe that the engine with the higher torque rating is the better tow engine. Whether that it truw or not is dependent upon how you define "better".

Bert

TexasBorn
Explorer
Explorer
The argument between what is better torque vs horse power has been goin on for a long time on the web. I see it both ways. They are two different things. And no one can win the agument wich one is better to have. I guess if you think about it you can have one with out the other.
2007 Outback 29BHS TT

BertP
Explorer
Explorer
TexasBorn wrote:
Well in my mind that is a no brainer. The diesel has less power and less torque BUT it makes what is important when trying to move something weather its a trailer or the car its self, TORQUE!

I don't understand your point here. The 302 generates more torque than the diesel, so by your logic, the 302 should be the better TV engine.

You should reread my post about the tank. The engine in the Abrhams, which weighs around 70 tons, produces less than 300 lb ft of torque - less than half the torque produced by my DMax. By your theory, my DMax would be a better engine for that tank than the one that is in it. But, the engine in the tank produces 1500 HP - almost 5 times the power output of my DMax. I doubt that my DMax could move that tank at anything over a crawl.

TexasBorn wrote:
And BTW as you know HP IS juat a mathmatical calutation of torque and work.

You mean torque and rpm (HP = Torque * RPM / 5252). Then, torque is just a mathematical calculation based upon HP and RPM (Torque = HP * 5252 / RPM). Then, RPM is just a mathematical calculation based upon torque and HP (RPM = HP * 5252 / Torque).

TexasBorn wrote:
Also I am puling 400ftlb at 1500rpm, as to 3000rpm at 400ftlb with the Mustang.

And the difference is? The bottom line is that, with the correct gearing, that Mustang engine will drag two of those diesels all over the back 40 without breaking a sweat. It develops more than twice the power of the diesel. As long as you have the proper gearing, the torque output of the engine is meaningless as far as determining the capabilities of an engine is concerned.

Bert

TexasBorn
Explorer
Explorer
Well in my mind that is a no brainer. The diesel has less power and less torque BUT it makes what is important when trying to move something weather its a trailer or the car its self, TORQUE!

And BTW as you know HP IS juat a mathmatical calutation of torque and work.

Also I am puling 400ftlb at 1500rpm, as to 3000rpm at 400ftlb with the Mustang.
2007 Outback 29BHS TT

BertP
Explorer
Explorer
Yes.

Seriously, the lower powered one would probably be "better" because it is running at a lower rpm. The 302 is probably generating its max power at over 5000 rpm. Will the 302 pull a bigger load than the 220 HP engine? Yes. Will it burn more fuel doing it? Yes. Will it last as long? Probably not. Which one is "better"? You have to choose for yourself.

Bert

TexasBorn
Explorer
Explorer
Ok I have a quiestion for Bert and Dave.

I have a diesel that was rated at the factory with 220HP and 400FT TQ. I also have a dyno proven supercharged Ford 302 that has 550 HP and 520FT TQ. My question is what engine would be best for a TV?
2007 Outback 29BHS TT

BertP
Explorer
Explorer
You have a blessed Easter, too, Boomer ๐Ÿ™‚

Bert

BoomerZ
Explorer
Explorer
Peace BertP.

Have a blessed Easter.

Boomer
2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Quad Cab Short Box 5.9 CTD
2005 Rockwood 8318SS
01 Harley FXDWG2 Limited Edition

BertP
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry, Boomer, I took your post as sarcasm not humor. I assure you, I don't need any Valium.

Bert

Supercharged
Explorer
Explorer
Rvndave wrote:
Torque is the power that turns the wheels. Horsepower is created from a formula using torque and engine rpm. Torque can be measured, horsepower has to be calculated using torque. I will rather tow with a high torque motor vs a high horsepower motor. Check into what I am saying you will find this to be true.

Very ture. Mine has both. 395 hp. 425 touque.
So big a world, so little time to see.